Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 14:02   #1111

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca
I have Australian made Seahawk Slipstream S7 props.

Bob
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:20   #1112

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Lagoon 420 Owners & Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca View Post
I have Australian made Seahawk Slipstream S7 props.

Bob
How to you like the performance and reverse with your Seahawk Slipstream S7 props.

I have folding props now and do not like the power in reverse
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:58   #1113

Cotemar,

Forward performance is excellent, reverse adequate. Given that you tend only to use reverse when maneuvering they seem OK to me. It's never been a problem.

Bob
Old 13-12-2013, 12:27   #1114

Boat: Lagoon 450

My 420 does not have a generator, and I want to install a water maker. Even if I install a turbine, I don't see how it will handle the consumption. There are currently 3 panels on the boat, but not sufficient to run the fridge, freeze, and autopilot.
Also, where can I get parts for the sliding door?
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 14:10   #1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
My 420 does not have a generator, and I want to install a water maker. Even if I install a turbine, I don't see how it will handle the consumption. There are currently 3 panels on the boat, but not sufficient to run the fridge, freeze, and autopilot. Also, where can I get parts for the sliding door?
On our 420 we don't have a generator, but we do have a watermaker.

Our setup is:

850W solar panels on the Bimini
840Ah house batteries
Honda 2KVA portable generator for backup
Standard generators on the 40Hp Yanmars
400W wind generator

Fridge
Freezer
Washing Machine
TV (incl satellite antenna)
Spectra Cape Horn Extreme watermaker with Z Brane

We manage on solar for most of the year, without needing to run the main engines or backup Honda. BUT we are in Queensland Australia, a climate similar to California or Northern Florida where we have good sun most of the time.

The watermaker has 2 pumps and draw/output is 9A/35lph or 18A/60lph. In the warmer half of the year the house batteries are charged by midday and after that excess power can be used to produce water. Any time we motor, we turn on the watermaker.

In winter months or if there is a period of overcast weather I pull out the Honda and plug it into the shore power to charge batteries, make water or heat water. Can't do all of these at the same time but you can charge batteries while making water.

The big advantage of the 420 is the large Bimini. I could add more solar but I find our current system adequate.

In your area there may be less sunshine so I would put as much solar on the Bimini as you can. I leave a walkway to provide access to the mainsail, but if you want to spend more money you can use walk on panels. You will be able to get in excess of 1000W Solar fitted.

I also have a wind generator, but it's a waste if money. Recommend you go solar with backup petrol genset.

Bob
Casablanca L420
Old 13-12-2013, 14:41   #1116

I was looking at the Honda, but nervous about keeping gasoline on board, mainly because of the horror stories. I like your ideas. I was looking at the Kiss wind gen, as we will be mainly be in the Caribbean. Pretty constant NE. I would love to see the layout of your panels.
Thanks a lot of the help!
Best!
Old 13-12-2013, 15:08   #1117

"I was looking at the Honda, but nervous about keeping gasoline on board"
You do not carry fuel for a Dingy outboard ?
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 22:46   #1118

That's right, you need gasoline for the outboard anyway. I keep the gasoline in the forward locker adjacent to the anchor locker. It's well out of the way of ignition sources, away from the living areas and separated from the rest of the boat so the risk is minimal.

I think you are wasting your money with a wind generator. The theory is that the wind blows constantly but in reality it doesn't happen.

Bob
Old 14-12-2013, 05:13   #1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"I was looking at the Honda, but nervous about keeping gasoline on board"
You do not carry fuel for a Dingy outboard ?
Good point.
Old 18-12-2013, 19:44   #1120
SVP

Hello! First time on Cruisers Forum! Hope it's ok I started this thread at the end of another conversation. I am a "new" 2007 lagoon 420 owner. I hope to take her up and down the Atlantic Coast in and out of the ICW.

I realize the bridge clearance of my 2007 420 is 64'9" but I also have a raymarine st60 windspeed instrument on top of the mast that may be 6". and an antenna that appears to extend a foot above the mast. (I haven't been up there). The bridges on the ICW are 65 feet.

Have any of you Lagoon 420 owners gone down the ICW? Do you just go under the fixed bridges at low or mid tide to avoid damage to your equipment on top of the mast? I figure I can lower the antenna but doubt I can change the windspeed instrument height much.

Would love any advice/sharing of experience. This looks like an awesome forum. Thanks!!!!
-SVP
SVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 15:00   #1121

Not sure about the ICW, but plan to bring my boat back in May, to Annapolis for the summer. Are you based anywhere, or just rambling around?
Old 19-12-2013, 18:48   #1122
SVP

Bought Sea Vous Plait out of charter from Horizon in BVis and keeping her there through April still chartering and sailing 6 times this year. In May plan to bring her near my home in the Carolina's, fix her up and hope to wander this summer and fall from NC to Florida if work schedule and weather permit. Need to learn more about sailing and maintenance and find a few bases in the process. Love Annapolis- took an ASA course there and had a blast. Perhaps can keep Sea Vous plait there next summer or another...

********Again, If anyone has experience lagoon 420s and their tight mast height of 64'9" plus w wind direction equip and antennae going under 65 foot ICW bridges please lemme know.*******

Thanks!!!!
SVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 03:25   #1123

What a coincidence, I will be coming back in May from St. Thomas. Plan to make a straight passage to Norfolk, and up the bay. I'm new to sailing too, but managed to find experienced crew to help me make the trip. One broker, from Annapolis, told me the boat would not make it up the ICW, without cutting the mast down. I would go on the main forum and ask about bridge heights.

I spend a lot of time in OBX kitesurfing. Absolutely, beautiful island.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:17   #1124

Took my boat out of charter last May and sailed it to Annapolis after some minor refit. Did it in a 4 day hop to Mayaguana, then wandered up the Bahamas, then a 6 day shot to the Chesapeake with just my wife and myself. Great trip. Came back down with the Salty Dog Rally in November - 10 days direct. Great experience.

The ICW is not pleasant with a mast near the limit unless you like stress and nail biting. I read one blog where they had the 420 mast professionally shortened in Florida because they enjoyed the ICW. Expect a significant expense for that since it means moving the gooseneck and modifying both sails. Personally I'm happy on the outside.

Last comment - with a boat coming out of charter, expect many maintenance surprises. You will become expert at doing it yourself or significantly poorer.
Seaqul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:46   #1125

As much as I love my 420, there are a few things that I don't understand. Why would they configure the head set up like that. I'm only 6' tall and 175lbs, and feel like a contortionist. Also, how do you brush your teeth or wash your face with the med cabinet hitting you in the head? Lastly, all the bolts and nuts that hold the bimini down, have no lock washers, and come loose often.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420