Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56   #1

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Lagoon 380 Owners and Fans

Lagoon 380 Owners & Fans

Have not found much here on Lagoon 380.

But I think there must be many owners and interest here since they have sold many.

This thread is a hangout for owners (current or future) to hang out and get in touch.

If you're a current, future or possible owner, please introduce yourself, and let us know your aspirations.

For my part, I am the looking to order one for delivery early 2009. And are very interested in comments on use and equipment for use on the boat (both necessary and extras). The first years I will also rent it out (up here in North Norway, North of the Arctic circle) Then I and my girlfriend intend to live aboard and cruise.

Erik
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18   #2

Some more thoughts..

I like the big and spacious interior of the boat.

Many is claiming the Lagoon 380 is not a fast boat and that is true, but as I don´t mind spending more time on a long leg (trip) that is not an issue for me.

I am more concerned about loading capacity and bridge deck clearance than speed.

Hope to hear more from yours experience...

This is a good link to one owner web site Indigo Moon

Erik
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Some more thoughts..

Many is claiming the Lagoon 380 is not a fast boat and that is true, but as I don´t mind spending more time on a long leg (trip) that is not an issue for me.

I am more concerned about loading capacity and bridge deck clearance than speed.

Erik
She is a very heavy boat for her size, if you compare it to the Athena from FP, she is 1600 kgs heavier = 29%!!

For loading, ask them what the immersion rate is. (kgs/cm) This will give you an idea. Then get the weight of all the options you want installed, extra anchors/chain etc. Add full fuel/water, and the weight of crew, their personal stuff, provisions etc. Liferaft.

Then you can calculate how much she will sink, the loss in bridgedeck clearance etc.
If you want to carry alot of stuff, go for a bigger boat, maybe a used one instead.(Lots of great deals on the east coast of the US at present).

For sailing up where you are, you will need a good heating system or 2 maybe, one for each side. (another 30 kgs?)

In the summer, you probably have light winds, then she will be a lousy sailer, probably less than 40% of windspeed. Will your customers be happy with that? Above 10 knots wind you might start approaching 45-50% windspeed.

Good luck with your project?

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42   #4

Boat: Catana 471
There is a Lagoon owners group at
lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01   #5

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Lagoon 400

I have heard rumors that the 380 will be dropped when the new 400 is launched early next year hence the reason for the recent facelift of the 380 (Club/Premier).
If you are set on a Lagoon then it might be worth enquiring about one of the first hulls of the 400 as they are always heavily discounted for the first 5 hulls. Outline details are available on their website.
Just my 2 cents worth as I know I wouldn't be too happy about buying a brand new boat that is superceded within a few months of being delivered.
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 15:22   #6

Boat: Looking fo a CAT
Hi All
Question: regarding the refergeration system on the Moorings lagoon 38.
Will the freezer keep food frozen while sailing? Will the freezer run off the batteries while sailing? Will an hour into harbor and an hour out keep the house charged?? Will it be necessary to add solar and how much is needed. based on concervative use , keeping food frozen for long trips.
irayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:17   #7

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Any freezer will keep food frozen if it continues to work.
A freezer will work off a 12 or 24V system, but will be a very heavy drain on the batteries.
Two hours motoring a day would most probably keep the batteries topped up, depending of course on how efficient your battery charging system is and what other drain there is on the batteries (lights, radios, autopilot, entertainment system etc etc).
On longer trips, if you lose the freezer then you've lost a lot of food. If you're considering long ocean passages of three weeks or more then in my opinion it isn't wise to put all your eggs(food) in one basket (the freezer). Thawed food spoils quickly in warm climates so you run the risk of losing all your food supplies for the trip. Fishing is not always successful
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 17:33   #8

Thanks for the reply. However I was looking for actual knowledge of an owner who can make ice. What is the system... How is it rigged. IE... Sailing for a few days at a time...They trun on the wind prop at night to keep the greedy auto pilot running and durring the day they turn it off and use the solar system. I know that there is someone out there with a formula...As I understand the refer runs on the starborad engine...The problem is there is no back up for this system if the starboard fails. Your motor is broke and your food is rotten.
Old 06-04-2008, 18:10   #9

PAYLOAD DATA OF CRUISING CATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Some more thoughts..

