Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47   #16

Boat: Lagoon Cat 421 "Happy Cat"
Met an interesting French delivery skipper taking a L400 from France to the Caribbean. Sailing in very heavy weather. For those interested here is his blog. Martinique - Marseille - Blog de voyage - Uniterre.com
It was the basic model.
JJ
James Joll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:50   #17

Boat: L42
I would like to read the blog, buts it all in French!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 13:10   #18

Martinique - Marseille
• Tenerife
08/01/10 15 UT H 1

L: 30 ° 11'2 N G: 012 ° 55 'W

Cap: 240 ° Lives: 6 knots

Hello Earthlings,

The days go by and not alike.

The wind drops more, more than a dozen nodes always

NW. The sky is overcast, the sun is veiled but happiness ...

no rain or spray. Routine matters put to the test

these days dry. Things that were not even able to make

Safi, both grain succeeded. Still 200 miles to Tenerife ...

and I think we're running out of wind to the finish. There is

not so hot as that!

Some repairs to Tenerife and back in the rig

losing parts. Not very serious but a waste of time going gérer.Il

have to split tasks to leave as quickly and search

south the famous trade winds which should carry us far

Antilles.

No scheduled stops in Cape Verde but a road in search of wind

favorable for the deck faster.

We take this very quiet day to rest ....

reading, napping and some isolation. It does not hurt.

17 M 40 TU 1

L: 30 ° 02'6 N G: 013 ° 11 'W

Cap: 240 ° Lives: 6.5 knots

We are less than fifty miles from Lanzarote Island, the

most westerly of the Canary Islands. The wind continues to soften,

the sea is beautiful. To keep our average speed, start

engines for power because the sun is obscured solar panels

could not do their job and a hot shower before

attack the night shifts. It's weird not to be in

baston, it almost inevitably so we had grown accustomed! It seems

monotonous, more action, more good gusts, beautiful

surf ... the calm.

19 M 45 TU 1

L: 29 ° 55'7 N G: 013 ° 23'2 W

Cap: 240 ° Lives: 5 knots

It is dead calm there is more than a dozen knots maximum NW

(at least on "Td engine running so hot shower

crew! We are the gateway to the Canary Islands. Another day for

Tenerife win unless the wind has the right idea of a little freshening.

Too weird sensation of fullness and sereinité accustomed to

baston, we're speechless! So, great and small dinner aperitif! for

celebrate our relative calm! History also suggests something else

that job ahead of us to stop! Waterway to locate and

repair, rail genoa to screw ... and so on .. the list is

long .... and pleased to carry a new crew of my village.

Voilivoilou. Our crew on the spot organizing our stay that

will normally not too long. After it finally under the recliner

sun Inschallah!

23 H 50 UT 1

L: 29 ° 42'1 N G: 013 ° 31'5 W

The wind left us .... say that one had in abundance for 5 weeks

but not in the right direction, now we seek!

Port and starboard engines alternately every 3 hours, history of

does not consume too much diesel and as the sea is beautiful and flat as

Jane Birkin, it takes a decent speed.

09/01/10 6: 30 pm GMT 1

L: 29 ° 30 'N G: 014 ° 07'9 W

Cap: 240 ° Lives: 4.5 knots

Mouais ... it almost bored though some boats did not come

cross our path. Plus a bit of air. We walk to the ridicule Yanmar!

The barometer has been a dizzying ascent. Tomorrow it smells great

sunny.

11: 30 UT 1

L: 29 ° 15'7 N G: 014 ° 33'5 W

Great weather, shorts and t shirt rigor, we have just

100 Miles to be in Tenerife at this speed is almost 1 day

engine. I will try incantations to Aeolus and Neptune ... see

even sing if you really have. The anemometer is 2.6 points

knots of apparent wind, it must be weird for him too, then

it was rather accustomed to remain stalled at 30 knots.

