Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 16:50   #1

Lagoon 400 Technical Notice - Nacelle Drainage

Hi all,

For those L400 owners not in contact with their dealer or first owner's dealer, this notice has been issued by Lagoon to help correct drainage problems.

To anyone who has completed this modification - did you find the measurements accurate ie how close to bottom of cavities did these measurements place the new drainage holes?

Cheers Brett

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460504944.302642.jpg
Views:	2714
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	122543

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1460504963.745825.jpg
Views:	2200
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	122544

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 03:45   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Lagoon 400 Technical Notice - Nacelle Drainage

How do I access Lagoon Technical Notices? There may be some for my L450 and I haven't seen any yet?

DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 03:51   #3

My dealer contacted me.

I don't know if Lagoon maintain a public accessible list of post production modifications.

Suggest you ask your Lagoon dealer.

Good luck.

feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 04:02   #4

Boat: LAGOON 400

that is same issue Tuskie highlighted here ?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1835040

==============
Not loving my L400 today!

Whilst installing watermaker feed to water tanks I discovered bracket fungus growing on water tank mounting floor. Armed with a screwdriver I prodded the ply floor that the tanks sit on and found that the section between the two tanks in front of the mast compression beam is very soft. Eaten by the fungus! Not good, especially in a 4 year old boat! Ours is hull number 141.

This area is not critically structural. If it totally rotted the two 300 litre tanks would drop to rest on the hull bottom not far below. The retaining brackets would probably break under the increased load due to no support from below.

Replacing this section is going to be a PITA job. Removing tanks and then doing a big cut out, grind back and re glass job inside the front locker is not going to be an enjoyable event.

It reinforces my long held opinion that wood in boats is something to be avoided! Any timber is too much! I know people with whole boats built with the stuff. I feel sorry for them! Pity I couldn't afford to buy a cat the size of a L400 constructed without any wood.

Fellow L400 owners, I suggest that you go screwdriver prodding in the front locker. Pay special attention to the horizontal ply base that the water tanks sit on. If it is sound, rejoice, and protect the area against future water ingress and rot. I suggest a liberal soaking with Everdure or similiar. If you find rot in this area; I send my commiserations!
=================
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 15:54   #5

I think that there is a definite connection!

The Technical Bulletin is an acknowledgement that the L400 forward locker/nacelle area needs better drainage and is defective from new. There are clearly warranty implications here.

If such an issue occurred in the automotive arena then a recall would be inacted. Car owners would be contacted and dealers would be paid by the manufacturer to rectify the problem. Why doesn't this this happen with our expensive boats?

I'm very interested to know how many Lagoon 400 owners have actually been contacted by Lagoon or their dealer network to notify them of the need to perform this modification. Other than Feebs ( thanks again, mate,) has anyone? Anywhere?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 20:29   #6

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

My dealer informed me months ago and offered to install
I have the drain kit and it's on the list of things to do, I think I will,get on it this week.
First look at the instructions was not encouraging.
I will see how it goes.

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 03:16   #7

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I think that there is a definite connection!

The Technical Bulletin is an acknowledgement that the L400 forward locker/nacelle area needs better drainage and is defective from new. There are clearly warranty implications here.

If such an issue occurred in the automotive arena then a recall would be inacted. Car owners would be contacted and dealers would be paid by the manufacturer to rectify the problem. Why doesn't this this happen with our expensive boats?

I'm very interested to know how many Lagoon 400 owners have actually been contacted by Lagoon or their dealer network to notify them of the need to perform this modification. Other than Feebs ( thanks again, mate,) has anyone? Anywhere?
Hello Tuskie, I received my 'kit' a few days ago with instructions and a cheque for $100.00 from the Lagoon dealer in Sydney who I brought my L400 from. I am not going to fit it until I have it on the hard for anti fowling due later this year, in the instructions the say to fit it from one's dinghy, I don't think I have a problem so not an urgent job. One must acknowledge Lagoon doing the right thing producing a fix. I was going to post this but go beaten to the post.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 03:24   #8

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
How do I access Lagoon Technical Notices? There may be some for my L450 and I haven't seen any yet?

