Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 14:13   #1

Boat: lagoon 400s2
Lagoon 400 washing machine

Hello, our Lagoon 400S2 has a washing machine (SOBA Babynova 1150 rapid) installed in our starboard hull. I need to get it out (or turn it 180°) to check the water discharge system on the back of the machine, as it seems to be blocked. However, it looks like Lagoon first installed the washing machine and then built a (very tight) cupboard around it ... Any advice on how to get this machine out ? Thanks in advance !
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:20   #2

Re: Lagoon 400 washing machine

Don't know about the 400, but in the 450, we needed to remove the cover door and take out the clothes bin under the Washer, and then undo the bolts from below the washer, it was a difficult exercise needing right spanners etc. Then the electrics and plumbing need to be disconnected so the washer can move out. We used a couple of boards under the machine to lever it up a bit to make it slide out. It is also difficult to get back in. It is not an easy exercise.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 18:47   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I have to say when you write abou a wasing machine I think of short high choppy seas not laundry! ��
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 19:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Don't know about the 400, but in the 450, we needed to remove the cover door and take out the clothes bin under the Washer, and then undo the bolts from below the washer, it was a difficult exercise needing right spanners etc. Then the electrics and plumbing need to be disconnected so the washer can move out. We used a couple of boards under the machine to lever it up a bit to make it slide out. It is also difficult to get back in. It is not an easy exercise.

Thanks Bean Counter, the bolts - that was not a problem. Also disconnected plumbing and electrics. But the cupboard is built really tight around the machine, you can barely slide your hands in between, let alone get some grip on a quite heavy machine. So you just confirmed my fear having to take off the front panel/cover door ... and maybe even a side panel.... Not an easy exercise at all.
I'll have a go at it tomorrow.
Old 19-10-2017, 19:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I have to say when you write abou a wasing machine I think of short high choppy seas not laundry! ��

I think I prefer short high choppy seas in this case [emoji849]
Old 22-10-2017, 01:29   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Hi Jugga,
Just picked up your post, how have you got on? I have taken my machine out twice without taking the side off. It's tight but can be done.
Cheers
Old 22-10-2017, 08:43   #7

Hello Roger, taking the front panel/door off was sufficient. It was really tight though, but got the machine out and fixed the drainpump. It's back in now does it's job again. Thanks for following up !
Old 29-10-2017, 02:40   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

How you open the door of this beast, what is needed to turn it on?

(Sea cocks, switches ... ) I guess, you must run either the inverter or the generator... There is no mechanical lever to open the door... Only the emergency opener with a small stick ...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 08:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
How you open the door of this beast, what is needed to turn it on?

(Sea cocks, switches ... ) I guess, you must run either the inverter or the generator... There is no mechanical lever to open the door... Only the emergency opener with a small stick ...
Yes, the machine door only opens while under 220V power, or the emergency opener as you describe ...
Old 29-10-2017, 09:11   #10

Just out of curiosity what year model is your 400?
How often do you use the machine?

Just curious about life expectancy and mean time between failure of this pump or the machine in general.

We just ordered a 450F and opted for the washing machine as well.
BobScaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobScaggs View Post
Just curious about life expectancy and mean time between failure of this pump or the machine in general.
We have the same model BabyNova on our L400. It is 6 years old and does 95% of our liveaboard washing. We have had no reliability issues, which surprises me as I originally thought it looked like a piece of junk.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 16:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
We have the same model BabyNova on our L400. It is 6 years old and does 95% of our liveaboard washing. We have had no reliability issues, which surprises me as I originally thought it looked like a piece of junk.
Our machine is 3 years old, and apart from the pump that was recently blocked by a piece of Lego we never had any issues neither. It’s great to be able to do washing on board, however as a family with two young boys living full time on board, the 3kg capacity is on the low side. We do go the laundry with bedsheets and towels, when we are moored or at anchor. Also, the machine uses an average of 35 liters of fresh (drinking) water from our tanks per washing cycle of 3kg laundry, so you have to add the watermaker and the generator in this picture as well.
Old 30-10-2017, 01:51   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Thank you very much!

If I would order a brand new cat, I would not order this toy washing machine, instead add later a full-size one somewhere e.g. convert one of the two guest heads to a laundry or add it in place of the fridge in the cockpit - if possible. As I am buying a used cat, this machine is already there, so I have to make some use of it as is or recycle the space.

I had a chance to look in all spaces in the L400S2, they packed in every corner a lot of electrical stuff (Owners Version 3 beds, 2 heads), 4 AC units, a water maker, the batteries, the hot water tank, the Onan Generator... Almost all cavities are used, so storage becomes very limited.

If I would order a L400S2 from factory, I would omit all of this nice features and install some of them after delivery. I would add only 1..2 AC Units in the Master Cabin / Salon and add the water maker in the front locker near the water tanks. I would replace the battery bank by 1000Ah LiFeYPO4 and add a Victron 5000W Quattro Inverter + a large 1500W solar array at stern. Also I would go for a small 3...5kW Inverter-Generator (Panda) instead of the 9kW Onan and would add a diving compressor in the compartment along with the generator.

If doable, I also would replace the freezer cabinet by a full size residential Fridge/Freezer at the entrance and free the space of the fridge under the counter as storage for the galley. I would also consider to get rid of the propane in the galley and go all-electric (induction cook top, convection oven with internal microwave). In this case I would add a second inverter in parallel mode and go for the 5kW Gen. I would use propane for the BBQ only.

This would be the perfect live-aboard set up for me and will probably cost almost the same as the comfort factory configuration with Gen, AC, Inverter, Washer, Solar etc..

On a pre-owned boat one has to make compromises....
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:40   #14

Thanks for all the info!!
BobScaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 15:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post

This would be the perfect live-aboard set up for me and will probably cost almost the same as the comfort factory configuration with Gen, AC, Inverter, Washer, Solar etc..

On a pre-owned boat one has to make compromises....
Yep, it's all about compromises.

Rather than shift the position of the L400 washing machine, it is possible to replace with a larger capacity machine in the same nook.

We were lucky enough to buy a near new pre-owned L400 that didn't have a whole lot of unwanted "extras" such as AC in all cabins and a huge genset to power them. We were able to do as you described; add cruising extras in sizes and places to suit our preference. Just be aware that this sort of customisation is not cheap, easy nor quick. There goes the first year of your cruising life!

I can understand those that go cruising on a "compromised boat", and go now.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400, washing