Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 13:33   #451

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Lagoon 400

I think the owner's situation has changed, I don't think it's anything else. Nice set up tho!
Old 08-05-2011, 23:11   #452

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Emergency switch off for electrical winch

Hi Forum,

on my Lagoon 400 #11 we several times had the problem that the electrical winches did not stop turning when the foot switch was released. It only stopped turnig after we switched off the breaker under the bed in the port cabin.

The problem seemed to be some moisture in the foot switches and we resealed it.
Although the problem seems to be fixed for the time being, we do not trust it
anymore and I am thinking about installing an emergency switch off next to the
electrical winch, to overcome this potential saftey hazard.

As I am not on the boat in the moment I would like to ask the group if somebody
knows if there is just a relay going to the foot switch and I could install
a simple waterproof low AMP on/off switch or if the full 100 AMP are going
through the foot switch to the winch, which means I need to install an expensive
waterproof breaker.

Would be nice to hear your experience on this.

HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13   #453

Just checking...!

We have one electric winch and the foot pedals def go via a relay switch which I believe are up near the winch motor.

I personally would be reluctant to add an extra breaker to the system as it's only one more thing that can go wrong.

As far as the winch goes it is only dangerous if you are using the winch tailed, you an always just avoid using the tailer to stay on the safe side, as long as there is no tension on the rope it will just slip if the winch gets stuck on.

Hope it helps

Katsumi
Old 09-05-2011, 03:22   #454

Has anyone any helpful comments or ideas regarding extending an awning off the back for extra shade and rain protection, also a sun tent over the top?

Ps: been living aboard now since early April with two little monsters and we love our Lagoon.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53   #455

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Has anyone any helpful comments or ideas regarding extending an awning off the back for extra shade and rain protection, also a sun tent over the top?

Ps: been living aboard now since early April with two little monsters and we love our Lagoon.
We are currently having side canopies made for the rear outside seating area, and also a bimini over the helm seat with screens to form an enclosure.

It has proved to be a bit of an ordeal since these boats are not really designed with weather protection at the helm in mind.

I will endeavour to post pics once it is complete.

We weren't keen on the ones that you can get supplied from Lagoon and so have decided to have our own custom made.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58   #456

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Re: Emergency switch off for electrical winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafe View Post
Hi Forum,

on my Lagoon 400 #11 we several times had the problem that the electrical winches did not stop turning when the foot switch was released. It only stopped turnig after we switched off the breaker under the bed in the port cabin.

The problem seemed to be some moisture in the foot switches and we resealed it.
Although the problem seems to be fixed for the time being, we do not trust it
anymore and I am thinking about installing an emergency switch off next to the
electrical winch, to overcome this potential saftey hazard.

As I am not on the boat in the moment I would like to ask the group if somebody
knows if there is just a relay going to the foot switch and I could install
a simple waterproof low AMP on/off switch or if the full 100 AMP are going
through the foot switch to the winch, which means I need to install an expensive
waterproof breaker.

Would be nice to hear your experience on this.

HanaFe
Would it not just be cheaper to have new foot switches fitted which do not let in water?

I understand your concern and I entirely concur that you cannot live with the possibility of an electric winch refusing to stop. However, unless they have a design fault, they are supposed to be outside switches and hence weatherproof.

Just my thoughts.

We have had no such problems with our boat and we have three electric winches and no cover (at the current time) over those switches to keep out any rain or weather.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:11   #457

Boat: FP Elba 45

Hello Hanafe and all, I haven’t had any problems with my winches but not a lot of use so far. I have just returned from a week’s holiday in Port Douglas in northern Queensland, we paid for a trip out to the reef for some snorkelling, the operator was using a near new Lagoon 620 which I was keen to have a look at, the skipper was very friendly even gave me a go at the wheel I asked him have there been any major problems he advised the main problem was one of the electric winches all of a sudden started by itself the sheet was tailed at the time and did a fair amount of damage, touching on Katsumi’s post the skipper stated they now never leave the sheets tailed. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:33   #458

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha

Hello Hanafe

I have had the same problem (#45) the footswitch for the main halyard would not disengage. This happened once and fortunately the it was off the self tailer. I tried to replicate this pressing the switch repeadely over a number of days without it happending again. Then at the worst possible time it happened again while I was raising the main halyard. Again fortunately it was not on the self tailer. I had the switch replaced under warranty. I note that the switch that came with the boat was a sealed unit and the replacement is not. The unit in any event is siliconed in place. This does not make me feel good at all.

This is clearley a design issue with the harken foot switches and it is dangerous.

Our boat has a full enclosure so the area is dry. I do not believe that this is a moisture problem rather it is a design problem. I live Peters suggestion to never leave a line on self tail just incase the winch runs wild.

I saw on the Yahoo site discussion about changing the reefing system. Are you able to post a picture here. I have found the Yahoo site to be difficult to use as it does not create folders for topics.

Best Regards
Bman
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:17   #459

Thanks to all for this fantastic feed back.

First of all we will not tail the sheets at all anymore when using the electric winshes.
Still I want to find a solution for an emergency switch off.
If just in a stupid moment the wind blows the long hair of my wife in the winch, desaster could struck.
I also think the Harken foot switch has a problem.

Sundshade
We only have a sunshade on top, which we put from the boom to the handrails. It is an incredible expensive but good mash material from Belgium. It lets the air go through and fully protects against the heat and sun.
We also use it at the cockpit when the sun is low from the stern. We than just tie it down from the traveler to the reeling. Works fine, quiek and easy, but of course no bad weather protection.

Picture for alterated reefing system I will post in a couple of days when I am back home.

Cheers HanaFe
Old 09-05-2011, 22:20   #460

Bman I could not agree more the Yahoo site is a pain, I gave up on it a long time ago, this is the best by far in my view.
Regards Peter
Old 09-05-2011, 23:15   #461

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran

That is quite scary if it seems to be happening regularly. I have not had any sticking issues with my switches, I will check what make they are. What ones are fitted to the lagoon?
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:25   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
That is quite scary if it seems to be happening regularly. I have not had any sticking issues with my switches, I will check what make they are. What ones are fitted to the lagoon?
Harken is fitted
Old 21-05-2011, 18:50   #463

Re: Lagoon 400 winches

One would hope that the manufacturer has made whatever modidfications are required to solve this problem, actually there is nothing worse than a intermittant problem. Regards Peter
Old 21-05-2011, 22:49   #464

Slings

Hi,

I installed 4 slings to store the halyards and sheet tidy and got rid of this useless bag next to the steering wheel.

I guess some later model numbers have a solution already with a modified bag.

For me these slings are the perfect solution.
See picture.

Regards
HanaFe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050819.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	27665  
Old 22-05-2011, 05:23   #465

Re: Lagoon 400 slings

Looks neat Hanafe, I have installed two extra rope bags, one on the port safety wires that hold the jib furling line, and another attached to the starboard side of the steering station. I have the jib sheets fold neatly between the bimini on the starboard side and the hand rail, I will take some photo's next time I'm on the 400, this arangment keeps everything tidy for me. Regards Peter

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400