Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46
Lagoon 400 or 400 S2

This may seem a silly question from the uneducated like myself, but what the differences between a Lagoon 400 and 400S2.
I am looking at options, to replace my mono with a Cat, and would like your feedback.
Big Joe Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 19:47   #2

Re: Lagoon 400 or 400 S2

In the salon:
S2 has extra cupboards mounted up high at the rear.
S2 has moved the electrical panel to near the Nav station which opens up additional space which I think can fit a fridge or freezer.

Both of these features are a great improvement I think. I am looking for a 400 myself and I think the original 400 has a lot of wasted space in the salon. I could probably put a marine pc and other electronics inside the electrical panel box to make the most use of that space. I would probably get additional cupboards installed similar to the ceiling one in the s2.

Cabins:
S2 the bed goes all the way to the side, rather than angle away towards the foot of the bed.

Probably other changes as well others can confirm.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:07   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

i know only S2. There is no change outside.

Inside S2 has been improved based on feedback of 300 or so owners, so I would say probably more efficient inside. My wife loves it.

Either is good.

Problem I found with L400 is port hull where fall down the steps is quite possibility for first time visitor. Thinking of adding some rope when guests on board.

And of course mooring bridle is an issue.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:50   #4

Moonos,

Thanks for the info, and the video.
Sounds like they have just tweaked the 400, with help from previous 400 owners, freeing up a bit id space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post

In the salon:
S2 has extra cupboards mounted up high at the rear.
S2 has moved the electrical panel to near the Nav station which opens up additional space which I think can fit a fridge or freezer.

Both of these features are a great improvement I think. I am looking for a 400 myself and I think the original 400 has a lot of wasted space in the salon. I could probably put a marine pc and other electronics inside the electrical panel box to make the most use of that space. I would probably get additional cupboards installed similar to the ceiling one in the s2.

Cabins:
S2 the bed goes all the way to the side, rather than angle away towards the foot of the bed.

Probably other changes as well others can confirm.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56   #5

I did notice the opening down to the hull, at a boat show a couple of years back, and wouldn’t want guests disappearing down below.
Will try and have another look at one or two, now we have decided that the way we want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i know only S2. There is no change outside.

Inside S2 has been improved based on feedback of 300 or so owners, so I would say probably more efficient inside. My wife loves it.

Either is good.

Problem I found with L400 is port hull where fall down the steps is quite possibility for first time visitor. Thinking of adding some rope when guests on board.

And of course mooring bridle is an issue.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45   #6

I'm looking at one today if there is anything you want to know? Not an s2 though.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57   #7

Quote:
I'm looking at one today if there is anything you want to know? Not an s2 though.

Moonos……………………

Thanks for the offer.

Mrs Big Joe would like to know if they can fit a washing machine, without ripping the boat to bits.
Can lagoon supply a rain / windproof see through canopy, to make outside area weather proof.
I am sure I have 99 other things but that at lease will keep my better ˝ happy.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15   #8

The s2 3 cabin version has a dedicated spot for the washing machine to fit in the owners hull. I assume the original 3 cabin has also.

I'm looking at a 4 cabin version and i will look, but I doubt there is room for one. I will convert one cabin to storage so that's an option.

I don't know if lagoon make clear side covers for the cockpit, but this could easily be done aftermarket.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:36   #9

Moonos,

Ok, thanks for the info, we would probably go for the 4 cabin version ourselves, with visitors and family etc.
However I need to sell my house and mono first.

Good luck, and keep me posted with how you get on.
Old 05-11-2014, 21:14   #10

If you get a 4 cabin 4 head model I think the best place for a washing machine would be in one of the heads. Plumbing would be easy to get to, and do you really need 4 heads?

Otherwise it might be possible to fit a small one under the helm station, but that spot is often used for a second fridge or freezer, it probably wouldn't be big/deep enough, getting plumbing would be a hassle and it would be exposed to a lot of salt water. Perhaps possible, but my priority would be more fridge room for beer than a washing machine
Old 05-11-2014, 23:40   #11

Excellent point about the beer and the fridge, however, Mrs Big Joe loves washing things.

Yes a freezer would be right up there on the list of necessities, probably more than a washer.

How did the boat viewing go, is she a keeper………….
Old 06-11-2014, 00:08   #12

Just waiting on the survey report and price negotiations.

Alternatively, fridge under sink, freezer under helm station, and washer next to fridge under sink.

If you get a s2 you will have added cupboards above the sink so still plenty of storage. I just realised that s2 has no cupboard above stove and microwave is often on port side.

I think skip the microwave.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:14   #13

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I believe the 400 originally had SD50 saildrives. These saildrives have had a lot of problems which you can read about on this forum.

My 400 S2 has SD60 saildrives. This is a different design and I have not heard of systematic problems with them. They also use the same oil as the engine which makes things a little simpler.

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell View Post
I believe the 400 originally had SD50 saildrives. These saildrives have had a lot of problems which you can read about on this forum.

My 400 S2 has SD60 saildrives. This is a different design and I have not heard of systematic problems with them. They also use the same oil as the engine which makes things a little simpler.

Brian
Thank you very much for this. Just in time too!

I wonder if a wet disc clutch is really more reliable. It seems not all L400 s2 have the SD60, but the more recent ones might. SD60 can change oil from engine room, and using engine oil this is a HUGE advantage for passage making.

Incidentally, the 29HP Yanmar uses a dog clutch (SD20) which seems to be much more reliable.

I had a surveyor and mechanic onboard for the sea trial, neither mentioned this issue. The mechanic did say something like "it's an SD50, you won't have any problems they are really good..."

It looks like I will be pricing an SD50 > SD60 conversion first thing tomorrow.

I have attached the details of the SD60 for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Introduction of SD60.pdf (458.0 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 15:01   #15

Quote:
Thank you very much for this. Just in time too!

I wonder if a wet disc clutch is really more reliable. It seems not all L400 s2 have the SD60, but the more recent ones might. SD60 can change oil from engine room, and using engine oil this is a HUGE advantage for passage making.

Incidentally, the 29HP Yanmar uses a dog clutch (SD20) which seems to be much more reliable.

I had a surveyor and mechanic onboard for the sea trial, neither mentioned this issue. The mechanic did say something like "it's an SD50, you won't have any problems they are really good..."

It looks like I will be pricing an SD50 > SD60 conversion first thing tomorrow.

I have attached the details of the SD60 for reference.
Don't stress too much about the SD50. There are heaps in use with very happy users, the few problems are widely broadcast but the majority are happy and silent. Treat them well and they will give good service. If the cones do start slipping they are easily repaired by lapping with grinding paste, either by a mechanic or yourself. There are plenty of instructions on internet for how-to. The SD60 may prove to be a more serviceable saiłdrive, but it's still fairly new and we'll have to wait to find out. In the meantime I'd be keeping the SD50s unless they couldn't be trusted, and spending the money on about a thousand more important upgrades. More efficient refrigeration, shade covers, solar panels, etc.

Why is the need to use a different oil in saiłdrive such a HUGE advantage? I haven't found the need to carry a small bottle of Mercruiser transmission oil for the SD50s such an imposition.

Happy shopping.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400