Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 09:12   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

19 units launched in 3 years. Not the best selling design. I wonder how many 380 and 400 were sold in the same time
__________________

__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:17   #47
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

@ Rabbi: I dont care I WANT ONE!!! I WANT ONE NOW!!!
__________________

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 13:45   #48
Registered User
 
mikall63's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oregon
Boat: Lagoon L39 Hull# 019
Posts: 17
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

My hull #019 sat at the broker for almost a year and a half before we purchased her in March. Not a huge call for cats up in the PNW. One of the earlier posters said he just delivered hull #061, so I'm pretty sure they've manufactured more in the three years.

Ours came equipped with the Code 0. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but am looking forward to it.

I'll let you know how the performance is as we learn to sail more efficiently. Although, I do remember reading posts when the L39 was first introduced that people didnt' feel she could do 60 degrees, however, we found that not to be the case. We were pointing at just over 30 degrees the other day and moving along quite nicely.
__________________
Mike
MaZu
mikall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:14   #49
Registered User
 
Bunt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gibraltar
Boat: Lagoon 39
Posts: 32
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
19 units launched in 3 years. Not the best selling design. I wonder how many 380 and 400 were sold in the same time
Rabbit where are you getting this from, we have hull 64 and had to wait six months to get it.

Been a great boat for living aboard. Code 0 does well on beam/broad and we fly a Parasailor 140m^2 downwind. I can't say we can get a great angle upwind, in practice we often motor to get a high angle (as do a lot of boats, cats and monos). If you need to make 30 degrees you might want a Catana (daggerboards).

All that said, the brand-new Leopard 40 would be cheaper and also looks very nice, including helm station hardtop, walk-through to bow and flat walkway from transom through to cockpit. Of course a Neel 45 cruising trimaran looks even more interesting, 10 knots without trying and huge single integrated mechanical/storage space underneath. Very happy with the 39 but there are a lot of nice boats about...
__________________
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:42   #50
Registered User
 
Bunt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gibraltar
Boat: Lagoon 39
Posts: 32
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

[QUOTE=Southern Star;1551727]Alfredj, I can't speak to what Bunt did, but can suggest that it would be easy to upgrade the headsail track and car in order to permit you to heave-to from the cockpit. I am confident that the curved track will be a standard size and that you will able to purchase a new car with blocks and end blocks fof the track, such as are used on mainsheet travellers.

Hi Brad I can confirm this is exactly what we did (or at least had done in Southampton, UK). The port & stbd lines run through a double turning point to helm and are secured at the cleat which is conveniently there just behind the winch. Works pretty well.
__________________
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 00:57   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,026
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunt View Post
Rabbit where are you getting this from, we have hull 64 and had to wait six months to get it.
My fault! A few posts up mikall63 said that he had just taken delivery of hull #19 so I was under the impression that this is the current hull count.
Later he qualified that this was a stock boat that has been sitting at the importer for a while.


As for the motoring: The L39 specification reads more like a motor sailor. Wide hulls, very very heavy and little sail area.
Nothing wrong with this and this suits many usage patterns (In areas like the Ionian sea sails are only good for decoration and shade anyway, in tradewind areas one doesn't need much sail to get moving at least in the right direction).
She does look like a nice layout and design with a huge interior volume and large outside living space for the size. It's just that one can't expect stellar performance under sail.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:21   #52
Registered User
 
Bunt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gibraltar
Boat: Lagoon 39
Posts: 32
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
As for the motoring: The L39 specification reads more like a motor sailor. Wide hulls, very very heavy and little sail area.
Nothing wrong with this and this suits many usage patterns (In areas like the Ionian sea sails are only good for decoration and shade anyway, in tradewind areas one doesn't need much sail to get moving at least in the right direction).
She does look like a nice layout and design with a huge interior volume and large outside living space for the size. It's just that one can't expect stellar performance under sail.
I would agree with your reading of the specs. She is very heavy due to reinforcement required to support the aft mast and the very broad hulls. That gives of course a desk and couch in each hull and heads larger than many larger boats. I'd say the design is a bit closer to a big, comfortable RV than a little sportscar. I'd be quite interested in knowing how a Leopard 40 compares as they (finally) have a similarly decent interior but are a good one ton lighter.
__________________
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:30   #53
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Bunt I'd be interested to hear some real data on the L39 performance. I haven't seen anything online. How does she sail.. 7kn in 15kn TWS on the beam? A bit faster in more wind? About 1/3 TWS under parasailor up to around 8 kn boat speed?
Upwind is OK?
I think it's a good move to have the parasailor, it basically negates any negative downwind performance from the slightly smaller sailplan. As does a code zero for closer to the wind.
I'd also be quite interested to know the real weight. I find it a bit odd that it has similar construction techniques and fixtures and fittings to the L400, but is specified heavier, bit I have a feeling the specification may be over, possibly to comply with an EU certification and to allow more passengers. Maybe you can check this next haul out.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:58   #54
Registered User
 
