Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 11:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Lagoon 42 Bridge Deck Clearance?

Hi all, I can't find the Lagoon 42 deck clearance data in any of the Lagoon's materials.

Does anyone know this info?

Also, for any L42 owners who have sailed the L42 offshore, how was your experience with pounding, if any?

Thanks!
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:24   #2

Re: Lagoon 42 Bridge Deck Clearance?

Bump. For L42 owner, what is your understanding of, or experience with, the boat's deck clearance / pounding while offshore? Thanks.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21   #3

BlueBuddha, have now done a lot of sailing offshore in my 42 with minimal if any pounding. New to cats but pleasantly surprised. My teeth rattled more in my old mono!
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03   #4

Have not sailed a L42, so my thoughts are qualified.

Bridgedeck clearance is only one part of the "slamming equation". If other aspects are the same, the higher bridgedeck will slam less. Other considerations are the bridge deck width; a wider bridgedeck span between the hulls will slam more than a narrower span with the same clearance height. There is also bridgedeck shape; a curved and shaped bridgedeck will slam a lot less than one with large flat areas for waves to impact on.

So cats with low, wide and flat bridgedecks slam hard, whereas those with high, narrow and shaped interhull bridgedecks slam a lot less. All recent Lagoon models can be classified as the latter.

The L42 hull shape seems very similar to our L400. These bridgedecks have no flat areas between the hulls; they are shaped, curved and moulded to include a central "nacelle". This area is also relatively narrow compared to some other catamaran designs because of the wide hulls, and relatively high in clearance. The result is a design that does not slam as much as others of similar size.

It must be said that whilst some designs slam more and some less, it is all relative. Sailing or motoring hard into short, steep waves will be uncomfortable in all designs, but worse in some, better in others. Bearing away 20 or 30 degrees, will make all designs much easier to live with.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

I think that the issue of bridge deck slamming was raised by older design cats that had very low clearance; and I agree with prior posters that slamming is a complex phenomenon that is affected by sea state, hull design, variance of clearance dimensions fore and aft, point of sail, and other factors. In the right conditions, any cat will slam. That said, my Leopard 39, which has less than the minimal clearance many schmexperts recommend, didn't slam at all in shortish five foot waves and 35 knot conditions. Certainly, the more bridge deck clearance, the better; but along with that comes increased windage, already an issue for cats.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:13   #6

Boat: TBA

Most slamming can be avoided by altering course a few degrees, the one that is difficult is at anchor when trying to sleep on some of the older cats.

I did measure the 42 at a boat show and think it was about 700mm but that is a light boat ,not in cruiser mode!!! with all the fuel, water and goods on board.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, lagoon