Erik
Hi Eric
Here's the stuff Catamarans by Gregor Tarjan

OVERALL LENGTH POUNDS pER INCH AGERAGE PAYLOAD
30 LOA 730 2600 LBS
38 905 3700 LBS
45 1230 4800
55 1950 7500

Travel light we sail naked so that eliminates a lot of gear. Have a dock party. Take your boat out solo on a good day and sail it for an hour or so. Come back to the dock pick up 10 people and take the same sail. Have a scale to get an accurate wieght measurment. You will FEEL the difference and become one with your boat.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:07   #10

Hi again J

I have read many off the former treads on multihull of different type and the discussion on weight speed etc. Also on lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group

And short of speed I really can’t find anything wrong with the Lagoon 380 or other Lagoons for that matter (new ones).

Concerning speed, ok it will be good and sometimes very good to be able to outrun a storm but mostly you can avoid it to begin with. And also you probably will be at anchor or not travelling for most off the time, so as before some days more on a long leg don’t matter.

Today I am using a Viknes 900 kombi offshore fishing boat/cruiser and have option on using a other Viknes that travels by twice the speed (12 knots/22 knots) but prefers the slower on as it is a much better seaworthy boat (has been out at sea in full gale with 6-8 meters waves in it).

That said I would like a boat with good deck space, large windows in the main living rooms, and airy and light cabins and with Lagoon I also get wonderful views from the cabins (do to the large windows).

I don’t have and endless supply of money to bay the fastest and best sail boat. And don’t have time for a self built boat either. And would like a tested system and seaworthy boat, not and experimental one. The Lagoon 380 seam a good compromise (although a slower boat) of all mention above.

Concerning loading capacity that is important and travel light can be hard, especially since I am a scuba diver and would always bring some equipment….

The data for Lagoon 400 will be ready in June/July this year and will have a look on them before deciding on a boat.

Concerning boat at high or low latitudes The Wild Vikings Jarle Andhøy travelled to the Antarctic in a very small boat (under 30 feet) when he was just 19-20 years and travelled to Spitsbergen (and the North Pole ice cap) in a small boat later so a big boat like Lagoon 380 should not be a problem.

This is the web site of one who owns and rent out a Lagoon 41 even further north than I am living http://www.barents-sail.no/

What I really would like is some one with experience of the use of Lagoon 380 commenting on use of this boat.

What is it like in high waves wind Etc.
Loading capacity (not theoretical but in real life)
Equipment considerations
Sails useful

Etc. Etc.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:23   #11

The 380

HI
I am also interested in a 380... In my reasearch I want a safe boat...I like to stay out of trouble and sometimes going fast can get you into trouble.
Here is a good read...Catamaran The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors by Gregor Tarjan...Published by muitihulls magazine.
Old 06-05-2008, 23:44   #12

Lagoon 380 or Leopard 404

Hi all, we are new to cruising and would like some advice, we are moving to Malaysia in the summer, I have a wife and 2 boys and are currently looking at purchasing a catamaran, we are torn between either a Lagoon 380 or the Leopard 404, any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Escapee
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:42   #13
jzk

Lagoon 38 at Grand Bahama Yacht Club

I saw a Lagoon 38 this weekend at the Grand Bahama Yacht Club, and I must say I was impressed. It had good bridge deck clearance, and everything seemed layed out pretty well.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:53   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Winds Aloft"
I'm looking for feedback from someone who has switched the original Volvo saildrive props to the 3 blade Max-Prop on a Lagoon 380. I want to know about any experiences, negative or positive. Anyone done this or have first hand knowledge?
-Casey
winds aloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:14   #15

2001 380 repairs after a lighting strike

Wow! Some bad luck and some good luck. We bought her this past summer and while we were having her hull painted WHAM. She gets struck by lighting. Virtually every electrical item fried. We found plastic light parts in the cabins, on the decks. Anyway, that was the bad luck if you were wondering. Now the good luck; the insurance company is paying out. So we are upgrading a few things while we repair. Here is where we could use your help. We did not get to know her electrical systems. We could use someone to help us understand her better.

Item 1)
We have fuses on the 12v distribution panel for steaming lights and deck light. Half way up the front of the mast we see the remains of what might have been a light. If this is the steaming light, then where is the deck light? Was the deck light standard equipment, if so where is it located?

We also have some questions about how the battery switches work.

Thanks sailors.
380-2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380