Bunt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gibraltar
Boat: Lagoon 39
Posts: 32
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Bunt I'd be interested to hear some real data on the L39 performance. I haven't seen anything online. How does she sail.. 7kn in 15kn TWS on the beam? A bit faster in more wind? About 1/3 TWS under parasailor up to around 8 kn boat speed?
Upwind is OK?
I think it's a good move to have the parasailor, it basically negates any negative downwind performance from the slightly smaller sailplan. As does a code zero for closer to the wind.
I'd also be quite interested to know the real weight. I find it a bit odd that it has similar construction techniques and fixtures and fittings to the L400, but is specified heavier, bit I have a feeling the specification may be over, possibly to comply with an EU certification and to allow more passengers. Maybe you can check this next haul out.
Hey Monte. I can't say without reference to the sea -- 15kn TWS on beam in completely flat water you might (off top of head) make 5.5kn and get 7-8 with code-zero. For the code-zero we rigged three lines at the bow (bowsprit and one on each hull) so sail can be moved about, allows us to get closer to the wind.

However, if you're heading into heavy seas even with the engines she'll slam down to 3kn. Max boat speed so far is 13.7kn while surfing. On a typical 20kn day I'm happy with 6kn, if we touch 7 or 8 that would be an especially good day. She's a solid boat but I'd say built with an eye towards comfort and safety instead of speed. 'Underpowered' is another word for conservative I'd say and that's something I actually want. If you're really trying to get speed then sure code-zero and parasailor but as always that won't get you upwind. I've had it said don't go upwind period, just wait till wind changes to suit, maybe good advice!

Weight confused me as well I asked a lot of Lagoon etc. people. Best explanation I heard was the one I suggested (reinforcements for aft mast and extra-wide hulls). Our washer/dryer/dishwasher probably doesn't help either .

Any other L39 owners out there with stories to tell? Good/bad experiences, hints, tips? A few ideas:
- why the heck is the port engine control behind the wheel where the autohelm can take off your finger?
- what's the cleat at the helm station supposed to be used for?
- why are there two large eye bolts on the bimini roof above the two large steel supports?
- anyone tried to change the hoses to/from the heads, specifically the one that runs from the toilet under the floor to the blackwater tank? You'd have to mouse it I'm guessing.
- we put two steel risers just above the davits, two 12' paddleboard/windsurf boards fit there perfectly, much better than strapping to lifelines.
- we have strange ideas about building a removable wood deck above the tramp and/or a proper ladder to a completely flat sunbed area on the roof. anyone else? sunbed over the davits maybe?

Cheers all,
Bunt
__________________
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:00   #55
Registered User
 
Bunt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gibraltar
Boat: Lagoon 39
Posts: 32
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikall63 View Post
We were pointing at just over 30 degrees the other day and moving along quite nicely.
Hi mikall63 that's remarkable, can you tell us the conditions? Motors, wind, reef? Did you e.g. flatten the gib with a line to the windlass/anchor chain? Did you fix the gib traveller at any point on the track? I'd like to get 30 as well!
__________________
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:42   #56
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunt View Post
Hey Monte. I can't say without reference to the sea -- 15kn TWS on beam in completely flat water you might (off top of head) make 5.5kn and get 7-8 with code-zero. For the code-zero we rigged three lines at the bow (bowsprit and one on each hull) so sail can be moved about, allows us to get closer to the wind.



However, if you're heading into heavy seas even with the engines she'll slam down to 3kn. Max boat speed so far is 13.7kn while surfing. On a typical 20kn day I'm happy with 6kn, if we touch 7 or 8 that would be an especially good day. She's a solid boat but I'd say built with an eye towards comfort and safety instead of speed. 'Underpowered' is another word for conservative I'd say and that's something I actually want. If you're really trying to get speed then sure code-zero and parasailor but as always that won't get you upwind. I've had it said don't go upwind period, just wait till wind changes to suit, maybe good advice!