Philip, I still have at least 20 hours, more than a bit of air

! I send a mail to the list of equipment to find! Good

evening. I beep you on arrival. Your car is ready ... hehehehe!

15 H TU 1

L: 29 ° 06'7 N G: 014 ° 51'5 W

Fall dizzying speed. Wind SE, hair cell in the nose and

current that we slow down. When it wants to do that really wants it!

of the 2 stroke engines to counter and keep our average.

I know one who is impatient in awaiting our arrival.

20 H TU 1

L: 28 ° 53'3 N G: 015 ° 17'9 W

After a video session and a good meal concocted by Charlotte, the

night shifts are taking place. We are more than 50

miles of Tenerife but the pace of yet as I

allow. We still have another ten hours before

return to terra firma.

10/01/10

6 H 30 UT 1

L: 28 ° 34'4 N G: 016 ° 02'9 W

Cap: 220 ° Lives: 4.5 knots

We are landing in Tenerife, IV Four passes the northern tip

East of the island. Still 12 miles to the approach of Santa Cruz and

Marina. We'll find Philippe and have breakfast with

him. Today a little break before repairing small sores

Four IV. We prepare the boat Monday.

Am disappointed with our average day, the wind did not keep its

Promises! No big deal, it happens and it's essential.

8 H TU 1

L: 28 ° 30'1 N G: 016 ° 09'7 W

Cap: 252 ° Lives: 5 knots

We sail along the east coast of Tenerife, very pretty, small

villages perched on mountainsides. You should know that at

Tenerife, there is the highest most point of Spain, Teide, a

gigantic volcanic cone which is 3717 meters high. It is

often snowy but currently we do not see as clouds and

fog prevents us to distinguish the top. The air is charged

humidity. A drizzle welcomed us on arrival.

9 H 50 UT 1

L: 28 ° 28 N G: 016 ° 14'6 W

Four IV is Ammar Marina del Atlantico. We now

grab our Esconacais Philippe and send an SMS via iridium.

Our call today will be fast but everything is closed, no

that can handle the cleaning and identify different stores

is needed. But I am sure that this work has been done by our

new teammate.

Good Sunday to all.