From what I have been told I think this issue is unique to the L400 but couldent be sure.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 03:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
From what I have been told I think this issue is unique to the L400 but couldent be sure.
Wonder if these 2 holes provide air flow so inside can dry, or for water to find its way out ?
Old 14-04-2016, 05:27   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
that is same issue Tuskie highlighted here ?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1835040

==============
Not loving my L400 today!

Whilst installing watermaker feed to water tanks I discovered bracket fungus growing on water tank mounting floor. Armed with a screwdriver I prodded the ply floor that the tanks sit on and found that the section between the two tanks in front of the mast compression beam is very soft. Eaten by the fungus! Not good, especially in a 4 year old boat! Ours is hull number 141.

This area is not critically structural. If it totally rotted the two 300 litre tanks would drop to rest on the hull bottom not far below. The retaining brackets would probably break under the increased load due to no support from below.

Replacing this section is going to be a PITA job. Removing tanks and then doing a big cut out, grind back and re glass job inside the front locker is not going to be an enjoyable event.

It reinforces my long held opinion that wood in boats is something to be avoided! Any timber is too much! I know people with whole boats built with the stuff. I feel sorry for them! Pity I couldn't afford to buy a cat the size of a L400 constructed without any wood.

Fellow L400 owners, I suggest that you go screwdriver prodding in the front locker. Pay special attention to the horizontal ply base that the water tanks sit on. If it is sound, rejoice, and protect the area against future water ingress and rot. I suggest a liberal soaking with Everdure or similiar. If you find rot in this area; I send my commiserations!
=================
I believe your hulls are balsa wood core?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 13:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I believe your hulls are balsa wood core?
yes, above waterline where needs drilling.
Old 14-04-2016, 14:56   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
yes, above waterline where needs drilling.

And I don't believe Lagoon has had major problems with the cored hulls? Point being, if done correctly wood is not a bad method of construction. If done poorly...........

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 15:53   #13

just was getting ready to survey a boat Lagoon 400 in Caribbean... surveyor sent me this comment....

"The last two of these boats we inspected had rotten bulkheads so please ask the question of the broker"

he said the bulk head was rotten and would be very expensive& difficult to get to and make necessary repairs, and although he had heard Lagoon was going to pay for repairs and offer 2 year warranty on work... he hard not seen lagoon do it on any... and that it was a known issue...

surveyor did not think the drilling of drainage holes was a GOOD solution..
mayanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 23:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello Tuskie, I received my 'kit' a few days ago with instructions and a cheque for $100.00 from the Lagoon dealer in Sydney who I brought my L400 from. I am not going to fit it until I have it on the hard for anti fowling due later this year, in the instructions the say to fit it from one's dinghy, I don't think I have a problem so not an urgent job. One must acknowledge Lagoon doing the right thing producing a fix. I was going to post this but go beaten to the post.
Very interesting, Peterp. I have recently spoken to the technical guy at the new Lagoon dealership in Sydney regarding getting Lagoon to pay for a warranty fix on what I believe to be an inherent fault. He denied any knowledge of the Technical Notice and said he would ask Lagoon about it.

Was your kit supplied by the current or previous Lagoon dealer?

It's good to see that some owners have been informed about this issue and possible rectification, but many haven't. My boat may be growing mushrooms due to rot, but I don't like being treated like a mushroom. You know, kept in the dark and fed BS.

The bottom line is that one way or another, my boat will get the whole area ripped our, checked for rot and repaired to a level far superior to the original. Drainage will be addressed from the inside out rather than the way Lagoon suggest. That way I'll know the drain holes are properly positioned.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 01:13   #15

Hi Tuskie,

i have checked on your original suggestion, area where 2 water tanks sit, and could not find anything suspicious.

In your opinion, is this area structural, ie can I drill a hole or 2 to have a closer look ?

I dont have much problem drilling under water tanks until not structual, but want to understand reasoning for hole that we need to drill thru hull.

Tags
cal, lagoon, lagoon 400