Weight confused me as well I asked a lot of Lagoon etc. people. Best explanation I heard was the one I suggested (reinforcements for aft mast and extra-wide hulls). Our washer/dryer/dishwasher probably doesn't help either .



Any other L39 owners out there with stories to tell? Good/bad experiences, hints, tips? A few ideas:

- why the heck is the port engine control behind the wheel where the autohelm can take off your finger?

- what's the cleat at the helm station supposed to be used for?

- why are there two large eye bolts on the bimini roof above the two large steel supports?

- anyone tried to change the hoses to/from the heads, specifically the one that runs from the toilet under the floor to the blackwater tank? You'd have to mouse it I'm guessing.

- we put two steel risers just above the davits, two 12' paddleboard/windsurf boards fit there perfectly, much better than strapping to lifelines.

- we have strange ideas about building a removable wood deck above the tramp and/or a proper ladder to a completely flat sunbed area on the roof. anyone else? sunbed over the davits maybe?



Cheers all,

Bunt


Bunt, I'm not sure if the L39 is exactly the same as the L400 but to answer some if your questions with our experiences on the L380 and L400

We always pass our hand behind the wheel to stop and start the engines, unless maybe handsteering at the time.

We use the cleat at the helm to tie off the topping lift at maximum we would want to lower it. This allows it to be clear of the sail under most points of sail and we control the slack with the jammers. It's a safety backup to avoid dropping the boom too low.

We don't have two large eyes in the Bimini but I'd like to have then for securing the main downwind to avoid accidental gybed. We usually run a line around the boom and down to a cleat, but 2 eyes would be a good solution.

I'd like to have a bar above our davits for the SUP as well. Usually we just lay it on top but the lines running can cause chafe so we have to angle it when lowering or raising the dink.

We have more than enough lounging areas and don't like to be in the sun any more than we already are most days.

Cheers
Monte
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 16:34   #57
Registered User
 
katsumi's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney,NSW, Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 153
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Hi Bunt
The eye bolts I am assuming are on top of the support posts either side of the track? I have added eye bolts on our boat here so I can secure the boom in rolly anchorages, I have see a new L39 recently and the were using it for the same purpose.
I would be interested to see a photo of the steel risers you have over the davits, I have the same problem as Monte explained with chaffing from the lines on the boards etc.
Regards
Nick
__________________
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
- James Dean -
katsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09   #58
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

We got hull #90 in September 2014 as scheduled. Unfortunately the local Yanmar agent in La Rochelle was very slow in repairing the problem with the port saildrive (SD60) (reverse gear did not engage), so that we could not do much sailing then.

This year in May-June we took the boat to from France to Portugal, and I can report here something of the downwind performance. We have Parasailor (140 sqm) and this is one snapshot I happened to record:

TWS=12.3 kn TWA=167 deg SOG=6.6 kn
TWS=16.7 kn TWA=158 deg SOG=8.2 kn
TWS=19.7 kn TWA=153 deg SOG=9.3 kn

I am very happy with the boat. She is very comfortable and heavy but incredibly rigid and solid, and the performance is OK for me. Just the way I like it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parasailor speed.pdf (216.5 KB, 83 views)
__________________
Alfred J
AlfredJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:14   #59
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

They look like very nice downwind figures. Try check the speed through water rather than SOG just to eliminate any current effects from the equation. We have the 125m2 parasailor on our L400 and see slightly lower speeds than your observations unless surfing or in a favourable current. 9.3kn in 20kn TWS is great!
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32   #60
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Lagoon 39 Experiences?

Monte: I did not record the STW, but in the photos B&G indicates 1.0 to 1.8 kn current against. I assume that this number is calculated as the (vector) difference between SOG (given by GPS) and STW (given by the speed sensor), but in our case the ultrasonic speed sensor (Airmar CS4500) is not calibrated yet against GPS. However, it seems to give similar numbers than the paddle-wheel sensor of B&G, and should not be far off.
__________________

__________________
Alfred J
AlfredJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc, lagoon

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lagoon 380 owners Vs. Lagoon 41 Standard chad.lawie Multihull Sailboats 45 07-01-2015 07:06
560: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms? MehmetCan Lagoon Catamarans 103 12-11-2012 08:26
Experiences (pro and don) with Bethel-Marine? Rick B. Marine Electronics 0 06-06-2006 13:12
Moorings out of charter - experiences? DanB_NC Multihull Sailboats 2 02-12-2005 11:00
Looking to Buy a Used Lagoon 38 or Lagoon 41 DiAnn Multihull Sailboats 0 12-04-2005 10:22



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.