Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 03:49   #196

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
i am new here, and have been reading a lot, but how is the Nautitech compaired to FP or Lagoon.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 06:12   #197

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
How much is a Nautitech 44 cruise or sailaway ready?
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:55   #198

Well a Nautitech 44 looks very good i think, and ready, just about as all the other boats out there,i think. you always have to ad stuff on all boats mono or multies.

How do they sail, are they slow like the Lagoon, or a littel faster as the FP, or what ?
looking at the weigth, it will be fast.
anybody that have one ?
Old 21-04-2009, 08:11   #199

I was asking price for the Nautitech.
About speed...well it is lighter than a Lagoon, but it also carries less sail area. Is it faster than a Lagoon...maybe. Does that make it fast...hardly. I was at the BVI Regatta week on the committee boat and watched a custom 40 cat and a 35-40 ft trimaran. I would call those fast. There were a couple of cruising cats...well they finished hours later. The fifteen minute difference was hardly anything to get excited about.
Cabin height is 6'2. hardly spacious. Bridgedeck clearance looks lower than a Lagoon, so it will be somewhat noisier in a seaway.
Doesn't have a flybridge so expect to spend a lot of time standing behind the aft wheel trying to see where you are going over the cabintop. Huge blindspot under your leeward side when steering from windward side or visa versa.
It was difficult to see whether they accomodated two fridges in the galley. Do you know?
Old 21-04-2009, 08:14   #200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Cheers for the clarification. I wasn't trying to be picky (honest ) just that with a passing interest in Multis but in the absence of any direct experiance of Multihulling and being aware that multihull design has "moved on" in recent years - I was curious as to whether the philosophy behind multihull boat designs had also changed more than I had realised in regard to bad weather.

I agree with you here!

(and BTW I wasn't suggesting that a Mono would automatically have fared better in these circumstances, maybe it would not have capsized and remained inverted, but who knows if this weather would have resulted in something else as bad - although I am definately not a religous person, I do tend to subscribe to the theory that if the Gods decide against you at sea, then you are in the doo doo - whatever the vessel)

But I think a mono would automatically fare better in these circumstances. However it gets bashed around, a monohull will turn back right side up. It might roll and get dismasted, but in the worst case you can ride out practically any storm in a monohull, dismasted or not, lying ahull. It's really quite hard to sink them in the open ocean from weather alone.

It is otherwise with a multihull, which relys on form stability, rather than weight stability. Multihulls will flip over in a broach when the waves are higher than the boat's beam, will stay inverted, break up, and sink. I'm not bashing multihulls, and I agree that their superior speed can be a crucial safety factor, but I think that in really frightening weather one would always prefer to be on a mono.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:16   #201

i have that info, i will find it and come back, i have to drive the kids on training.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:26   #202

Heh dockhead, do you have any supporting evidence that multihulls, after flipping, will break up and sink? I've read the contrary, that after they flip they don't sink.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:43   #203

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Heh dockhead, do you have any supporting evidence that multihulls, after flipping, will break up and sink? I've read the contrary, that after they flip they don't sink.
No I don't any statistics. I've always read that this is the case, and there are tons and tons of reports of multihulls lost at sea (broken up; sunk; or flipped and crew lost). Some of them even have escape hatches in the bottom. I admit that this is not a scientific study, but I do have a strong impression that I would rather be in a monohull in really bad weather.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:55   #204

"tons and tons of reports of multihulls lost at sea (broken up; sunk; or flipped and crew lost)"
Dockhead, You are so wrong. However you have based your statement on your impressions and I won't bother trying to convince you otherwise.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:57   #205

Price starts at 440k euros, owner version
Bridgedeck clearance is 0.8 meter =2,6246719fet.
Weith is 9.2 tons=20 282,528 us pounds.

for the 44 nautitech
Old 21-04-2009, 09:25   #206

Well the lagoon weighs 10% more but carries 20% more sail area. Bridge deck clearances are similar. I can't put my fingers on that nuimber easily.
440k euros is about the same as the L440 base price. Was that Nautitech's base?
Old 21-04-2009, 09:30   #207

base price 4 cabin, 348780 euros. no tax.
the other price was with Fr tax. + owner.
Old 21-04-2009, 09:33   #208

the Polar shows @100degr,
wind at 10knots speed at 8 knot,
wind at 15 knot speed at 10knots,
wind at 20 knots speed at 12 knots.
Old 21-04-2009, 09:39   #209

seems less expensive than a L 440. That may be good if you like the boat. Speed is similar.
Old 21-04-2009, 10:06   #210

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'
sail4ever nailed it. Dockhead, please don'r throw around comments like "there are tons and tons of reports of multihulls lost at sea (broken up; sunk; or flipped and crew lost)". NAME TWO! I know of just one in the past ten years - a new Lagoon 380 being delivered to Annapolis from the factory in France. The delivery skipper decided to take a middle Atlantic route in the middle of winter as opposed to the traditional southern route via the northern Caribbean and up the east coast. The skipper was lost, but the crew of three stayed with the overturned hull until recued by the Coast Guard.

One of the first purchases we made for our new Lagoon 440 was a parachute sea anchor. Long story short, do your best to not put yourself in harms way and, if you end up there, be prepared.

Regarding the questions about the Nautitech 44 or any other cat with regard to speed/comfort. Any cat is a tradeoff. Yes, Lagoon is a little heavier than some of the others and a little slower. However, the cruising comfort of our Lagoon 440 is at or near the top of the list. I consistantly sail our boat at 8-10 knots while on a broad reach in 15-18 knots apparent wind. Downwind, with the cruising chute up, we have been at a sustained 13 knots, with an apparent wind of 5-8 knots.

One other thing about the Nauticat. For the life of me I can't figure out the concept of placing the helmsman out in the weather. Also, as previously mentioned, the helmsman is totally blind to the opposite side of the boat. Much has been written, both pro and con, about the flying bridge helm station on the Lagoon 440, but we love it.

Enjoy looking for and finding the cat that is right for you - that's half the fun.
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440