Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2011, 06:19   #541

Re: Lagoon 400

Deal is closed and I'm the new owner of a 2010 Lagoon 400, Hull #16. A few more questions:

1. I'm about to buy a dinghy. I plan to get a 3.4M (which seems to be the max size recommendation) and a friend of mine whose in the inflatable business has recommended I buy a Walker Bay w/ a 20HP Honda. He told me the boats performance is greatly improved by through bolting the engine so that it rides up higher. Has anyone tried this or have experience with this boat? Also, what is the implication of having the engine on the dinghy full time vs. taking it off and mounting it on the engine mount on the rail? I'm new to cats and davits but the general wisdom seems to be hang as little wait from the davits as possible... wondering IF I do decide to leave the engine permanently on what the right way to secure everything is.

2. Has anyone mounted a canister life raft on the life raft bracket? If so, how did you secure it so that it is protected from sliding off, but easy to release in an emergency. Also, any problems with water intrusion?

3. Planning on upgrading the sail inventory with an asymmetric spinnaker and a code zero type sail. I'm thinking of optimizing the zero for twenty degrees or so from a beam reach and the A-sail for broad reach. Anyone try this combination or have advice?

Thanks.
Noah

Old 17-12-2011, 10:27   #542

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

Hi Noah,
1. I have sailed a long way with the engine permanently attached to the RIB. However, my dinghy is smaller - only 3.1m and the outboard is only 6HP. At this combination we had no problems in any kind of weather.
2. My liferaft is lives happily in the special hull indent at the stern, secured with two cloth straps (and the painter is tied to one of the davits). I have secured one stainless steel knife to the straps of the raft with a piece of string and have another knife by the helm for emergency use.
3. I have a sail that what supplied as a gennaker, but in reality is code zero. Anyway, it is highly useful for broad reaching/downwind sailing as the small jib on the boat is installed very close to the center of the boat. I would start with a gennaker and check if you really need the intermediate code zero as well.

Have fun!

Old 18-12-2011, 20:44   #543

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Hi Noah
1. Dinghy plus engine - It is very important that you keep the dinghy from moving around. Most people use flat straps with ratchets to make sure nothing moves.

2 Sails- for my new L450 I am getting the Lagoon 104 sqm gennaker and a 169 sqm Parasailor. My thinking is:
The genoa is only 49 sqm, so in light air close to the wind but not quite beating, the gennaker will be pulling enough so I do not have to put on the engine.
From about 50 to 100 apparent the gennaker should be better than the genoa, unless it is blowing. Below 100 apparent the gennaker will only be used when the wind is too strong for the Parasailor.
Otherwise, from about 100 to dead downwind the Parasailor will be used.

If you get a gennaker than get a symmetrical on an asymmetric one.

BTW - I was thinking long and hard if it makes sense to get the Parasailor. I have not tested it yet so I cannot say if it was the right decision. So just replace symmetrical spinnaker wherever I use Parasailor.
Rolf
Old 23-12-2011, 14:37   #544

Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. I decided on an AB 10 aluminum. Now got to make up my mind on the sails.

The boat just arrived in Fort Lauderdale after a 6 day trip from Annapolis and going to do some tweaking before I take it far.

I'm planning on upgrading the upholstery a bit. I was a bit disappointed with the factory stuff (full disclosure: I am in the boat canvas and upholstery business so I've become a bit of a snob). Planning on switching the closed cell foam to Dri Fast which is much more comfortable in my opinion. I have some ideas to improve the helm seat which to me feels like a park bench at the moment.

Going to make up some Sunbrella covers for the beds to protect them when I'm not sleeping on them and design some colorful throw pillows to brighten things up - I like the ones in the Lagoon marketing.

Any other suggestions for must have upgrades?

Also... the boat has some electronics issues I need to sort out. If anyone has experience or ideas with these, would appreciate feedback. And, if you know a marine electrician in South Florida with experience on Lagoons please advise.

Electrical Issues
1. 50A circuit breaker inside port engine compartment trips frequently. Seems to be tied to A/C - read the manual and I know I'm supposed to start only one at a time so going to experiment with this more.
2. VHF and Plotter at helm station seem to be wired in a way that bypasses panel. They come on as soon as battery switches are turned on. They're not wired directly to the battery switch so need to trace back where the wire is coming from.
Old 24-12-2011, 07:52   #545

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

61000 times, not bad.
Merry C-mas all.
Old 26-02-2012, 17:41   #546

Boat: Lagoon 400

Any other suggestions for must have upgrades?

Also... the boat has some electronics issues I need to sort out. If anyone has experience or ideas with these, would appreciate feedback. And, if you know a marine electrician in South Florida with experience on Lagoons please advise.

