Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 13:46   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44'8")
Lagoon 440 -- Need Input on Appliances

Ahoy,

My wife, daughter and I have purchased a Lagoon 440 (owner's version) and we're bringing her up to NYC, ditching our apartment and moving aboard! It's a long-time dream and we're very excited!

First, to note, we have more than ample solar panels (a veritable array) so much so that on a sunny day we can hold a charge stable when disconnecting shore-power. Second, we have a Northern Lights generator (new) installed. Third, we'll have shore power.

So that in mind...

I'm looking for some advice/input on some work I'm thinking of doing:

1) Installing an electric head in the owner's hull.

2) Air Con/Heating -- there are two 1" thru-hulls that could possibly be used for this, but if it can't we'd love to get your opinion on what to do. Would something like this work? LG LP1411SHR 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with 14,000 BTU Electric Heat, 600 sq. ft. Cooling Area, 10.1 EER, R-410A Refrigerant and LCD Remote Control

3) Electric range -- has anyone ever tried installing an electric stove-top so as to not have to refill the propane tanks? Again, would something like this work? Kenyon B41603 21" Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 2 Radiant Ribbon Elements, Hot Burner Indicator Light and Black Glass: 120 Volts

4) Drawer dishwasher -- not sure we'd actually do this, but if I have a good month at work I was thinking about installing this: Kenyon B41603 21" Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 2 Radiant Ribbon Elements, Hot Burner Indicator Light and Black Glass: 120 Volts

Understood that we'd probably need to shut off certain things while we're using others and I know those are lubberly options but I like to remind myself that I've convinced my wife to grab our 2-month old daughter and accompany me on this adventure and therefore I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Myles
s/v Forcynthia
MylesK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 00:38   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon 440 -- Need Input on Appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesK1 View Post
Ahoy,

My wife, daughter and I have purchased a Lagoon 440 (owner's version) and we're bringing her up to NYC, ditching our apartment and moving aboard! It's a long-time dream and we're very excited!

First, to note, we have more than ample solar panels (a veritable array) so much so that on a sunny day we can hold a charge stable when disconnecting shore-power. Second, we have a Northern Lights generator (new) installed. Third, we'll have shore power.

So that in mind...

I'm looking for some advice/input on some work I'm thinking of doing:

1) Installing an electric head in the owner's hull.

2) Air Con/Heating -- there are two 1" thru-hulls that could possibly be used for this, but if it can't we'd love to get your opinion on what to do. Would something like this work? LG LP1411SHR 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with 14,000 BTU Electric Heat, 600 sq. ft. Cooling Area, 10.1 EER, R-410A Refrigerant and LCD Remote Control

3) Electric range -- has anyone ever tried installing an electric stove-top so as to not have to refill the propane tanks? Again, would something like this work? Kenyon B41603 21" Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 2 Radiant Ribbon Elements, Hot Burner Indicator Light and Black Glass: 120 Volts

4) Drawer dishwasher -- not sure we'd actually do this, but if I have a good month at work I was thinking about installing this: Kenyon B41603 21" Smoothtop Electric Cooktop with 2 Radiant Ribbon Elements, Hot Burner Indicator Light and Black Glass: 120 Volts

Understood that we'd probably need to shut off certain things while we're using others and I know those are lubberly options but I like to remind myself that I've convinced my wife to grab our 2-month old daughter and accompany me on this adventure and therefore I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Myles
s/v Forcynthia
Wow you must have sweet talked hard and strong!!!!!
I love having gas to cook with both on our yacht and at home, WHY? Because when there is no power you still have the ability to cook. It's all to do with the concept of 100% redundancy, honestly carrying/maintaining gas is not a huge one.....

My wife and i bought up our twin boys till the age of two on our 35 foot round bilge yacht moored in a creek here in Gladstone Australia. We moved ashore because we noticed the boys were not walking, preferring to drop to a safe crawl as soon as they felt any movement in the boat HOWEVER im sure a marina somewhere in NYC has good access to parks/stable ground,,,,keep an eye on it :-)

Can't offer advice on your choices regarding electric head, dishwasher and A/C as the Lagoon we are buying has them installed. I would think get advice/price/decide etc,....

