Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 09:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Lagoon 380 S2 Engine Troubles

I've got a new Lagoon 380 S2 with VOLVO D1-30. After few weeks on several occasions the port engine has stopped while steaming. Presently about ten Lagoon 380 encounter the same problem. Has anyone else had any difficulty with this engine ?
There is an in-house struggle between BENETEAU and VOLVO due to bad assembling on production line.
maranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 10:01   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
That's an unfortunate problem. Do you know the nature of the problem with your engine?

My old Beneteau had a Volvo which was basically a very dependable engine with 10+ years of good service. The only trouble we ever had was a fried solenoid.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 10:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Is either one accepting any responsibility? I assume your engine is still under warranty. I would write both companies and your yacht broker a letter saying you are displeased and that you will be suing everyone involved for the costs of hiring a diesel mechanic, give them 10 days to provide you with a remedy, and then go ahead and hire the diesel mechanic. It's total BS that you have to suffer because neither of these companies want to accept responsibility.

I would not mess with the engine yourself...not while it is under warranty and is supposed to be someone else's problem. You will have less of a recourse if you try to fix it yourself because you are not an authorized Volvo mechanic. How would you do the billing for example? Take it to an authorized Volvo repair mechanic and then sue them for the cost of the repairs if worse comes to worse. I'm sure a small claims judge will be sympathetic to your case.

Some might suggest that you start tinkering with the engine...I wouldn't do it. Not with a new engine still under warranty.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 10:18   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum, Maranta. Glad you're here.

If, as can happen, the engine is shutting down due to over-heating, I would guess that insufficient cooling water is being drawn in through the inadequate (in my opinion) intake through the saildrive. Here's a post directly on point from the Volvo Saildrive thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
I have Volvo sail drives and had frequent over heating problems. I installed new through hulls with sea strainers and quit trying to get cooling water through the sail drive. All my problems went away.

FWIW, I'm told that the sail drive is exactly the same unit as used by Yanmar so this is probably not just a Volvo issue.

George
If it isn't an overheating issue, well, never mind.

TaoJones
Old 23-02-2008, 10:49   #5

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would not mess with the engine yourself...not while it is under warranty and is supposed to be someone else's problem.
I think David M is absolutely correct on this point.

That said, what was going on when the engine shut down? Under load? Idle? Any unusual smoke or noises? Do you have a manual fuel shut off or a solenoid? Have you investigated/changed the filters? Are you drinking warm beer?

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 11:58   #6

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranta View Post
I've got a new Lagoon 380 S2 with VOLVO D1-30. After few weeks on several occasions the port engine has stopped while steaming. Presently about ten Lagoon 380 encounter the same problem. Has anyone else had any difficulty with this engine ?
There is an in-house struggle between BENETEAU and VOLVO due to bad assembling on production line.

I know someone who picked up a brand new 380 last july, on the delivery trip up to Denmark, they couldn't start one of the engines, after a few days. They got serice in Holland, and the technician there told them that he had seen the same problem on at least 10 other boats that month. Apparently it was a defect in the starting relay setup.

I know this should not be your problem, unless there is a fuel solenoid linked up to this relay.

I suggest you contact Vovo in Sweden, and ask if they know of the problem you describe.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 12:48   #7

Many thanks for your answers
The problem is a bad assemply of the fuel pipe inside the tank. When the fuel reaches half level and the sea is rough we have optimum conditions for an engine quitting. The fuel pump can’t deliver a correct pressure due to back-pressure in the tank. For information the tank is below engine level, under the rear cabin floor.
With two others owners we push Beneteau for an answer but they let the matter drag on. They suggest alternative solution to avoid the tank dismantling.
For Dave : What about « warm beer » is it an american joke ? If yes, switch on the light for me, I am french
Old 23-02-2008, 15:18   #8

Boat: Catana 471
Maranta - wishing you success in resolving your fuel problem.

Quote:
For Dave : What about « warm beer » is it an american joke ? If yes, switch on the light for me, I am french
Yes, a joke, and perhaps not a good one.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 15:24   #9

Boat: Lotus 10.6
My D1 30 has just come up to 230hours and still into it's warranty. I have noticed a small seeping oil leak at the front base of the engine. Will be emailing the Volvo dealer next week. Man I "hate" Volvos....
Old 23-02-2008, 16:30   #10

Quote:
Many thanks for your answers
The problem is a bad assemply of the fuel pipe inside the tank. When the fuel reaches half level and the sea is rough we have optimum conditions for an engine quitting. The fuel pump can’t deliver a correct pressure due to back-pressure in the tank. For information the tank is below engine level, under the rear cabin floor.
With two others owners we push Beneteau for an answer but they let the matter drag on. They suggest alternative solution to avoid the tank dismantling.
This isn't Volvos problem. Beneteau needs to fix their tank problem.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 18:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
The problem is a bad assemply of the fuel pipe inside the tank. When the fuel reaches half level
I agree with Pat. This is not a Volvo fault, in fact it is not an engine fault no matter what brand.
The issue is the fuel tank. The boat biulder needs to solve their mistake with their tank design.

I don't understand about your comment of "backpressure" being the complaint. There should be no pressure or vacum. The airspace should be neutral pressure. There needs to be a tank vent and that should be clear. You ned to check that the tank is vented properly so as the airspace does not create either a vacum nor pressure in the tank.
The only other point to check, make sure the fuel lines, both supply and return and large enough.
But as stated, if it is under warranty, get the supplier to sort it for you. It is not nor should be your problem.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 19:43   #12

I would first check to make sure the vent hose is run free and does not have any low loops to collect fuel. Then I would pull the pick up tube and confirm it is of correct length to reach approx 25mm off of the bottom of the tank.
Old 23-02-2008, 23:35   #13

It’s the responsability of Volvo to validate the whole fuel system. But how the validation is made ? On the production line or in an office. Presently the unluky owners wait the end of the constructors war. The defect is proved Beneteau shall pay.
And now, how many boats cruise with the defect ? Is it solved for the new deliveries ?
Old 24-02-2008, 08:19   #14

Quote:
It’s the responsability of Volvo to validate the whole fuel system. But how the validation is made ? On the production line or in an office. Presently the unluky owners wait the end of the constructors war. The defect is proved Beneteau shall pay.
And now, how many boats cruise with the defect ? Is it solved for the new deliveries ?
In this case it doesn't mater who's responsible. This needs to fixed, even if the owner has to pay the money upfront. To have an engine die at sea is not acceptable. If a Captain wouldn't first take care of his vessel and crew. There is a problem in the management of the vessel.
Old 25-02-2008, 02:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
To have an engine die at sea is not acceptable. If a Captain wouldn't first take care of his vessel and crew. There is a problem in the management of the vessel.
I agree your comment.
I should have said : how many boats cruise without to be aware of the defect. This erratic engine failure occurs in specific conditions. Our Volvo agents have changed filters and pre-filter several times before they suspect something more important. The trouble is known beetween serial number 380 and 440 for cat equipped with Volvo D1-30. But the matter is perhaps more extent.
"Volvo europe" technicians have fitted a faulty engine with transparent fuel pipe. During the test in open water some bubbles appeared.
The trouble shooting goes on very slowly.
The BENETEAU and VOLVO management need to restore efficiency. With the success the watchfullness is getting bad. Money, money money…

Tags
engine, lagoon, lagoon 380