Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 12:03   #361
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
PS lazell,

All that said, many (including here) would say to leave plenty of room around you on anchor so that you can use plenty of chain...and don't worry about the swinging!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 12:19   #362

Garold,
Interesting info on the VAT. Will start doing some more serious research. Certainly looks like an option for us.
I take your points on the UK, was only thinking of the bottom corner. Would also have to be at the right time of the year. After living in Cairns for 28 years anything under 20c is considered on the cool side. Bet that's a restriction for spending time in the UK eh.
Thanks
Deane
deane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 17:40   #363
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi peterp, When we had our FP Orana 44 commissioned here in Australia the gas stove had to be re jetted this was because the bottle pressures here in Aus. are different to Europe. Ring the Ausi agent for your stove make and they should be able to set you straight.

Gordon
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 22:40   #364

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re gas top problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi peterp, When we had our FP Orana 44 commissioned here in Australia the gas stove had to be re jetted this was because the bottle pressures here in Aus. are different to Europe. Ring the Ausi agent for your stove make and they should be able to set you straight.

Gordon
Thanks Gordon, that does seem logical, only thing that shoots that down is whilst I have only used it a few times, those few times it worked perfectly, there is always something to upset the billy cart!!!!! Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 01:10   #365

Lagoon 400 24,000 plus views

Just enjoying reading some of the posts in the multihull section, coulden't but help notice that our Lagoon 400 thread has had over 24,000 views, It occured to me that that seems quite a lot. Regards Peter
Old 16-11-2010, 10:19   #366

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Just enjoying reading some of the posts in the multihull section, coulden't but help notice that our Lagoon 400 thread has had over 24,000 views, It occured to me that that seems quite a lot. Regards Peter

Yep, even though I will never be able to get one (if I settled on that) I like to know about "stuff".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 01:25   #367

Re gas top problem

Hello, Gordon et all, just had the gas top issue problem resolved, apparently the large heavy ring had moved somewhat and partially blocked the gas, may have happened on last sail as was rough with a fair bit of crashing through the waves, should have checked it more carefully myself, the other smaller ring that was a problem came good when the gas man tried it wouldent you know. Regards Peter
Old 28-11-2010, 12:22   #368

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
It's about -1 degrees centigrade at lunchtime in south England this weekend. So, the visit to my Lagoon 400 was for duty rather than pleasure.

I turned on both heating systems and then ran up the engines. By the time that I had started the engine and checked all the deck fittings and lines, the inside was toasting.

So, for anyone who is thinking about heating a cat............

Webasto blower in the front locker with outlets throughout the boat.....
And a Webasto hydronic system originating in the engine compartment with fan matrix units in each cabin. And a huge radiator in the master cabin. It just works guys. Even in -1 degrees!

In our Lagoon 380 we had just a small Eberspacher hydronic system, and in spite of the great efforts of the main dealer who tried really hard to correct a poorly specced system, it never had enough oomph to heat the boat in really cold weather.

So from freezing cold England..........Cheers guys.

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 14:00   #369

Boat: Hunter 50 CC
Garold,

Glad to hear the heater is working well. But if we are ever in need of one it can only mean that we've lingered too long in the wrong place.

We just got back from a week on our L 400. It just keeps getting harder to leave it.

Thanks to the comments here the smelly heads were no longer smelly, the fridge did not spill any condensation into the salon floor, and the new step at the helm made a HUGE difference.

We're still looking for options to keep it from swinging so much when on the hook or a mooring but at least it's not rocking.

Has anyone else noticed that if the wind hits the mast just right it produces a throbbing sound similar to an idling diesel?

Cheers,
Lucky
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 14:10   #370

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Hi Lucky,
we do not have any unusal sound when the wind is hitting the mast.

rgds HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 14:43   #371

Boat: Maine Cat 41
RE: Hydronic Heating...

...Yes! We lived for on winter in Baltimore, Maryland and we were pretty happy to have a hydronic heating system, especially when the boat was completely snow-covered and 3 meter icicles were hanging from the spreaders - brrrr!

My father-in law then shared two basic navigation rules with us. The sweater rule and the butter rule.

The sweater rule was the simplest. If you feel the need to put on a sweater, you have made a serious error in navigation!

The butter rule is barely more complicated. In the Northern Hemisphere, sail South if the butter freezes, sail North if the butter melts. Reverse for the Southern Hemisphere.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 01:28   #372

Leaky bulkheads anyone?

Just for info. I picked this up from another group.