Cheers hope all works well, good plan :-)
Old 16-12-2011, 04:41   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

In NYC the winters are to cold for that system.
Just purchase a few of these portable oil heaters or go with a diesel furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable oil heater.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	34813  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 05:29   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I would not install electric range or dishwasher. Using propane for just cooking, the tanks last a long time. You'll get tired of having to start the generator to warm up a can of soup, electric is very inefficient for cooking and even more so via generator. A dishwasher takes up too much room and is another waste of energy. A friend with a power hungry trawler just removed his dishwasher as they never used it and he has 24kw of genset.

IMO, of course!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 22:43   #5

Thank you! These comments are helpful! We'll probably NOT do the dishwasher drawer and electric range, although since we'll need air con we might as well get the benefit of heating, too. But I agree we'll need a couple space heaters, too.

Very helpful comments! Thank you!
Old 16-12-2011, 23:07   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

Reverse cycle is as far as my Australian conditions knowledge can assist you. What i do know is boats tend to get very cosy with a heater running totally adding to the comfort/ambience. I'd dump the dishwasher/electric range combo as well, just ain't yachtie orientated!!!!!!
Old 17-12-2011, 05:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesK1 View Post
Thank you! These comments are helpful! We'll probably NOT do the dishwasher drawer and electric range, although since we'll need air con we might as well get the benefit of heating, too. But I agree we'll need a couple space heaters, too.

Very helpful comments! Thank you!
I doubt if reverse cycle will be enough in NYC, from watching the news, it gets damn cold there!

I have reverse cycle and you need to realize that boats are not insulated like a house. Hence, with a central heat system on a cat, the hulls will be ~10 degrees cooler than the salon. I have a space heater we run in the head before taking a shower. (yeah, we're wimps!) But I only need heat maybe once or twice in a season, and that's only in the mornings.

Good luck!
Old 17-12-2011, 06:07   #8

Hi DotDun,

Agreed. We're thinking about getting something like the Vornado fan heaters. I'm not a big fan of the type that Cotemar showed above, especially since our little girl will be crawling soon.

I'll probably get something like this: Heaters, Fans, Air Circulators, Air Purifiers, Humidifiers, Personal Fans | Vornado.com

It can sit out of the way and still push the hot air around.

BTW, NYC does get pretty cold (depending on what you're used to). The temperatures are fluctuating a bit more than in the past (it was nearly 60 degrees F yesterday) but it can vary between 15F during the winter and 96F during the summer.

Yours by the sea and stone,
Myles
Old 17-12-2011, 08:18   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

You might want to seriously consider a hydronic, diesel fired system. You can run the hot water hoses through your cabinets, which helps to reduce condensation and mildew, through to your heads (I've even seen people do towel warmers!) and then where you need the registers. You get an excellent source of heat, you don't have to have the generator on, and you can also plumb in a hot water tank for essentially unlimited hot water (well, at least to the capacity of your tanks). Probably less cost than a reverse cycle system, too, if you're starting from scratch, and you don't need A/C.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 13:40   #10

Hi ID,

Thanks--we'll look into that. We have to look into that. Most of the winter we'll be at the dock so I'm not sure I want to run the generator that much if I can use shore power instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Myles
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27   #11

Hekla, and atlantic 57, has a electirc cooking system and he goes into some of the detail briefly here:
The catamaran Hekla | Exploring the World by Sail from A to Z

toward the bottom of the page.
Tim
timandchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:14   #12

Here's an update to the earlier thread...

Thank you all for your comments.

It was VERY helpful to get your insight. We're in the process of upgrading our shore power from 30 to 50watts. Then we're installing an electric range (Stove/oven).
Old 23-02-2012, 11:53   #13

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

we have 2 x 5kw "eber" watherheaters in our L380.
with 3 x 2kw heaters on each hull.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:31   #14

How comfortable is to live abroad of a catamaran in a cold weather even with an heating system ??
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 10:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
How comfortable is to live abroad of a catamaran in a cold weather even with an heating system ??
Most boats have zero insulation.

Tags
appliances, lagoon, Lagoon 440