Crew of Four IV

Contribute a better translation
Thank you for contributing your translation suggestion to Google Translate.
Contribute a better translation:
Martinique - Marseille• Tenerife 08/01/10 15 UT H 1L: 30 ° 11'2 N G: 012 ° 55 'WCap: 240 ° Lives: 6 knots Hello Earthlings,The days go by and not alike.The wind drops more, more than a dozen nodes alwaysNW. The sky is overcast, the sun is veiled but happiness ...no rain or spray. Routine matters put to the testthese days dry. Things that were not even able to makeSafi, both grain succeeded. Still 200 miles to Tenerife ...and I think we're running out of wind to the finish. There isnot so hot as that!Some repairs to Tenerife and back in the riglosing parts. Not very serious but a waste of time going gérer.Ilhave to split tasks to leave as quickly and searchsouth the famous trade winds which should carry us farAntilles.No scheduled stops in Cape Verde but a road in search of windfavorable for the deck faster.We take this very quiet day to rest ....reading, napping and some isolation. It does not hurt. 17 M 40 TU 1L: 30 ° 02'6 N G: 013 ° 11 'WCap: 240 ° Lives: 6.5 knotsWe are less than fifty miles from Lanzarote Island, themost westerly of the Canary Islands. The wind continues to soften,the sea is beautiful. To keep our average speed, startengines for power because the sun is obscured solar panelscould not do their job and a hot shower beforeattack the night shifts. It's weird not to be inbaston, it almost inevitably so we had grown accustomed! It seemsmonotonous, more action, more good gusts, beautifulsurf ... the calm. 19 M 45 TU 1L: 29 ° 55'7 N G: 013 ° 23'2 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 5 knotsIt is dead calm there is more than a dozen knots maximum NW(at least on "Td engine running so hot showercrew! We are the gateway to the Canary Islands. Another day forTenerife win unless the wind has the right idea of a little freshening.Too weird sensation of fullness and sereinité accustomed tobaston, we're speechless! So, great and small dinner aperitif! forcelebrate our relative calm! History also suggests something elsethat job ahead of us to stop! Waterway to locate andrepair, rail genoa to screw ... and so on .. the list islong .... and pleased to carry a new crew of my village.Voilivoilou. Our crew on the spot organizing our stay thatwill normally not too long. After it finally under the reclinersun Inschallah! 23 H 50 UT 1L: 29 ° 42'1 N G: 013 ° 31'5 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 5 knotsThe wind left us .... say that one had in abundance for 5 weeksbut not in the right direction, now we seek!Port and starboard engines alternately every 3 hours, history ofdoes not consume too much diesel and as the sea is beautiful and flat asJane Birkin, it takes a decent speed. 09/01/10 6: 30 pm GMT 1L: 29 ° 30 'N G: 014 ° 07'9 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 4.5 knotsMouais ... it almost bored though some boats did not comecross our path. Plus a bit of air. We walk to the ridicule Yanmar!The barometer has been a dizzying ascent. Tomorrow it smells greatsunny. 11: 30 UT 1L: 29 ° 15'7 N G: 014 ° 33'5 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 4.5 knotsGreat weather, shorts and t shirt rigor, we have just100 Miles to be in Tenerife at this speed is almost 1 dayengine. I will try incantations to Aeolus and Neptune ... seeeven sing if you really have. The anemometer is 2.6 pointsknots of apparent wind, it must be weird for him too, thenit was rather accustomed to remain stalled at 30 knots. Philip, I still have at least 20 hours, more than a bit of air! I send a mail to the list of equipment to find! Goodevening. I beep you on arrival. Your car is ready ... hehehehe! 15 H TU 1L: 29 ° 06'7 N G: 014 ° 51'5 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 4.5 knotsFall dizzying speed. Wind SE, hair cell in the nose andcurrent that we slow down. When it wants to do that really wants it!of the 2 stroke engines to counter and keep our average.I know one who is impatient in awaiting our arrival. 20 H TU 1L: 28 ° 53'3 N G: 015 ° 17'9 WCap: 240 ° Lives: 5 knotsAfter a video session and a good meal concocted by Charlotte, thenight shifts are taking place. We are more than 50miles of Tenerife but the pace of yet as Iallow. We still have another ten hours beforereturn to terra firma. 10/01/106 H 30 UT 1L: 28 ° 34'4 N G: 016 ° 02'9 WCap: 220 ° Lives: 4.5 knotsWe are landing in Tenerife, IV Four passes the northern tipEast of the island. Still 12 miles to the approach of Santa Cruz andMarina. We'll find Philippe and have breakfast withhim. Today a little break before repairing small soresFour IV. We prepare the boat Monday.Am disappointed with our average day, the wind did not keep itsPromises! No big deal, it happens and it's essential. 8 H TU 1L: 28 ° 30'1 N G: 016 ° 09'7 WCap: 252 ° Lives: 5 knotsWe sail along the east coast of Tenerife, very pretty, smallvillages perched on mountainsides. You should know that atTenerife, there is the highest most point of Spain, Teide, agigantic volcanic cone which is 3717 meters high. It isoften snowy but currently we do not see as clouds andfog prevents us to distinguish the top. The air is chargedhumidity. A drizzle welcomed us on arrival. 9 H 50 UT 1L: 28 ° 28 N G: 016 ° 14'6 WFour IV is Ammar Marina del Atlantico. We nowgrab our Esconacais Philippe and send an SMS via iridium.Our call today will be fast but everything is closed, nothat can handle the cleaning and identify different storesis needed. But I am sure that this work has been done by ournew teammate. Good Sunday to all.Crew of Four IV