Electrical Issues
1. 50A circuit breaker inside port engine compartment trips frequently. Seems to be tied to A/C - read the manual and I know I'm supposed to start only one at a time so going to experiment with this more.
2. VHF and Plotter at helm station seem to be wired in a way that bypasses panel. They come on as soon as battery switches are turned on. They're not wired directly to the battery switch so need to trace back where the wire is coming from.[/QUOTE]

Hello Noahchanin, re electronics, the power to my plotters and instruments turn on via the nav- instruments switch on the main panel that’s how mine worked from new, I did have a separate eight breaker panel fitted at the chart table so the plotter’s, associated instruments, radar, AIS, etc. can be turned on or off individually at one station, I have found this convenient. I have not so far had problems with circuit breakers as you have described, I have 130 hours on my engines so far in seventeen months of ownership.
I just finished another small improvement (for me that is) the engine bay has a very generous amount of room in it, it is a long way to the floor so one has to lift one’s body up by your arms, a foot step to give one a lift up would be I thought invaluable and would alleviate the need to stand on the engine, so I have had fitted two small foot steps about halfway down both engine bay walls just big enough for me to stand one foot on, just a small thing but it has made life easy when entering or exiting the engine bay.
The other thing I have had fitted is in the starboard side of the chain locker I don’t know if any one has slithered down into this large area in front of the second water tank but it is very hard on the ankles as it finishes in a sharp edge, so I have had fitted a narrow flat floor running from the starboard wall to the beginning of the chain locker, the floor makes it comfortable to stand on or sit on should any work be required in that area, the floor is also designed to take seven 20 litre fuel cans, should extra fuel or water be required or perhaps a couple of folding bikes.
Regards Peter
Old 22-04-2012, 17:11   #547

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Peter

Good idea about the step in the engine bay.

I think that I will look into this next time we have work done on our boat.

Cheers

Garold
Old 23-04-2012, 06:38   #548

Re: step in engine bay, and floor in front locker

Hello Garold, re the step, made out of marine ply and fibrelased in, have attached a couple of photos one prior to paint and one after painting, a simple mod but what a diffence a step makes, had them fitted to both sides of the engine bays. Also a couple of photo's of the floor I had fitted to the front right hand side of the front locker, it is designed to take seven 20ltr cans, and will easly unscrew from the supporting frame, it also makes it comfortable to stand on, or sit on should one need to work in that area. I have just brought two foldup electric bicycles, they pack into a bag and will fit in the locker tied down on my new floor, however I then would not be able to fit in 7 20ltr cans. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor + side support.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	40276   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 2.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	40277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Step prior to finish 2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	40278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step finished 2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	40279  

Old 23-04-2012, 18:20   #549
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters
Thumbs up Re: Lagoon 400

She's looking good Peter! Hope you're enjoying her in good health...and often!!
Old 30-04-2012, 06:10   #550

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Tx for the detail on your step, Peter.

Cheers

Garold
Old 11-05-2012, 14:58   #551

Here is the blogg to Hull # 220 sailing north to Norway,

http://geminilagoon400.blogspot.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 17:31   #552

Hello Careka, thanks for the link, great photo's so different to our country, reminds me of some very pleasent days cruising on the canal's of England. Regards Peter
Old 18-05-2012, 16:24   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Here is the blogg to Hull # 220 sailing north to Norway,

Gemini - Lagoon 400
Then they where back home in Norway.
and it all went well.
Old 25-08-2012, 20:33   #554

Hi D & D

Heading Yamba (on way down coast to Melbourne) way and just wondering where is best chance to have a look at a Lagoon 400 or similar.. ?

Glenn
Old 25-08-2012, 21:42   #555
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Cruiser View Post
Hi D & D

Heading Yamba (on way down coast to Melbourne) way and just wondering where is best chance to have a look at a Lagoon 400 or similar.. ?

Glenn
Hi Glen...and welcome to the Forum!

We're not clear on what eaxctly you're after, but in any event we're on our Winter 2012 Exhibition Cruise at the moment and thus not in Yamba anyway. Our current Exhibition is at Tin Can Bay and CatNirvana will be here for two more days. Then we'll be on the move again until our next Exhibition at Coffs Harbour for the long weekend at the end of Sep.

As for Lagoon 400's there are certainly a few around. We just left one (Mental Block, out of Brisbane) at Lady Musgrave Island about a week back and we believe they were heading home about now. There are also some OZ L400's on this Forum, e.g. peterp who're based around Melbourne and delightful people.

Cheers,
D&D

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: