Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 00:26   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
L400 owners, questions

Howdy,

Admiral and I are still tossing up our purchase. It has come down to L400S2, L42, or maybe even L450S (SporTop). Wildly varying prices on these obviously.

There are many passionate lagoon owners here. I've got some questions for those who drive Lagoon 400's around as full time live-aboards. If anyone is willing to have a more detailed offline chat, please PM me !.

Questions.

1. Is there anywhere you wouldn't take your Lagoon 400 ? For example, some people say to got to higher lattitudes you 'must have a 44' +' or other stuff. I'm not referring about going into ICE or stupidity, just sailing up to say Svalbard. (Note: discussing the boat itself here, not the capabilities of crew, training, or equipment, unless it is about the boat being unable to carry it)

2. If you were to buy again today, would you still be a L400, or would you go L39, new L42 or something else ?

3. When purchasing (new), anything to specifically choose, or not choose ?

PS: I have same set of questions for 450 owners, especially if anyone here owns a 450 SporTop.

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 00:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: L400 owners, questions

You might find this group useful

Lagoon Owners Forum

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:06   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You might find this group useful

Lagoon Owners Forum

- That link didn't work. (unknown forum) - Hidden one ?
- I posted this into the Lagoon Catamarans Forum on this site.

I've read just about every post possible on the web on L400, L42's and L450s'. and am on the Yahoo Lagoon group.

Just looking for some direct discussion with actuall owners.

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

yes. it reverts to CF and it is not a cf forum/

cruisersforum.com and the lagoon owners forum
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:26   #5

Hi Catapault,
We are a full time live aboard couple on a L400 Owners Version. We do get off for a month or so each year, for a "land holiday". We regularly have an extra 2 to 4 guests, usually only for 10 days or less. When in home port we stay at our marina berth, but when cruising, less than 1 day per month is spent at marinas.

To be specific:
1. This boat will go anywhere that most cruisers are likely to wish to go. It is not the limiting factor; crew endurance, capabilities and competance is far more important. The highest latitude I've travelled is nearly 40 degrees S ( Bass Strait) however this was mid-winter. Stupid, I know! Our vessel does not have a diesel heater and we found the experience very uncomfortable and not really enjoyable. Being tropical people, I'm sure that if we hardened up a bit and also fitted a good heater, things could be more tolerable. We found the aft cockpit clears enclosure and the helm clears a Godsend in bitterly cold weather. An exposed helm would have been horrible, especially as manual helming is most necessary when the weather is worst.d

2. Probably would buy another L400. Definitey not a L39 as they are heavier, smaller, slower and more expensive. Haven't even seen a new L42 but couldn't afford one. Not such a Lagoon fan that I wouldn't prefer (good boat at the right price ) a Leopard 46, or a FP Orana or Helia, Grainger 43 or Perry 43 etc.
Not many 40 footers in the same price bracket will provide the same space, comfort and carry what we choose to carry and still sail OK. That's the bottom line.

3. Fit out and accessories are very personal. We only wanted 2 heads and no airconditioning. No regrets yet, although we havent extensively cruised equatorial waters in summer. We also have way more refrigeration than most cruisers because I like to take my spearfishing mates out to good country; good food, cold beer and space for dead fish is important. We have 1150 watts of solar and a back up diesel genset to supply the amps. Many cruisers are happy with a portable petrol generator, as I said, very personal. With heavy cruising cats such as Lagoons, the working sails are comparitively small. This is more so in later models. In order to get satisfactory performance extra light weather sails are highly recommended. Make sure the boat is equiped with the fittings for these. We carry a furling gennaker and a large symmetrical spinnaker. In over 15 to 20 knots the L400's square top main and genoa provide adequate performance for cruising.

When it comes to internal fit out options, make sure you listen intently to your partner.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 14:40   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Catapault
We own a L400 owners 3 cabin 2 head layout. we are full time cruisers family of 4, we have owned it 5 years now done just over 6000 miles so far on the East coast of Australia, we are currently preparing the vessel for more extended cruising eventually international waters once the crew are up to the task.
Tuskie has some very valid points.
To answer your questions from another owner of a L400
1. We will probably stick in the areas between 40 south and 40 north I am comfortable the boat will handle that. Of course we will be vigilant with the weather routing and patient to wait for the right weather windows etc.
2. I would probably choose the L400 again as it makes sense for us and what we intend to do. If budget was not an option certainly I would look at the L42 and the L450 sport, in fact we hopefully will see them soon when they arrive for the Sydney boat show. I may have a different answer after that.
3. As what to choose when ordering new depends a lot on what you intend to use the boat for and what climate you will be operating in also your capabilities and how much time you have on your hands to fit the extras you may require.
We brought a stock vessel it had most of what we would have chosen and some extras. We have however fitted a lot and it has taken time and effort to fit, so I guess if budget is not an issue and your time is precious have it fitted by the factory and then you just spend your time using the boat.
Good luck with your decision
Old 04-07-2016, 19:49   #7

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

YouTube has a boat tour on the 400S2
"Off the Starboard Hull"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 00:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Hi Catapault,
We are a full time live aboard couple on a L400 Owners Version. We do get off for a month or so each year, for a "land holiday". We regularly have an extra 2 to 4 guests, usually only for 10 days or less. When in home port we stay at our marina berth, but when cruising, less than 1 day per month is spent at marinas.

