Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 19:27   #241

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
The Lagoon Owner's Group on Yahoo is pretty active and has expressed interest in keeping the L420 owners there.

j
Closing rank's eh.

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 19:31   #242

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
^^ Must be the rhetoric that goes with anything french then
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 19:46   #243

I think it was more of the idea that the Lagoon owners wanted to learn from the 420 owners but....
Old 08-01-2007, 19:57   #244
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Nah, I think it was more likely they were the only ones who would have us.

One of the things I really like about this forum, though, is that even though there are a fair number of Lagoon owners (and future owners), there are also even more non-"goonies" that take part in the discussions.

For a neophyte like me, I find that really, really important and helpful. I've never liked sacred cows.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 20:11   #245

MMMmmmm Sacred Cow, tasty.

Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 21:27   #246
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Being from East Texas, there's only one way to serve it, slow-cooked in a hole in the ground, with Bodacious BarBQ sauce. Mmm, good!

http://www.easttexasguide.com/2006/pdf/guide/P040.pdf

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 23:06   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Lagoon 42 weight
empty 24692 lb or 11200 kg
loaded 31813 lb or 14430 kg

Lagoon 50
empty 41500 lb or 18820 kg.
no loaded weight shown.
That's the kind of data I like to see. Where can we gather such data on other cats such as the Dolphin, Leopard, Privlege, Sea wind, other Lagoons, etc. At this point its not so important as to why they are so heavy, just that they are. If I have a choice between two Cats that are in most regards the same, I'll go for the one that is truely 10K lbs lighter any day. I just would like the true data so I can make an informed decision.
I'm not sure I trust the data from Cruising World in Cruising World - Cats By The Numbers
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:23   #248

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Don't like the use of empty weight.
"No equipment at all except the weight of the boat with the largest engine option". Marketing could leave lots out such as sails or winches hell even the dunny if if they need to make it sound better.- Meaningless
Light displacement and maximum loaded seem appropriate.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 16:09   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Dick
Just a thought - shouldn't you guys set up your own website for Lagoon420 owners? I am sure there will be many post-delivery issues you will want to sort out amongst yourselves...
In case anyone is interested, I started a Lagoon420 Yahoo group for the reasons stated by Moby, as well as, others. Since November we have a whopping 8 members. I was not aware of this forum and this thread until a post by Charlie. By the way, the new group was totally shot down by most of the usual guys that post to the lagooncatowners site (yahoo).

A dedicated site may prove more beneficial in the future when members wish to post pictures.....another benefit is that yahoo emails you when there is a post.....does this site do the same?

I too have placed a deposit on a 420 and will be taking delivery in France sometime at the end of this year....or not!!!!...it sounds as though there will be further delays....I initially was supposed to get a July delivery....at this point, I am in no hurry and an early '08 delivery is fine with me.....

I intend to get some concrete information about production delays, delivery times and other issues from Nick Harvey at the Miami show.... I suggest we organize a get-together for those of us who will be attending the Miami show...I'm sure we could get Nick Harvey to give us a special "after hours" tour and explanation of the 420's systems, as well as, a Q&A session that would prove most informative and interesting to us all.

Another benefit will be that he will see us buyers as a united group....and, as we all would agree, there is a certain strength with numbers....whether it be in securing information, buying parts, cabinetry or otherwise...

On a last note, it appears that there a few of us here that have purchased our boats through Rod Gibbons/Cruising Cats.....did any of you guys get the newsletter from Lagoon referenced in recent posts?

Regards.

Mike.
MikeMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 17:17   #250

Boat: Lagoon 420
Response to MikeMak

Hi Mike,

Congrats on your L420 purchase. A very wise decision if I may say so may self (Biased? Moi?)

This site mails you when new messages are added to threads you have commented on so it seems fairly similar in that respect.

I'd say one of the benefits of this site is that there are quite a few non-420 owners paying attention to this thread and this livens the debate. If nothing else it stirs comment and we learn more.

Lagoon are now providing transparancy around production to their listed owners. This was the result of a group initiative from owners that congregated on this site we were able to get an initial letter from Lagoon as well as receiving the first issue of what has been communicated as a weekly newsletter. Lagoon were very clear that this was not to be forwarded and that communications back to them should be via our dealers. This is certainly progress from my perspective. I recommend you give your email address to your dealer, have them contact Nick Harvey to ask him to send you the first newsletter and put you on the distribution for the subsequent ones.

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 18:25   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet
I'm not sure I trust the data from Cruising World in Cruising World - Cats By The Numbers
Bloody hell , some of these thing's must have lead in their keel's

Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 18:39   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
Lagoon are now providing transparancy around production to their listed owners. This was the result of a group initiative from owners that congregated on this site we were able to get an initial letter from Lagoon as well as receiving the first issue of what has been communicated as a weekly newsletter. Lagoon were very clear that this was not to be forwarded and that communications back to them should be via our dealers. This is certainly progress from my perspective. I recommend you give your email address to your dealer, have them contact Nick Harvey to ask him to send you the first newsletter and put you on the distribution for the subsequent ones.

Steve
Is this just so Lagoon can tell the owners how good they are and to get you to buy the next model ?

After all they must be good, they told you so.

As I said in my earlier post, I would just like to know what all that extra weight is made up of.

After looking at that Cruising World - Cats By The Numbers site it's obvious that is not just Lagoon that has a weight issue, so don't think for a second that i'm just singling Lagoons out.

After all how much timber trim, extra batteries, liferaft's etc do you have to have to get to an extra ??thousand kg over other designs weight's

Dave
Old 10-01-2007, 01:52   #253
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Although certainly progress, limiting the distribution of information* to the possible future pool of complainants (purchasers) looks, to my uneducated eye, more like a legal liability avoidance ploy, than an effort towards transparency.

* Originally Posted by ess105
”Lagoon are now providing transparancy around production to their listed owners ... Lagoon were very clear that this was not to be forwarded ...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:02   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
After looking at that Cruising World - Cats By The Numbers site it's obvious that is not just Lagoon that has a weight issue, so don't think for a second that i'm just singling Lagoons out.
The whole industry has an issue in that there is no standard for weight comparisson.

I also think it is a personal statement when you say that any boat has a weight issue. We all have different requirements for our boats which means one mans issue is anothers benefit.

I am delighted with what I have seen of the Lagoon 420 so far. This is going to be my future home and it's no shoe box. The living space on this boat no doubt equates to some additional weight. As long as the performance doesn't suck I will remain very happy with my boat as will have got exactly what I want based on my needs.

Steve
Old 10-01-2007, 04:12   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Although certainly progress, limiting the distribution of information* to the possible future pool of complainants (purchasers) looks, to my uneducated eye, more like a legal liability avoidance ploy, than an effort towards transparency.
"Future Complainants" - that's an interesting perspective.

The only issue I have had with Lagoon so far is they took our deposit well over a year ago and subsequently provided very little information. My personal view is that I do not see myself as a future complainant but a stakeholder in an exciting new development. I've taken some financial risk on this and as such I expected better.

At this point I have now handed over a $100k. I expect to be in a privileged position as a result. This has improved since our recent efforts.

For the non owners, the information is still making it's way out via these and other boards. When these boats start appearing on the water in numbers, then you'll get the real information on how they perform and what they are like to live in.

Steve

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420