Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 15:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Lagoon 420 Owners & Fans

Lot's of interest, it seems, for the Lagoon 420. This thread is a hangout for owners (current or future) to hang out and get in touch.

If you're a current, future or possible owner, please introduce yourself, and let us know your aspirarions.

For my part, I am the owner of Hull #42 which I intend to name "Dignity". I will have Dignity in charter for a few years (with CatCo) whereupon my wife and I intend to live aboard and cruise.

Steve
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 16:02   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420-41'4" Martha R
We're waiting with anticipation for hull #11, the "Martha R", and will be with TMM. It will be a 4 cabin cat, and we plan to use it to escape Michigan winters for some time each year. Check it out at www.MarthaRcharters.com. Looking forward to more info from other owners. We put our deposit down 2 years ago in Annapolis, and have spent many hours looking, planning, waiting for the day the boat will arrive. Doug and Cathy
Quiet Riot 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400
We are hull #77 and just got the bad news that our delivery date (from the factory) has been pushed back from July '07 to September '07. Despite the delay, we're very excited about the boat. We haven't finalized a name, yet, but we're working on it.

We will be at Annapolis over the weekend. I can't stay for the demo sail, but my wife will.

Like Doug, we will be putting the boat into charter with TMM. I've had some contact with Doug before and he's very knowledgeable and helpful. I think the parts co-op is a great idea. There's at least some strength in numbers and we can all learn from each other's experience/research/etc.
The 'electric main drives' thread has been useful to follow. I hope this one is as good.

Charlie
cjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:03   #4

BVI Spares

I'll talk to CatCo about their perspective on the spare parts pool for the L420s.

Incidentally, yesterday, I received a delivery date of March 9th, 2007 for Dignity. They have now listed her as hull #20. Not sure what's up. I do know there is a US Hull count which is separate to the manufacturers hull count which may explain the difference.

Steve
Old 03-10-2006, 13:33   #5

A new member to the thread

Hello All My name is Andrew and I hope to be a future owner of a lagoon. I have always sailed monohulls and I am changing to a multihull. I have my thoughts on a lagoon 38. The prices all vary so much so how much should a newish or brand new Lagoon cost. I checked NADA and that wasnt helpful. It seems that boat prices deminish over a short time. Any thoughts would help. Luck with your cats.
Zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 15:34   #6

Lagoon 420 pictures published

Official Lagoon web site published Lagoon 420 photos:
http://www.cata-lagoon.com/420_pres_uk.php
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 16:12   #7

Exciting stuff eh? Now that I've seen the pics and video I need to go and touch. Can't wait to Friday.

I have spoken to my broker today. Seems there's been a bit of a muddle over what they have said to me in the past. My delivery date has been delayed but they had my hull number and delivery date wrong all along. My old hull no was 42 and delivery in April. Now I am being informed I am hull #20 and my delivery date has been delayed from 2/1 to 3/9. Ho hum. Not too many complaints. I'm back in the top 20 which was what I was told when I put my deposit down. I had convinced myself that #42 was probably better but now I'm back to #20 I'm glad. Fickle me.
Old 03-10-2006, 16:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag
Hello All My name is Andrew and I hope to be a future owner of a lagoon. I have always sailed monohulls and I am changing to a multihull. I have my thoughts on a lagoon 38. The prices all vary so much so how much should a newish or brand new Lagoon cost. I checked NADA and that wasnt helpful. It seems that boat prices deminish over a short time. Any thoughts would help. Luck with your cats.
If the 380 is like the 420 then the options are no small piece of the equation yet you won't be encouraged to look at the pricing by any broker you talk to. However, no harm in you asking for a price list. I can forward you the 2007 option list for the 420 if you want.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43   #9

response to ess105

Quote: If the 380 is like the 420 then the options are no small piece of the equation yet you won't be encouraged to look at the pricing by any broker you talk to. However, no harm in you asking for a price list. I can forward you the 2007 option list for the 420 if you want.

Than would be excellent
Zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:40   #10

Boat: Still Looking
[quote=ess105]Exciting stuff eh? Now that I've seen the pics and video I need to go and touch. Can't wait to Friday.

I have spoken to my broker today. Seems there's been a bit of a muddle over what they have said to me in the past. My delivery date has been delayed but they had my hull number and delivery date wrong all along.

Finally, the following is from my broker. Perhaps it will answer some questions for others as well. Steve M

Hi Steve,

Don Margraf and I are leaving our respective cities (Oakland and Seattle) early tomorrow (Wed.) morning, and flying ot the Annapolis Sailboat show.

We're attending the Lagoon Deaers' meeting Wed. night, where I anticipate getting further news about the production of the Lagoon 420. Then, Wednesday morning we'll have a thorough, hands-on inspection of the first L-420 to reach America. (It just arrived a few days ago.)