I hope that the OP doesn't mind me posting it here but I thought that it had relevance to all us Lagoon 400 owners.

..............In February this year (2010) my Lagoon 500 sunk, and catastrophic damage ensued, because Lagoon had failed to properly seal the supposedly watertight bulkheads between the port engine room and the main port pontoon at the factory.
There is a 100mm hole through the port engine room bulkhead through which the cables and hot water pipes pass, and on my boat these holes were not properly sealed on either the port or the starboard side.
I was not on board at the time, however the skipper put the boat into full reverse upon approaching some fishing nets and with the dinghy under tow, got the dinghy painter around the port prop, and tore the engine from its mount. Water flooded into the engine room and then into the main port pontoon at a rate that exceeded the capacity of the bilge pumps to pump it out, causing the port pontoon to sink first, followed by the starboard pontoon.
Lagoon does not deny the fact that the bulkheads were not watertight when the boat left their factory in April 2009, but at present they are claiming that the Lagoon 500 is not required to have watertight bulkheads pursuant to its CE certification.
In order to avoid a similar fate to what I have suffered, all Lagoon owners should have these bulkheads checked, and if necessary repaired.

I read it and it made me think that I should check my through bulkhead holes and make decisions if they look unsealed. I have debated about through bulkhead gaps because without them, I am not sure how any water will drain to bilges and get pumped out. And sitting water anywhere in any of the bilges would cause damage over time.

Not sure what others think but the above post certainly causes one to think. If anyone is near their boat this week and cares to check their engine room bulkheads it would be interesting to know if us L400 owners would suffer the same fate if we had the same misfortune.

Or is it just pertinent to Lagoon 500 owners?

Cheers

Garold
Old 30-11-2010, 01:39   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Garold,

Glad to hear the heater is working well. But if we are ever in need of one it can only mean that we've lingered too long in the wrong place.

We just got back from a week on our L 400. It just keeps getting harder to leave it.

Thanks to the comments here the smelly heads were no longer smelly, the fridge did not spill any condensation into the salon floor, and the new step at the helm made a HUGE difference.

We're still looking for options to keep it from swinging so much when on the hook or a mooring but at least it's not rocking.

Has anyone else noticed that if the wind hits the mast just right it produces a throbbing sound similar to an idling diesel?

Cheers,
Lucky
Not sure if we have the same noise as you Lucky but we do have a noise that comes from the rigging and transmits itself down the mast and sounds a bit like a thrumming noise (could be a diesel engine but a very smooth modern one!). We usually hear it mid to late evening just as we have settled down for the evening.

Anyway, I have sometimes lessened it by hopping out on deck, often in my very fetching Spiderman pyjammas, and just loosening the mainsheet. This just seems to de-tension the rig and the noise lessens, but not entirely disappears.

Or, if my noise is nothing to do with your's, then please ignore me and forget about my pyjammas! Though the sight of a 16 stone fella in Spiderman pyjammas does seem to frighten the seagulls away.

Cheers

Garold
Old 30-11-2010, 01:43   #374

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Garold

That is a good point, when I was looking for a cat the watertight integrity of the engine compartment was important for me. I was amazed how many boats had engines in separate water tight compartments and then had holes drilled through the watertight bulheads at the bottom to feed pipes through. On my boat the pipes go through right at the top which is very far above the waterline, therefore making it a "proper" watertight bulkhead. I really feel for the owner of the 500. I am not sure that even if those holes were sealed where the pipes went through that I would be happy as the seals can degrade over time and not withstand a flooding. Other views?
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 05:20   #375

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I would have to essentially agree with Paul Rack here. I also think the sinking brings up a number of operational issues.

What strikes me first is never tow the dinghy! We always lift ours for any trip beyond a quick, short move to change our anchoring spot. In those cases, we always make sure the painter is too short to go under the stern.

Another step would be to install line cutters on each prop.

w/r/t sealing the engine compartment and then preventing water from passing through the limber hole, obviously you would have to fit a bilge pump there. I have also thought about installing a "T" and a ball valve on the raw water intake hose that would allow me to use the engine as an emergency bilge pump (especially if the engine compartment was sealed and then compromised by a significant leak).

Other compartments that you decide to make "watertight" would then have to be sealed in all directions. For example on our boat, we have a "watertight" chamber forward that makes the base of the V-berth. Access is via a clear watertight deck plate. When we first got the boat, this area had to have water removed several times because of the humidity in the air and the condensation that followed large temperature extremes.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400