Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 17:30   #1

Lagoon 380 ?

I went to the boat show">Miami boat show and spent a lot of time with the lagoon dealer and the leopard dealer. I have done years of looking and just about ready. After reading tons of post and talking to sailors galore I have decided the best boat for us is the boat that is the smallest boat you can comfortable live on. I think that is a 38 lagoon I did love the 40 leopard and lagoon is coming out with a 40 this year but with the 2 extra feet there will be more cost and expense and my thought are is it really needed. I found a 1 year old for 320 owners version loaded and that seem good. I just don’t want to be that person that goes “man I wish I bought a bigger one.” Any thoughts on owners of the smaller size. Of course for 2 38 is more of a average mono hull..
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 17:59   #2

R:
Are you familiar with this L380?.........they have been cruising for a couple of years
Indigo Moon
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 21:07   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Lagoon 380

We chartered the Lagoon 380s in Belize for a week. Very nice boat, no speedster though as the best speed we got was about 9.5 knots in 20+ knots of wind.

The plusses are obvious -- very nice finish and layout. I would enjoy owning one. In general the quality was very nice.

After a week here are my "issues" I would change if it were my boat:
  1. The "French puzzle" covering the engines became a chore to deal with. After the third day I decided to skip checking the oil as part of the daily routine, as levels were holding steady and it ws too much trouble to access.
  2. The narrow rolled padded back on the helm seat started to make a sore spot on my back after a few days. A broader (flat) seat back would be more pleasant and comfortable for long-term use.
  3. It was a long trip around from the helm seat around the outside of boat and around the back to the cabin door. 90% of the time the helmsman is coming or going between the cabin and helm. I would make a direct path by opening up the rail to the right of the helm and adding a step in the fiberglass bulkhead to facilitate the direct path to climb from seat to door.
  4. The keels are hollow and open to the bilge, and there is no floor in the bow compartments. Those areas are prone to flooding in event of damage from a hard grounding: I would glass-in foam-cored FRP bulkheads (with inspection ports) at the top of the keels and as floors (above waterline) in the bow compartments. That would make water-tight bulkheads for flood control and I think the boat would be safer as a result, for only a few thousand $ more mostly in labor that could be done by a handy owner.
  5. The fresh water was pressurized electric but the salt-water galley pump was manual foot-pump. IMHO it should be the other way around, as fresh water is more precious, or make them both electric.
One negative that is designed-in and beyond my ability to correct is windward performance (and leeway on a reach). It was nowhere near as good as we're accustomed to. This is a boat that will be motored or motor-sailed if going to windward.

Overall we were very impressed and would enjoy owning one of these boats. I would enjoy it even more if it was more of a performance boat, but that's personal bias and I'm spoiled by owning a tri.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 04:41   #4

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
We chartered a 380 a few years ago and loved it. It was a test to see if we liked it enough to spend the money and cross over to the darkside and buy a cat. In retrospect the main thing that I have found is that I like a galley down arrangement better than the galley up as in the 380. To me it is much more functional and give more room. Also, in the 380 salon it was cramped trying to get in and out around the table.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 04:57   #5
cruiser

Not commenting on the Lagoon specifically, but I think you have made a very wise decision. I did not wait the years you did when looking for a boat. I went out and got a boat with a large LOA (45') and found that while it was fun to pull into places with and great for stability, it was, in fact, more than 2 people need.

With the mountain of money you save owning a smaller boat, you can cruise for a more extended time.

I just got at 34' (10 Meter) cat. The thing is HUGE inside. It's got more room and storage than my 45' mono did and is just bigger in every way. My personal opinion is that you have wisely done your research. Going smaller with a cat really isn't going smaller at all!

My 34' cat has about the same room as a 50-60' mono... same size salon table, same size berths, same (or bigger) galley and a large deck and stuff. I keep wondering how all this fits into a little 34' boat... ??
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380