Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2008, 15:06   #1

Lagoon 400

Is there anyone who has seen price lists and know delivery times for new Lagoon 400?

Whatīs good and bad with this new model?

Old 28-08-2008, 02:42   #2

My concerns are that it is that the hulls (at waterline) are very wide (large wetted surface) it is very heavy and a lot of windage and looking at your earlier comments/requests it is not going to satisfy you in the performance leagues.
Ideal possibly as a charter boat and probably very comfortable but I reckon slow.

Freetime, your quest I think is a bit like mine, I want a decent performance, but also a nice layout, but to date their is not a cat out there that fullfills even 85% of my requirements, so I might even think about designing my own with some help of course.
Good luck with your search
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 06:35   #3

Not sure now after doing some more research, may go for something not so fast but comfortable Your word... I think i am in that direction myself.

But i like this one, bigger than 380 and cheaper than 420. And a very modern interior with alote of space. Probably with a hybrid, but i would like to test it first.
Old 28-08-2008, 06:48   #4

Hi Joakim

I don't think the first Lagoon 400 will be ready until spring 2009, it will be interesting to see the price and how she performs.
Like you have have considered some of the kit boats ie Fusion 40, Spirited 380, Pacific 40 etc etc, using a good boatyard, but to build in the UK or Europe the Fusion I reckon would cost about 350,000 Euros plus VAT and the others not much less to get a good finish, which is near the price of a second hand Privilege 435 which are more suited to our climate.
It is a difficult decision!!!!
I am going to Le Grand Pavois in La Rochelle, France in September as they have one of the best Multihull turn outs and there is going to be a Fusion 40 there so it will be interesting to see what it is really like.

Ian
Old 28-08-2008, 07:27   #5

Ireaney:
(I changed my avatar after i saw your dogs, itīs my cat)

Itīs not easy to find the right catamaran. So many different models and should i buy new or used, build a kit or....

I donīt think the idea to build a Fusion 40 in europe will be cost effective, maybe poland or estonia, or lattvia. Or by yourself at a cheap place. I think materialcosts will be a big problem in this part of europe. Spirited 380 and Pacific cat 40 is nice cats but will probably get more expencive than a used Privilege 435 as you said. The Oram 44C is probably the cheapest to build.
I have changed my list on interesting catamarans 20 times right now. We would like to have the catamaran as a extra house the short swedish summertime. And sail to warmer wintertime...

I had plans for La Rochelle....but right now we have to much to do at work...But i will try.

The pic is from my house jan 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	4866  
Old 28-08-2008, 07:32   #6
cruiser

The helm looks very uncomfortable/cold/hot/sunny/wet. Does this boat have an interior helm as well?

Also, in looking at the galley on the 380, if they share the same interior layout, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to prepare food! Where is the counter space?? (on the 380)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 07:41   #7

Joachim
I think you should stop looking for a cat now as you appear to have found one and he looks very young.
I would put my cat on as well but he refuses to wear his life jacket.
I too keep changing my mind, I may decide to buy something about 4/5 years old at a good price, about 40 feet in length and get decent sails, folding/feathering props and play around for a couple of years while I slowly design my own, using a combination of different manufacturers layouts, plans and shapes etc to try and achieve (as near as possible) my perfect catamaran.
Then approach a good designer and have it built in SA following recommendations of other self designer/builders, this would ensure a good boat at a sensible price, I hope.
You have have snow in your winter, which I never get being so far south in the UK, and I also expect you get sun in the summer, this year our summer has been the worst ever, rain, rain, rain.
Old 28-08-2008, 08:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
The helm looks very uncomfortable/cold/hot/sunny/wet. Does this boat have an interior helm as well?

Also, in looking at the galley on the 380, if they share the same interior layout, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to prepare food! Where is the counter space?? (on the 380)
In this size, F-P 36 Mahe have a much better galley/kitchen.

Interior helm, no i donīt think so...
Old 28-08-2008, 08:35   #9

The avatar cat(she) is now 2 year and to big, and itīs not muscles....

I think i will go for a more comfortable and slower catamaran like the lagoon, privilege or f-p. The Privilege with masterbedroom in the front is my favorite right now, and my girlfriend have lagoons and f-pīs.
Time will tell who are the boss at my home Lagoon and F-P here we come....

Fusion, spirited, oram and pacific cats. Itīs not a good idea to build myself, i have to little experience of this kind of building. And i am probably divorced before itīs finished.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:19   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post

... and my girlfriend have lagoons and f-pīs.

...And i am probably divorced before itīs finished.
I think you will be divorced when your wife finds out about your girlfriend.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 11:24   #11

Quote:
The avatar cat(she) is now 2 year and to big, and itīs not muscles....

I think i will go for a more comfortable and slower catamaran like the lagoon, privilege or f-p. The Privilege with masterbedroom in the front is my favorite right now, and my girlfriend have lagoons and f-pīs.
Time will tell who are the boss at my home Lagoon and F-P here we come....

Fusion, spirited, oram and pacific cats. Itīs not a good idea to build myself, i have to little experience of this kind of building. And i am probably divorced before itīs finished.
At this stage this is exactly my idea as well to go for an FP or Lagoon but not the 380 as I have sailed one, very nice boat, lots of room but slower than either of us would like, the only Privilege that I would go for would be the 435/445 as all the others windows are so positioned that you cannot see easily when sitting down.
I also agree with your comments regarding the kits, I don't have the skills, time and I think my wife would also kill me.
Old 28-08-2008, 11:38   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
I also agree with your comments regarding the kits, I don't have the skills, time and I think my wife would also kill me.

Being fairly handy with boats, I did this analysis as well.

I looked at the cost of a custom build vs buying used and there was no comparison. It's much more cost effective to buy used and work at McDonald's for the hours you would have worked on the boat.

(Or maybe IKEA)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 11:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I think you will be divorced when your wife finds out about your girlfriend.
Donīt tell her.

(My english!)
Old 28-08-2008, 11:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
At this stage this is exactly my idea as well to go for an FP or Lagoon but not the 380 as I have sailed one, very nice boat, lots of room but slower than either of us would like, the only Privilege that I would go for would be the 435/445 as all the others windows are so positioned that you cannot see easily when sitting down.
F-P 36 or Lagoon 380, then i should go for F-P.

About privilege... I want to see out when sitting! Canīt you sit down and see out in a smaller 37 or 39 privilege?
Old 28-08-2008, 11:58   #15

Quote:
F-P 36 or Lagoon 380, then i should go for F-P.

About privilege... I want to see out when sitting! Canīt you sit down and see out in a smaller 37 or 39 privilege?
Maybe I was being a bit unfair, but you cannot see forward when sitting down see this link and I think I am right in saying the 39 is an elongated 37.
2005 12m Privilege 395 Interior photo

I have even considered an older Lagoon 37 or 42 as I have heard that their performance - especially the 42 is good, but they do not beach well and they are a bit older in years than I would really want to go.

What about a Voyage/Maxim 380 or even the neish Leopard 40, good reports on the Leopard and higher bridgedeck clearance than earlier models.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400