Languages available for translation:

Afrikaans
Albanian
Arabic
Belarusian
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese
Croatian
CzechDanish
Dutch
English
Estonian
Filipino
Finnish
French
Galician
GermanGreek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Irish
Italian
JapaneseKorean
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Maltese
Norwegian
Persian
PolishPortuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swahili
SwedishThai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
Welsh
Yiddish
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 16:40   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Lucky Larry,

I have uploaded some pictures about improvment work on my L 400. If you want to see join lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group and have a look under HanaFe

HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 05:00   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Hi guys

I am new to this forum but enjoyed reading your musings so much that I just wanted to get involved and have voice. In fact I'm new to forums so you may have to be patient.

Anyway, onto business.... I have ordered a new Lagoon 400 which should be delivered to the UK in April with predicted handover to us in mid May. The basic spec has been fixed and I am currently deciding on after market kit such as generator, electronics, heating etc.

I ordered the Lagoon 400 following 2 years of ownership of a Lagoon 380s which I purchased new after the Southampton Boat Show. (now sold)

The posts on this forum and obviously in this thread have caused me to question my decision many times but I am still happy with my decision. However, I guess it's like if we all went out to dinner, we would be unlikely to order the same meals but none of us would necessarily be wrong, and hopefully we'd all enjoy our own dishes.

I have test sailed the Lagoon 400 once and viewed it 3 times. I am not an expert sailor but felt that the sailing was a bit more sprightly than the Lagoon 380. Probably the big difference for us was the quality of the living spaces and the cockpit. As you may have guessed, the decision was not mine alone. My wife, who incidentally contributes at least equally to our income, was the prime driver in the decision to upgrade. And happy families is a good start for getting the whole family out on the water!

Cheers for now. Need to get to work and to fund the new kit!

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 03:18   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400
Hi guys, Would like to introduce ourselves to your forum! We are a couple of Aussies here living in the UK till July 2010. We have been here working for 2yrs. My husband and I have just purchased a New Lagoon 400, which arrives in March with a hand over in April. We are keeping her down at Brighton Marina till July, then heading off to the Med and slowly sailing back to Aus! Taking our time.
Garold, if you would like to catch up before we leave, Dave and I would love to meet other L400 Owners! We are moving down to the Brighton Marina at the end of April. As we are quite new to the sailing scene, would be eager to hear other experiences with the L400... Cheers Deb and Dave
lazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 09:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazell View Post
Hi guys, Would like to introduce ourselves to your forum! We are a couple of Aussies here living in the UK till July 2010. We have been here working for 2yrs. My husband and I have just purchased a New Lagoon 400, which arrives in March with a hand over in April. We are keeping her down at Brighton Marina till July, then heading off to the Med and slowly sailing back to Aus! Taking our time.
Garold, if you would like to catch up before we leave, Dave and I would love to meet other L400 Owners! We are moving down to the Brighton Marina at the end of April. As we are quite new to the sailing scene, would be eager to hear other experiences with the L400... Cheers Deb and Dave
Hi guys

Yes, I have heard about you guys from Graham. Our boat follows about 4 weeks behind your 400. Not sure what spec you have ordered but ours is coming with the comfort pack, electric toilets and leather saloon seats.

We intend to fit a few extras after handover inclusing generator, invertor, gps, heating etc.

However, I understand that you are looking at some kind of cruising chute that will be furled and stay out all the time. This sounds like something that we may like too, so I look forward to seeing yours.

New to sailing scene? Big boat & journey to do an apprenticeship on.

Are you in Brighton already? We live NW of London in St Albans. How far are you?

Whats your route to Aus?

