Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 08:58   #31

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: lagoon 440 repair- big hole in hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentin View Post
one question:

would you do it if you had available qualified working force at 10$ an hour?

electricians, plumbers, etc?

It’s rare to find “qualified” at $10 an hour.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:02   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
That is a big hole indeed ! It certainly is possible to repair but I doubt anyone here will be able to tell you what to based on 2 pictures.

It seems she lost her mast as well, there is a huge investment to bring her back afloat. Did you get some repair estimate by professionals around ? When you do the math, don't forget about the lower resale value.

Keep us posted, this is an interesting project !
hi,
mast is there it s just not stepped.
it s not about reselling, I d just like to use it for diving tours, for some 20 M a day.
Like I was already saying, I may have access to qualified guys for 10$ an hour., electricians, fiberglass...now I m asking people around here, and listen to them... it does not mean I don t talk to professionals, ...
Old 25-02-2018, 09:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It’s rare to find “qualified” at $10 an hour.
yes, but you d agree if I explained it to you...and believe me they are as qualified as it can be
Old 25-02-2018, 09:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
DO NOT buy the boat.
If they offer to give it to you, run away.
I would take your advice but not based solely on it
Old 25-02-2018, 09:30   #35

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: repair advise -very big hole in the hull(lagoon 440)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Was the boat in the water when the damage was done and if yes, how much of the interior was flooded? Repairing the hull is a big job requiring boat building professionals, but it can be done - huge patches are routinely cut out of the sides of power boats to change engines and gensets. I would be more concerned about the extent of other damage, because the list could be endless and you won't know what needs to be replaced until each flooded area is dismantled - a very deep money pit.

Ten cuidado
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group.
Good points! If the damage is limited to the hole in the hull, it might be worth repairing. What would it cost to buy a used Lagoon 440 of the same year, in good condition? Get estimates for the repairs and compare the two values before you decide.

It can be done, and it's not necessarily a massively expensive job. A boat crashed up on the rocks and a fellow here bought it for almost nothing and set to work repairing the huge hole in the side. Today, it looks like new and is out sailing. He did the work himself (a somewhat "professional" painter/fiberglass repair fellow).

If the Lagoon sank, then all bets are off. It's not something to go into blindly...
Old 25-02-2018, 09:33   #36
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentin View Post
yes, but you d agree if I explained it to you...and believe me they are as qualified as it can be
It is obviously a 2008+ L440 model, worth 300+ kEUR if in good condition. @10USD per hour labor you may be able to get it all done for 15 kEUR +/-5k + tools, equipment, etc ... It could be well worth it !
Having a perfectly symmetrical cabin on the other side will help a lot with interior wood work.

I guess Minaret would be the expert here on CF, he might be able to put a price on such a repair.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:46   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Just pay some guy $10 bucks to tell you how to do it they're so readily available and skilled.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:52   #38

Boat: Boatless

Ahh, a story as old as time. I love her! I can change her! Why won’t she love me :-( All is lost.

A four part Greek tragedy.

This story has played out in boatyards over and over. If you want that experience go for it. It will cost more and take longer than can be imagined. It may never sail again and will be one of those boats you walk by on the hard and think “what happened there.”

Typically after a year of trying to get the 10.00/hr professionals to show up, assuming they are not poached by any of the other 10 new owners vying for their attention you will either:

A. sell her for about what you paid for her to an optimistic 20 something and his girlfriend with big dreams. They will continue the saga ending in the same place or to add insult to injury will finish and go off to post the pictures of faraway places that you were suppose to be in.

B. Once the divorce and bankruptcy are finalized you’ll get a part time gig at the yard where you have now resided for 18 months and become one of those guys with a Presidente in his hand at 8am.

C. You will get her “seaworthy” but that little voice in the back of your head as you pound into 6’ sets and a 25knt headwind will never shut up, ever.

I’m just having fun now. You may pull it off but there is a big cost. The guys I’ve seen do it are boatbuilders or deep in those trades. They don’t ask questions like this because they don’t have to.

Compare to buying a wrecked car at auction. It’s you and the guy from the auto body shop bidding. Which guy most likely to make the best decision and bring the car back to life in 3-4 weeks at a number where it can be sold at a profit? Think of the learning curve to get to his position.

One final thought, sale time. I bought a custom cat and just overcoming that objection was challenging. Imagine the documentation you would need to prepare to convince the next owner to pay anything close to what you put in it. Did I mention the insurer?

So my advice. If you like the boatyard life go for it. If you want to go cruising pony up a bit more and go cruising. Ya never get those years back.

Good luck!
Old 25-02-2018, 09:52   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Was the boat in the water when the damage was done and if yes, how much of the interior was flooded? Repairing the hull is a big job requiring boat building professionals, but it can be done - huge patches are routinely cut out of the sides of power boats to change engines and gensets. I would be more concerned about the extent of other damage, because the list could be endless and you won't know what needs to be replaced until each flooded area is dismantled - a very deep money pit.

Ten cuidado
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group.
I'll second this. If the boat flooded then everything that was under water will be suspect. That could mean all new wiring, replacing wood bulkheads, cabinet work.

Take it from someone that has rebuilt two boats, both with sound hull, deck, rig, etc. Just redoing engine, interior woodwork, wiring, plumbing and all the other little bits and pieces will take hundreds and hundreds of hours.

I bought a 42' monohull that was structurally sound but otherwise a real mess. I had a full time job and a family so didn't work full time but a lot of evenings and about half my weekends were spent working on the boat. I launched after seven years. This is from someone that's been working on boats for 40 years.

The damage you can see is almost certainly a small fraction of what will need major, serious repair. Every bulkhead and piece of wood attached to the area OR attached to wood attached to that area is probably knocked loose or broken.

If you're prepared for years of work and tens of thousands of dollars in parts, tools and supplies you might end up with a lot of boat that you could not otherwise afford. Just know going into it that this is a huge, multi year, multi thousand dollar project and will consume every spare minute of your life.
Old 25-02-2018, 09:56   #40

Boat: Prout

Having read the previous answers one which hasn't been raised.......Will an insurance company be willing to cover you fully comprehensive having ploughed the money into it. Maybe they would 3rd party but be worth investigating first of all
Old 25-02-2018, 09:59   #41

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

At least you'd have the other hull to use as a mold for the repair piece!
Old 25-02-2018, 10:01   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I also don't understand. If you have a qualified work force, they should be able to answer your question.
Old 25-02-2018, 10:03   #43

Good advice by all... the "hole" in this boat is pretty serious.

it is no where near the same as repairing a smaller say softball hole... I would be very concerned about the unseen damage...

Anything can be fixed with time and money. For the amount of time and money you will sink in to this project... you could be another boat and replace a lot of stuff.
Old 25-02-2018, 10:31   #44

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

...that'll buff out, no problem.
Old 25-02-2018, 10:32   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
At least you'd have the other hull to use as a mold for the repair piece!
Or just convert to a mono...problem solved!
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, lagoon, Lagoon 440