Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 15:17   #1

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Lagoon 410 question

My wife and I are in the process of chartering older cats as those will be in our price range when I retire in a couple of years. This August we will be chartering a Lagoon 410. We have chartered a Main Cat 30 (too small as I am 6’6”) a Main Cat 41 (too $$) a Lagoon 380, and Island Sprit 37. The 410 seems to give us the little bit of extra space that the Lagoon 380 lacked but I am concerned about the heat and diesel vapors from the engines, that, as I understand it are located under the berths in the main staterooms. This was a real problem with the Island Sprit and out clothes smelt of diesel fuel for months afterwards.
Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated regarding engin placement and/or the boat in general.
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 19:14   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
A modern diesel should not smell in its compartment. Any smells will be due to spilled fluids, leaking fluids or leaking exhaust, which should be avoided (spills) or corrected (leaks). If an engine smells, it is an indication of poor or sloppy maintenance - more of an appraisal of its owner than its engine compartment.

Don't judge engine placement by charter boat experiences. These boats are often poorly maintained, and when maintenance is done, it is a rushed job to get ready for the next charter. Spills are common and leaks ignored until they cause actual problems.

Heat should be mitigated by good insulation and exhaust blowers. A good engine compartment will be insulated enough that heat does not readily extend beyond it and a few minutes of blowers after shutdown will cool the compartment off.

The Lagoon 410 is a decent sailing boat. My opinion is that it has better sailing performance than the 380. More so than could be contributed to the extra waterline length.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06   #3

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Thanks Mark, it's good to know that our experiences with the Island Sprit might come down to poor maintiance and insulation. We are chartering with a smaller company and the owner oof the 410 sails her whenever she is not chartered so if, like in the past, the boat will be well maintained. No to see how she sails and on to the next test boat.

Fred
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 00:31   #4

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
I chartered the L410 out of TMM in Belize March of 09. Its on yacht world for $199K. It had ~5500 hrs on the engines. No engine smell tho the engine heat made the bunk hot unless you shut em down before 4pm. Even opened the engine compartments for several hours to dissapate the heat then closed em back down to air out the aft cabins. Still hot but, finicky wife didn't complain of smell during whole trip. So I say OK
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40   #5

Frinds have a 410, nice boat, they really enjoy it. I'm pretty sure the engines (Yanmar Saildrives) are in the back of the boat and sealed off.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon