Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
It was a 380. Lagoon have issued a statement

Yahoo! Groups

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47   #32

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
I'd highly doubt that you can UNLOCK the hatch from OUTSIDE.
You should be able to and this is a CE requirement that all French builders adhere to. My Belize 43 have escape hatches in the heads and a custom fitted aluminium bar connects over the opening handles. This is held down by gravity and if the boat should go belly up this will fall down and the outside handles can be used.

This system allows for locking mechanism to prevent intrusion under normal sircumstances but allows entry if flipped without doing any prior actions to allo for re-entry.

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:14   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
Prayers go out to the family of another lost sailor,
Danny
Old 24-12-2015, 15:19   #34

Re: Lagoon 440 Tragedy

Yeah, actually moreso. Just forget about righting her.
Victory 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 15:44   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Over 8.5 years! This might be a record for reopening a thread!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:56   #36

Extremely interesting...I was on that boat.

9 year anniversary just a few days ago, has never left me.

kevin
Rovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:01   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Welcomed to the forum Kevin.
A tragic event, I remember seeing a documentary on this and other similar events.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 17:29   #38

You saw the BBC interview, that was the only reporting that I felt did our story justice.
I think of Steve a lot, we became very good friends over those 2 months together. We had made plans to do another delivery after that one. A very good man.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-02-2016, 17:44   #39

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin View Post
Extremely interesting...I was on that boat.

9 year anniversary just a few days ago, has never left me.

kevin
It is an old thread but new information, that is if you have something to add to what had been said on the thread regarding the accident.

Being on that boat you have certainly a privileged view about the accident and what happened, even if I bet that you would have gladly skip that privilege
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:12   #40

Boat: LAGOON 400

hope for some comment I am preparing my boat for capsize scenario...

Can see upturned cat is stable and floats well for months, based on several recent pics.

My idea is if seas are overwhelming, simply go in owner hull, prepare <to be completed> for capsize, and relax. Capsize may be bumpy but after that plan B should kick in.

You were all outside. Why didnt you go inside hulls ? Even if escape hatch not open and cant be broken, diving and entering via main door should not be such an issue, considering alternatives...

Or it was not floating that well ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:43   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon 440 Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
hope for some comment I am preparing my boat for capsize scenario...

Can see upturned cat is stable and floats well for months, based on several recent pics.

My idea is if seas are overwhelming, simply go in owner hull, prepare <to be completed> for capsize, and relax. Capsize may be bumpy but after that plan B should kick in.

You were all outside. Why didnt you go inside hulls ? Even if escape hatch not open and cant be broken, diving and entering via main door should not be such an issue, considering alternatives...

Or it was not floating that well ?
If sea's were 30ft as reported I think that would have been a recipe for dying fast.. I've been banged on the head by a hull while diving a fouled prop in a 'Calm' sea with swell.. and that stunned me.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 05:40   #42

I figured that there would be some questions and I'll do the best I can because I feel there is some information here. Can't do it all at once don't have enough time to write a report all at once but can piece meal it.

I have waited this long because it was a tragedy of the loss of Steve Hobley a man that was a wonderful father of two, became a grandfather AS we were crossing the Atlantic and had become a dear friend of mine. I have done a few TV interviews on this in the past closer to the date of the accident then felt that I had to move on with life.

Sailing has been a large part of my life and now I am starting the next part of my life's adventure. My wife and two boys are in the process of selling everything and buying a boat and sailing off (push off date summer 2017).

As for questions posed so far the waves (according to my guess and confirmed by speaking with the commander of the CG helicopter) the waves were 35-45' with an extra biggie every now and then.

I was down in the port forward cabin when we flipped. I obviously didn't see what Exactly happened but from talking with Ole (the other crew that survived) it was a combination pitch pole and push over. We were surfing down the waves under bare poles at 23kt. When we rolled the waves were a very steep short period 45' breakers, everywhere. I felt the speed the angle down the wave and two bangs, first in front then in back. The second one in the back was huge.
So I believe we hit the back of the wave in front while simultaneously being rolled over by a breaker on own starboard quarter, the amount of water falling down the face of the wave and the speed at which the came was for a lack of a better description was impressive. A 4 story building collapsing down on itself.

It happened so fast that before the roll was complete the boat was flooded up to my lower chest. Panicking we believed that the boat was going to go down so we went out the escape hatch.

Going back inside was throughly thought about but was impossible because of a few thing.
if you decide to go outside (as we thought the boat was going to the bottom, fast) the air escapes for the boat and settles further down in the water.

Remember we are still in 45' breaking seas with 20 minutes of light left. The waves broke over the boat like it was a beach with 15-20 second frequency.
Also the boat orientated itself stern-to the waves so there was a constant explosion of water coming from where the hatches were. The weight of the engines pulled the sterns down deep in the water and the bows rose. The hatches were basically not an option but one which i wish we had.

kevin
Old 23-02-2016, 05:55   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for this Rovin..
Its good to get some real life info and experience on this.. for while there is a lot of Theory spouted on here about these situations.. remarkably few survive these type of conditions to lay out some facts about the event and what was truly possible..
as opposed to just what the 'salesmen' say..
Much appreciated...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 23-02-2016, 06:13   #44

No problem.

I know what you are saying and there is a lot of misinformation. There were things we did right and things we did wrong, I hope to get them out so they don"t happen again or maybe give some insight to what might be a better plan of action.

To answer your answer straight forward the situation was so out of control so fast with such violence that thinking wasn't an option you had right away. Took sometime to gather thoughts and figure out how not to die.

kevin
Old 23-02-2016, 06:23   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin View Post
No problem.

I know what you are saying and there is a lot of misinformation. There were things we did right and things we did wrong, I hope to get them out so they don"t happen again or maybe give some insight to what might be a better plan of action.

To answer your answer straight forward the situation was so out of control so fast with such violence that thinking wasn't an option you had right away. Took sometime to gather thoughts and figure out how not to die.

kevin
Know exactly what your saying..
Its what I call a 'Black Ice' moment.. but on water.. its right down to basic instincts.. thought follows further down the line..

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440