Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 15:25   #301

Boat: FP Elba 45
Fuel, engine failure Lagoon 400

Thanks Hanafe for a very detailed report, very helpfull indeed, saves me firing up my chain saw to find all the fuel lines. Incidentally for the benefit of us all when you experienced a engine failure did the engine just stop and from what cause, dirty fuel, pump failure, would you mind going into more detail, you said the engine stopped sucking fuel, so how did you fix it, and where, at sea, in the marina, in any event well done good job. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:53   #302

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Hi Peter,
the engine suddenly stopped working in the middle of nowwhere, means around 250 miles from any shoreline.
It tooks us 24 hours to find the problem. In the meantime we could go on by the other engine. That is the beauty of catamarans.
We started bleeding the engine as we thought it is just air in the system. This did not help at. We suspected air in the diesel filter as we just upgraded the filter before we left to the big trip and thought maybe something went wrong. So we dismantled the whole diesel filter, and finaly disabled the filter just for checking if we can get he enigne going. Nothing. So the filter was ok. and not the problem. Step by step we worked our way down to the tanks and finaly found the problem.
There are 2 tubes going into the tank. sorry I do not know the the correct name for this. One tube is for the generator and the other one is for the engine. The one for the engine was loose and wackling. So we suspected that there is the problem and maybe air is coming in. We tryed to fix it with Silikon etc. and glued it properly in. It did not work as well. We finaly cut the fuel line and used a piece of a little water pipe and connected the pipe of the generator to the pipe of the engine. We bleeded the engine and here we go, it worked. At the end, after finding the problem it was easy, we just switched over the fuel lines.
After being back in HKG the dealer replaced this tube with a new one and everything is fine since than.
Thanks to my friend on the boat. He solved the problem as I would have given up much earlier already. I am not a tchnician at all. Believe my fuel level in the tanks was not balanced anymore!
However, I can not spare to comment that I am always wondering with what kind of bad quality this industry is getting away. We are talking here about a new boat, with a very low tech system. Face it, it is just an old diesel engine with a couple of rubber hoses to a plastik tank and even this they can not get going reliable.
As a reminder, it broke in a dead flat sea.

rgds
HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:11   #303

Thanks Hanafe for that explanation, your experience will be of help when planning a long trip, I say again well done. Regards Peter
Old 14-10-2010, 15:06   #304

Dear Peter,
see pictures of fuel lines below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040420.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	20126   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040421.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	20127  

Name:	P1040422.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	20128  
Old 14-10-2010, 15:41   #305

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Is it just me, or does this look overly complicated?

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 16:10   #306

and on my own picture it looks like there is either a connection to the other tank or these are the return pipes you guys were talking about, but than, why are there two of them.
I am also interested to see the diagramm. Hope Peter you get it.
HanaFe
Old 14-10-2010, 16:17   #307

Tank

Thanks Hanafe, I have attaches a picture of my tank, only one I had on file will take a better one when I am on the 400 this weekend, at first glance it looks a bit different..... Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	20134  
Old 14-10-2010, 17:26   #308

Thanks Peter,
it looks the same to me, just yours seems a picture of starport side and mine port side.
The big tube is the diesel filling, the medium tube I guess is the air/fuel overflow. Than we have four small hoses. One is to the generator and one to the engine. Now I would like to know what the other two are for. In your case the tope of the tube has differen colours. Two are green and two are black. Mine are all the same in black colour.
HanaFe
Old 14-10-2010, 17:40   #309

Lagoon 400 Handle / step / crane /bbq/ mods

Hello everyone that may be interested, here are pictures of the modifications I had fitted when my Lagono 400 was being commissioned, hope the pictures come out OK, the handles on the transoms clamp from the existing rail down to the bottom just above the fuel filler matched both sides. The coach house step is bolted on the bottom through the chain locker with just enough clearance to open the front windows and give your foot a secure can’t slip position, nice and simple and strong and fixed at the top of the step. The Geriatric handle is fixed to the mast by a tapping and screws, I made it quite long simply because when you put your foot on the step, you then step up higher, the long handle is then in a comfortable position for you to grab it whilst your body is rising, this high handle also works very well when you are stepping down, and also gives you something to hang on too whilst you are swinging around the front of the mast from one side of the coach roof to the other, when for example you are tucking in the main sail and zipping up the sail bag. The rear rail modifications I felt was necessary to accommodate the BBQ, there is simply not enough room to hang the outboard motor mount and the motor with the BBQ and I also have the solar panels, the solution was simply a extension to the existing rail on the starboard side. The crane was required because I found it difficult to lift a 48 kilo outboard, the way we solved this was to have a heavy post on a swivel base fixed to my new frame extension (I hope this all makes sense) I have to say this bit was a fairly expensive exercise as it was all very much experimental it took several prototypes to get things right from a practical working and aesthetic point of view, we proved the crane size and fit does work fine, and we did lift the engine in place, what is not satisfactory is the cradle connection between the outboard and the crane, that is still a works in progress but that is not a big challenge. In summary I was concerned the jib may catch on the geriatric handle on the front of the mast when tacking however that has proved not to be the case. The modifications have worked brilliantly even though I may say so myself, with respect to the handles on the transom and the step up to the coach house, they should be fitted by Lagoon I think that is a major over sight on their behalf, but truly when jumping aboard or stepping up to the coach roof with my mod’s it is a lot safer and a pleasure, not a accident waiting to happen. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crane stowed.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	20136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crane swivel arm .jpg
Views:	291
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	20137  

Name:	Handle1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	20138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail crane 1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	20139  

Name:	Step handle 3.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	20140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	20141  

Old 14-10-2010, 17:48   #310
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Looks good Peter! We assume the 'geriatric' handle is simply an indicative potential reference for the vessel's future owners...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:51   #311

Hanefe, at this point in my short ownership time I havent a clue either, but I will find out, be back in touch on this issue unless you or some one else can enlighten us in the meantime. Regards Peter
Old 14-10-2010, 17:59   #312

Hello D&D of course. Regards Peter
Old 14-10-2010, 20:07   #313

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafe View Post
Thanks Peter,
it looks the same to me, just yours seems a picture of starport side and mine port side.
The big tube is the diesel filling, the medium tube I guess is the air/fuel overflow. Than we have four small hoses. One is to the generator and one to the engine. Now I would like to know what the other two are for. In your case the tope of the tube has differen colours. Two are green and two are black. Mine are all the same in black colour.
HanaFe
Most likely they are the fuel return lines. One for the generator, one for the engine.

Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 23:49   #314

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Peter

Nice mods, they look very cleverly thought out. When the step was fitted did they remove the core in that section and fill it so if there is a leak no water can get into the core. Also check on the mast how the stainless steel handle was attached as you have different metals which can react and give you corrossion if not done properly. How would you normally get to the base of the mast without the step?

Cheers
Paul
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 00:12   #315

Hi Peter,
indeed very nice alteration and I am sure it was not cheap as well. Paul has a good point with the different kind of metals and the corrossion problem.
Paul, we just step on the windlass to go on the coach roof. As hand support we use the halyard. Never had a problem.
Maybe Lagoon is not installing a step as the write around 1000 times in their manual and actually on the boat, do not go on the roof while sailing, what is practicaly impossible.
HanaFe

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400