Meanwhile, you'll be pleased to know that your timely order of your boat is already showing dividends. The current price for a Lagoon 420 is now approx. $419K....substantially more than you ordered one for. Congrats to you!

The latest news -- straight from Dieder Gust, Chairman of the Board of CNB, the overall "umbrella" company for Lagoon, Jeanneau, Beneteau, etc. (please see attached letter) -- who verifies that projected production numbers for the L-420 have been scaled back. That means that everyone's L-420 is going to be completed about 15% to 20% further down the line (calendar-wise) than initially projected.

Don and I will be able to quantify that as it specifically pertains to your purchase (and our other half-dozen L-420 buyers), and let you know upon our return to the west coast.

As it happens, after Annapolis I must stop off in Canada for several days. So, I won't be back at my desk in Seattle until Friday or Saturday, Oct. 20th or 21st. I look forward to speaking to you then or within the following days.

If something urgent comes up, while we're in Annapolis you can reach Don (510-469-3330) or me (206-491-5384) on our respective cell phones.

Kind Regards,

Rod Gibbons

September 29, 2006

Rod Gibbons
Cruising Cats USA
5905 Seaview Avenue, NW
Seattle, WA 98107

Dear Rod,

I am writing to you with regard to the planning of the new Lagoon 420 boats that you have on order for your clients.

Since the start of the development of this project, we have wanted to take a careful approach. Our original plans assumed the construction of approximately 10 to 15 hulls before the annual factory shut-down in August 2006, but as the development of the boat continued we soon realized that it would be safer to concentrate on the successful and thorough completion of the first 3 boats that we needed in order to launch the product to the public during the fall boat shows.

A revised schedule was then set up based on a full production year and we announced ex-factory dates based on this planning.

Following a review of the systems and the development progress of the boat, as Chairman of the Board of the Company I decided to reduce the production capacity for the first year in order to focus on maintaining quality control rather than achieving pure volume production. The impact of this reduction in production was a further delay in the ex-factory dates for the Lagoon 420.

We understand how eager your clients are to receive their boats, so I wanted to contact you directly to apologize for these consecutive delays. Please be assured that the sole reason for these delays is to ensure the quality of our product: the Lagoon 420 is a new and innovative catamaran that requires all our attention to make sure that we deliver the boats in perfect condition to customers who will be fully satisfied with their new boat.

I trust that you will update your clients with this latest information and pass on Lagoon’s apologies to them on our behalf.

Yours faithfully.

DIETER K. GUST
Chairman of the Board
CNB/Lagoon

Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:16   #11

[quote=ess105]Lot's of interest, it seems, for the Lagoon 420. This thread is a hangout for owners (current or future) to hang out and get in touch.

Hay Steve, never thanked you for setting this new thread up for the 420 people, so thanks!!

Steve M
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28   #12

No probs Steve - it's not at all hard to do.

Looks like all the dealers are receiving more or less the same letter from Mr Gust and they, in turn, are passing this onto us.

I, for one, am looking forward to talking to Lagoon at the show to see what their perspective is on this.

I think it is useful that we share our dates as it will keep the dealers honest. I'm pretty sure a few of them read this board.

Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 13:38   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Folks ---

Been out of town for awhile, only to return to this news. Oh, well, I suppose it could be expected: New model, lots of new technology, lots of training needed for new tasks on the factory floor. Probably more than a few "oops! what do we do with this?" moments over there, too.

I also heard from my dealer with similar news. Our late July date will probably be late September or early October. This does create some concerns, as I don't particularly relish trying to sail out of the Bay of Biscay in late October/early November, but I suppose that's better than January!

I'm really not too concerned the dealers. In many respects, they are subject to the same frustrations -- they just get the news slightly ahead of us. My dealer made an interesting comment, though: He recalled when the situation with the 440 was similar. Lots of boats had been ordered, early assembly problems leading to delays, and then positive reviews that got even more orders, up to a 2-year waiting list. Lagoon really buckled down, though, opened another line and got caught up surprisingly fast. So, maybe what we need to see is that they sell even more at the boat shows.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Delays, etc., may be a PITA, but there is a big advantage to being early in line. I just looked at the 2008 price list posted at Catamarans.com Pricing out my boat with the same options would cost $80K more, if ordered currently. Gulp! That's almost a 20% price hike. That likely would have put it over our budgetary tolerance limit.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23   #15

[quote=Intentional Drifter]Delays, etc., may be a PITA, but there is a big advantage to being early in line. I just looked at the 2008 price list posted at Catamarans.com Pricing out my boat with the same options would cost $80K more, if ordered currently. Gulp! That's almost a 20% price hike. That likely would have put it over our budgetary tolerance limit.

Year Built/Model Year:
L.O.A:
42'
Model:
Lagoon 420
Builder:
Lagoon
USD ($) Price:
$492,647

(With a 13.5 KVA Generator)
Steve M.