To be specific:
1. This boat will go anywhere that most cruisers are likely to wish to go. It is not the limiting factor; crew endurance, capabilities and competance is far more important. The highest latitude I've travelled is nearly 40 degrees S ( Bass Strait) however this was mid-winter. Stupid, I know! Our vessel does not have a diesel heater and we found the experience very uncomfortable and not really enjoyable. Being tropical people, I'm sure that if we hardened up a bit and also fitted a good heater, things could be more tolerable. We found the aft cockpit clears enclosure and the helm clears a Godsend in bitterly cold weather. An exposed helm would have been horrible, especially as manual helming is most necessary when the weather is worst.d

2. Probably would buy another L400. Definitey not a L39 as they are heavier, smaller, slower and more expensive. Haven't even seen a new L42 but couldn't afford one. Not such a Lagoon fan that I wouldn't prefer (good boat at the right price ) a Leopard 46, or a FP Orana or Helia, Grainger 43 or Perry 43 etc.
Not many 40 footers in the same price bracket will provide the same space, comfort and carry what we choose to carry and still sail OK. That's the bottom line.

3. Fit out and accessories are very personal. We only wanted 2 heads and no airconditioning. No regrets yet, although we havent extensively cruised equatorial waters in summer. We also have way more refrigeration than most cruisers because I like to take my spearfishing mates out to good country; good food, cold beer and space for dead fish is important. We have 1150 watts of solar and a back up diesel genset to supply the amps. Many cruisers are happy with a portable petrol generator, as I said, very personal. With heavy cruising cats such as Lagoons, the working sails are comparitively small. This is more so in later models. In order to get satisfactory performance extra light weather sails are highly recommended. Make sure the boat is equiped with the fittings for these. We carry a furling gennaker and a large symmetrical spinnaker. In over 15 to 20 knots the L400's square top main and genoa provide adequate performance for cruising.

When it comes to internal fit out options, make sure you listen intently to your partner.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
hi,
I am looking for the technical info of the crossbeam on a lagoon 400s2/2014.
I have to change it, and looking for a used spare one, or a decent rig manufacturer- not the well renowned selden, sparcraft&company. Perhaps some chinese manufacturer you d heard of?
thank you,
Flo
florentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 00:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
YouTube has a boat tour on the 400S2
"Off the Starboard Hull"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
hi,
I am looking for the technical info of the crossbeam on a lagoon 400s2/2014.
I have to change it, and looking for a used spare one, or a decent rig manufacturer- not the well renowned selden, sparcraft&company. Perhaps some chinese manufacturer you d heard of?
thank you,
Flo
Old 06-02-2018, 03:01   #10

Hi Flo, the forebeam is a very important part of the rig. I would be extremely reluctant to replace with anything other than first quality and guaranteed reliable components. Get it wrong and the mast will come down.

Like all rigging, the forebeam and it's support rig has a limited lifespan and needs checking and eventual replacement. Beware of used components.

BTW, there have been examples where "improvements" or "modifications" to the forebeam have also caused dismasting of Lagoon catamarans. The usual case is replacement of the shock cord supporting the prodder from the seagull striker with something "better".
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 13:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Hi Flo, the forebeam is a very important part of the rig. I would be extremely reluctant to replace with anything other than first quality and guaranteed reliable components. Get it wrong and the mast will come down.

Like all rigging, the forebeam and it's support rig has a limited lifespan and needs checking and eventual replacement. Beware of used components.

BTW, there have been examples where "improvements" or "modifications" to the forebeam have also caused dismasting of Lagoon catamarans. The usual case is replacement of the shock cord supporting the prodder from the seagull striker with something "better".
thanks,
I know you re right
would you have some kind of service manual for the lagoon 400s2 (electric wire diagram, etc), not the user s manual?
I ve heard there is such a manual but I don t know where to find it

best regards,

Flo
Old 06-02-2018, 22:13   #12

Try these guys directly - shipping is the issue. But you don’t know until you ask....

http://www.z-spars.com/poutres-avant-en.html
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote