Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 11:43   #1

Lagoon 400 s2 tecma ? Thetford

Just ordered our s2 3 cabin 2 head for delivery in June 14 ! Eeekkkk
Early days but we are going through system upgrades/ options and have a few questions I would appreciate some practical experience on.
We will be captain/ hostess chartering in 2015 but only one or two couples at a time. Has anybody had the domestic style heads fitted? Mace raptor quiet flush What are pros/ cons.

We have opted for yamars for the spare convenience in the carribean, but would prefer the vp D2's , pros/cons on spare availability and sail drive issues? I think the VP has a plate drive as a posed to cones on the yanmar 50

Code 0 or gennaker , I'm leaning towards the gennaker but a mid weight , opinions?

Any views would be good to hear,
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 02:33   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Just ordered our s2 3 cabin 2 head for delivery in June 14 ! Eeekkkk Early days but we are going through system upgrades/ options and have a few questions I would appreciate some practical experience on. We will be captain/ hostess chartering in 2015 but only one or two couples at a time. Has anybody had the domestic style heads fitted? Mace raptor quiet flush What are pros/ cons. We have opted for yamars for the spare convenience in the carribean, but would prefer the vp D2's , pros/cons on spare availability and sail drive issues? I think the VP has a plate drive as a posed to cones on the yanmar 50 Code 0 or gennaker , I'm leaning towards the gennaker but a mid weight , opinions? Any views would be good to hear,
Bump !
Old 22-09-2013, 03:31   #3

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp
Re: Lagoon 400 s2 tecma ? Thetford

No experience with those heads but your Yanmars should be fitted with the new SD60 saidrive, it has plate clutches.
I would check and insist that what you want.
I shudder to say this but they can't be worse than a cone clutch and no-one wants old stock on a new boat do they?
Cheers,
Mac
Old 22-09-2013, 04:31   #4

Many thanks Mac, we have 50's on our options so will check up on that., my gut feeling is to go with Volvo's it's just the parts network in the Bvi and carribean in general ,Does anybody have any gripes that I need to watch out for?.
I know Ancasta have a good reputation for the commissioning and customer satisfaction over here in the UK, I have read. On some threads that the condensate on the fridges were a problem making issues with wood cabinets and floors, any updates?
Old 14-11-2013, 14:13   #5

Boat: Still looking

You might get more responses if you post in the Lagoon Manufacturer's forum - there's more 400 owners there. I have an interest in the Lagoon 400 but only found your post by chance through a google search.

Lagoon Catamarans - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
CartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 14:57   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post

We have opted for yamars for the spare convenience in the carribean, but would prefer the vp D2's , pros/cons on spare availability and sail drive issues? I think the VP has a plate drive as a posed to cones on the yanmar 50
+1 on the Yanmar choice. The big charter fleets have switched to almost 100% Yanmar for a reason. I have suffered bad Volvo service in remote places and understand why Moorings got rid of them. They cannot even agree on whether to use ATF or engine oil in the conventional (not saildrive) transmissions. With Yanmar you can spend a week doing training at Mack Boring and you will know your engine inside out..
I confess I have no experience with saildrives; all the boats I sail for fun and work have shafts.v
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 17:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
+1 on the Yanmar choice. The big charter fleets have switched to almost 100% Yanmar for a reason. I have suffered bad Volvo service in remote places and understand why Moorings got rid of them. They cannot even agree on whether to use ATF or engine oil in the conventional (not saildrive) transmissions. With Yanmar you can spend a week doing training at Mack Boring and you will know your engine inside out.. I confess I have no experience with saildrives; all the boats I sail for fun and work have shafts.v C
Thanks..... I suspected this was the case..... I prefer the Volvo penta as a engineered unit, for a start it comes with 110amp alt/ generator

Unfortunately we have postponed our purchase for practical reasons , but plan to reorder next year for 2015 delivery, the sloths in lagoons yard are surprisingly limited with a lengthy wait... They must be doing something right
Old 20-11-2013, 06:38   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440

Volvo's with mineral oil in the sail drive are very good, we carry spares e.g. impellers, filters the basics but i'd always buy a spare fuel pump, starter, injector pump if i came across one for sale. Cone clutches are a nightmare on any of the sail drives.

We run Volvo D2 - 55's.

Get cutters on the prop's for stray ropes fitted the amount of lines and ropes in the med is frightening and i'd think the same in the Caribbean. It cost us around 3,500 Euro's to rebuild box/drive from oil loss at 3am in dead calm conditions after we motored through a debris field after a storm.

Cheers

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400