Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2004, 13:54   #1
mpk

Lagoon 380

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a captian to us. We are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale July 12th to Charleston SC and we would like to take someone along who knows cats and would be willing to share knowledge. We looked into water sailing">Blue Water Sailing school, but they want 350 a day for a captain/ teacher. I believe the going rate is 250 a day for a cptn but I could be wrong. Any info would help.
Thanks!
mpk
mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 06:51   #2

I think you should hire Harriet since she is now a seasoned veteran on that route.

You might try looking up Chuck Kanter, a well known mutihull advocate in South Florida. He may have an interest, or would likely be able to refer you to someone who would be suitable for a more reasonable price.

http://www.sailcopress.com/

Also, depending upon your general sailing experience, you may want to just use the ICW and coastal hop north. There are several good inlets on the route: Saint Johns River, Saint Marys River, Saint Simons, Savannah, Port Royal.

Food for thought, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 04:46   #3
mpk

Thanks Woody.

We're almost required to have a captain for ins. reasons- plus our experience is limited. I know it will give us a chance to perk up the skills. I was reading about your trip down the coast - great info. Now I have to remember where the post is for the "captain" to read it...
Old 24-06-2004, 05:42   #4

Good luck to you. If you drop into the Saint Marys river at Fernandina Beach, Look me up in the book under Mike Woodward and I'll be happy to lend a hand in getting to the store, laundry, or just drinking a cold one.

Woody
Old 25-06-2004, 11:38   #5

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
We just had a wonderful couple bring us our St. Francis 44, they are both captains and do deliveries for a living and have extensive catamaran experience.
Give them a shout and see if they are available and what the rate would be. Good luck and have fun!

http://www.yacht-delivery-team.com
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 15:45   #6

cat captain

Hi,I would be happy tp supply you with a captain .Some are even bluewater teachers and most of us are cat sailors.
You may email me at: cryachting@yahoo.com
lt4supr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 12:40   #7

So, mpk. How did the trip go?

Woody
Old 09-09-2004, 19:08   #8
mpk

Finally!

Hello to all. We finally got our internet systems together and it's great to be back and look at posts as an actual liveaboard. We feel as if we are truly at home now. The trip from Lauderdale was great- offshore 3 nights. Pretty quick trip, though. We are feeling for everyone in Florida. Woody- we stopped in Fernandina and searched for you! No luck but we were on a super tight schedule - maybe on the way back down- we should be heading there mid Nov on the way to the Bahamas. Pretty tuckered tonight- finally a good night sleep after the 3 day drill of the remnants of Frances.
Good luck to all!

MP
s/v Wind Cries Mary
Old 10-09-2004, 07:35   #9

Sorry I missed you. My boat is not at the city marina where you probably stopped. We are a couple of miles south at another marina. But, we are in the phone book. If you stop in again drop me an email ahead of time and give me a call.

Congratulations on getting moved aboard. Lets hope Ivan brings less damage than Frances. My boat was fine with some extra lines and attention. We had a 50 knot maximum gust.

Our house is at the beach and we had gusts over 60 knots. There were several trees down and many lost roof shingles and even a couple of roof structures damaged. We have a fair amount of damage to a wood fence, but that was about it.

Woody

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380