Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 11:47   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to Darby695
Lagoon 380 S2 Jamming Furler

Hi Guys.

I'm in Australia with 2006 Lagoon 380 with a Harken Furler that has started jamming going both out and in!
It seems worse under higher pressures, to clear the jamming I point more into wind and see-saw the two lines till it eventually clears!
The halyard is twisting around the top as it jams!
I have varied the halyard tension and it seems to jam less frequently at lesser tension?
Thanks in advance .
Darby
Darby695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lagoon 380 S2 Jamming Furler

Sounds like your top bearings need a good hosing with fresh water...
Drop the Genny and take a look..
But.. I'm likely wrong..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 13:09   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Lagoon 380 S2 Jamming Furler

What phil said. Let us know how it goes
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 21:08   #4

I'll drop the Genoa and spray with fresh water!
It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm back on the boat, as its berthed in Cairns waiting for our next stint North.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:36   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Halyard wrap is a common and dangerous problem.

You need the halyard to either have a good angle, or be "block to block" to avoid halyard wrap.

Halyard wrap eventually saws through the forestay...with catastrophic results.

I agree with a good flush of the upper bearing too...can't hurt.

A furling headsail does not need much tension, which is the opposite of what us old timers learned...used to be a hank on jib got lots of tension to avoid wrinkles and stretch at the hanks.

You might also check your backstay tension...if its too slack, would make the forestay sag enough to cause trouble.

I went through all this myself, and with a little tweaking you can likely solve this problem.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau 49

The angle between forestay and halyard should be at least 20 degrees to prevent the halyard from wrapping. If the sail has a short hoist and the swivel is well below the masthead, you may need to add a pennant to get the upper swivel high enough to get the proper lead.

Many years ago, I designed the first Hood Sea Furl and later Cruising Design's Reefer. Halyard wrapping was an early problem before we understood the trig of the forestay, halyard and upper swivel.
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:34   #7

Utahsailor, so it was you who designed the Hood Sea Furl. I had one for some years and overcame halyard wrap by attaching the spinnaker pole topping lift to the jib halyard attachment point on the non-rotating part of the top swivel. Hoist the sail and the topping lift goes up with the jib halyard then put just a little tension on the topping lift which pulls in and down on the tensioned halyard and it can never wrap around the foil. The halyard pulls up and the topping lift pulls down.

That can be done on any furler when there is an available spinnaker pole topping lift or similar lower halyard. Doing that the topping lift goes up from its own turning block but as there is not much tension it simply bears on the top of the sheeve box which is smooth.

When I change to a 3/4 size jib on my now ReefRite furler there are several feet of halyard between the top swivel and the jib halyard block in the mast. I do the same proceedure and the halyard never wraps. In fact I often do that as a precaution even with a full length head sail. I also have a saddle on the mast that deflects the halyard away from the swivel and the foil.

Eventually after several years the Hood Seafurl would jam. The wire forestay had cut a short groove into the top of the Hood Foil. I sold the Hood to someone with a smaller boat and I believe now slightly shortened it's still working.

I don't have a Lagoon unfortunately I only get to walk past some going to my boat, but that idea might be helpful.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 13:50   #8

Thanks,
Unfortunately no Spinaker,
I've had another suggestion that I would appreciate some feedback on please.
The gentleman suggests that I can prevent the halyard turning with the jam by attaching a guide on the mast with stainless screws . Then adjust the tension on the halyard for optimum results.
I feel this may be a simple fix but concerned with the wear on the halyard!
Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2015, 14:27   #9

You could rig a line up from in front of the base of the mast to do the same thing though it might ding. Easy enough to try if you have a place to tie it. My ReefRite came with a largish saddle on the mast that the halyard goes through between the top swivel and the halyard sheave box. It pulls the halyard away from the foil. It causes no wear that I've seen as it only has pressure on it as the halyard is finally tightened. It needs to be in the right place in keeping with the height of your longest sail. That's common on other makes of furler as well. If you google installation instructions for ReefRite or other makes you will see it. Works well. ReefRite is manufactured in Kerikeri NZ and I'm sure they'd send you one for your size halyard regardless of furler make.
Old 04-08-2015, 14:37   #10

By the way if you get a saddle don't use SS screws. Monel pop rivets are better as nothing sharp is inside the mast. Also use Duralac or other corrosion inhibiter between the fitting and mast.
Old 04-08-2015, 15:34   #11

I just did a quick google of ReefRite. There is a U.S. Agent; also the New Zealand manufactures web site with contact details including phone numbers. I couldn't easily see reference to the saddle we are discussing. If you decide to get one of these purpose made saddles I would think it would be much quicker to get one mailed from NZ than via US agents. With the phone number use NZ prefix +64 and remove the front 0 of the number shown. Be aware of time / date differences. Kevin will probably be the man that will help you.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47   #12

Boat: Beneteau 49

I've seen saddles used too and one company had a stainless steel bail that the halyard ran through, mounted at the correct height on the mast. Really anything that exerts a larger load aft than the friction of the swivel will work.
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, lagoon, lagoon 380