Cheers

Garold
Old 05-03-2010, 16:14   #23

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hello Lazell, congratulations on your purchase, I am im Melbourne Australia, my Lagoon 400 arrives here about September, I would be interested to know how long you feel it will take to sail here. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50   #24

Boat: Lagoon 400
Hi Peter, our plan at the moment is to be part of the ARC this year after leaving the UK in Jul. We then expect to arrive in Aus some time after Dec that year just depends how much fun we are having.
lazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 15:33   #25

New Lagoon 400

We did the handover for our new Lagoon 400 (#67) cat from the UK dealer last weekend after a 5 month wait.

We sold our Lagoon 380 last year and all I can say is that the new boat is huge. When moving the yacht to a boatyard for some after market kit installation, the boat handling was very similar to the 380 but the visibility from the helm station was limited. We only motored the yacht for the 12 miles to the other boatyard but the 40hp engines seemed to power the yacht well.

Over the next few weeks we have a significant kit instal:

1. Electrics: Paguro generator, x2 extra house batteries, Studer invertor.
2. Heating: Webasto wet heating system + hot air booster system for saloon.
3. Electronics: Garmin 7012, gps (x2), HD radar, AIS trans, new VHF, mast cameras, wifi boster.
4. Miscell: Ambassador rope cutters (x2), radar reflector.

We hoped that the work would take 3 weeks but the time schedule was a bit optimistic and because some parts are slow to order, and contractors have other work, we are probably looking more realistically at 4/5 weeks.

All being well, we should be able to begin to enjoy some weekend sailing in mid June.

As a fourth time yacht owner I am still surprised how much this fitting out period can cost (10 to 15% on top of cost of yacht).

Mmmmmmmmmh. Let's hope the enjoyment lives up to the cost.

Cheers

Garold
Old 20-05-2010, 06:41   #26

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Congrats on the new boat!

Why is the visibility limited? Or is it limited in a different fashion from the 380?

My English to American translator doesn't always work. What is a "wet heating system"?

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:08   #27

Hello Yogao

If you look at any pics of the Lagoon 400 you will see that when helming one cannot see the starboard side of the boat from the helm poistion. It is blocked out by the saloon cabin and roof, and the cockpit canopy. The view of the port side is still a bit restricted towards the bow because the freeboard is very high and you are unable to see the pontoon when you are close.

Marine heating systems are usually either blown air systems run off a diesel boiler, or a diesel fired boiler heating piped water with radiators and fans. I call the latter a 'wet system' (ie water runs round the pipes like the heating in British houses). As a user, the main difference is that the hot air coming out of the blown air system is about 15 to 20 degrees hotter. The water system has the advantage of less noise if radiators are used, and you can heat up your hot water for showers etc.

The electrical fit out is complete, and the heating guy is starting today. Met him this morning and he thinks that it is 4 to 5 days to complete. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Garold
Old 20-05-2010, 08:15   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Congratulations!

A 2 week old Lagoon 40 parked next to us in the anchorage last night and when we came home all I could see was its size and thought it was a Antares 44.
Went over and said hi today and noted the upper port helm station.

Will your mast cameras let you see the blind spots? Could you install bow cameras?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:29   #29

Hi Mark

When we took delivery 2 weeks ago, I said to my wife that the boat had grown since we ordered it. Bit frightening really but once we had moved the boat a few times we were fine.

The cameras are a bit of an unknown. I was taking the advice off a friend of mine who had a 50 foot monohull and is really pleased with the extra info he gets from his camera which is located under his radar. I have ordered the parts and they should go in, in the next couple of weeks so I will let you know. It's not just the bow. I cannot really see any of the starboard deck or hull side when in the helm position.

I guess I could predict the position of the hulls when moving round in a tight spot after a period of familiarity, but since we are spending so much money at the moment it was now or probably never.

I will report back. If I sound miserable, you'll know it was a waste fo money!

Cheers

Garold
Old 20-05-2010, 08:30   #30

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Garold,

Thanks for the explanations.

We have a "wet" system that is called hydronic - having 3 syllables and ending in the scientific sounding suffix "-ic" makes it sound high-tech.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400