Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 19:51   #646

Boat: 450S
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Do you need to cool all cabins? Perhaps owners cabin and saloon, place one unit under owner bed the other in saloon? Cooling all cabins with 20kBtu is spreading it very thin I think. Another option in saloon for economy is to use a portable domestic unit. A 12kBtu unit will sìt on the shelf behind the galley and you can duct the hot air out through the galley window hatch. A 12kBtu draws about 1300w. We use one of these at the height of summer in the owners cabin to boost cooling.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 23:23   #647

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I have 4 A/C factory installed, but would probably use only the one in the master bed room if sleeping gets difficult because of the heat. Anything else will be done by ventilation only.
Old 18-06-2018, 10:24   #648

Hi Dave,

Sorry to get back in topic so much. Would it be possible for you to get a few more pictures and details on where exactly you got your Victron Quattro installed ?

Compared to having it in the engine compartment or in the cabin near the battery, it seems the best location... but not sure where and how it was done.

Thanks a lot in advance!
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:17   #649

Boat: Lagoon 450
Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

Hi c-reel,
I recently had a 5KW Quatttro installed by Dave and Dylan who also installed the Quattro for Dave. We have a Lagoon 450 Flybridge and were unable to find space under the stairs where Dave's Quattro was installed. In the end, the best place was in the Starboard engine bay. I'll try to take some photos of the installation tomorrow.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:47   #650

Re: the Quattro I just discussed this over the weekend with a Marine Electrician in Auckland. One of the issues to be clear about when positioning the inverter is keeping it cool. The Quattro output is rated at 25C, any increase above this reduces output. As a result Im installing my inverter where Dave has his under the helm, where there is space on the S. No idea if your boat is a 450F.
Old 18-06-2018, 23:49   #651

I fitted it under the port aft berth above the A/C unit. It will be rarely / not used (guest cabin), I inserted a plywood deck inbetween but left the sides open for ventillation. I put it as close as possible to the batteries (thick wires, double for plus and minus)
Old 18-06-2018, 23:51   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I fitted it under the port aft berth above the A/C unit. It will be rarely / not used (guest cabin), I inserted a plywood deck inbetween but left the sides open for ventillation. I put it as close as possible to the batteries (thick wires, double for plus and minus)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1529390988884.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	172052
Old 19-06-2018, 02:55   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
What about electrical noise or "hummm"? Noticeable?
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:12   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
What about electrical noise or "hummm"? Noticeable?
usually it is quiet, but if you run on full load, the ventillators kick in and you hear the noise in the cabin, I have not tested yet with the matress, how it would muffle the noise, I am still running some wires there. I have the feeling, the compressor of the freezer is much louder.

You dont hear the inverter in the salon, and the owners hull is absolutely quiet.

When under way, I will probably turn it on by the remote switch only if 220V are needed, you save 80Ah/day if you not run it all the time. So noise is not a major issue - except you plan to run the A/C during the night, but then you have anyway noise from the A/C.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:24   #655

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Hi c-reel,
I recently had a 5KW Quatttro installed by Dave and Dylan who also installed the Quattro for Dave. We have a Lagoon 450 Flybridge and were unable to find space under the stairs where Dave's Quattro was installed. In the end, the best place was in the Starboard engine bay. I'll try to take some photos of the installation tomorrow.
450-Fly - Owners Version.

Our Quattro was installed under the StbdAft Bunk, next to the Air-Con.
They did a little remodelling, and put in a reinforced wall to put it on, plus created some extra ventilation holes.

Both Solar Controllers went in there as well, but they are above the batteries.

No hum noticeable, and I sleep right over it. I've checked it for heat and it seems fine.

I was advised by Victron to NOT put it in the Engine Bay, as that certainly gets much much hotter than the interior of the boat. Same for the Solar controllers.

That, and the shorter run to the batteries, the better. Mine is 1.6m cable length away from the terminals.

I might fit an extra DC exhaust fan sometime.

Will take some pics when next under there.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 02:53   #656

This is the location under the helm steps on the 450S. You access it via the stb cockpit locker, yes those are the 450F steps you can see under there...

(davedindubai's photos)Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1503061976914.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	172116Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1503061982752.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	172117
Old 20-06-2018, 03:07   #657

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Sorry for the lack of input guys... there’s been quite a lot going on of late...
Thanks for covering for me PW!
Yep, that’s our install location, you’ll need a small and or bendy electrician but once he’s in there, it’s not too bad. You’ll obviously have to cut out a bigger access panel as seen in the pics.

I think the F may even have an AC unit in the same place. It’s also very close to the batteries so a short run for the cables too.
Old 21-06-2018, 03:24   #658

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Sorry for the lack of input guys... there’s been quite a lot going on of late...
Thanks for covering for me PW!
Yep, that’s our install location, you’ll need a small and or bendy electrician but once he’s in there, it’s not too bad. You’ll obviously have to cut out a bigger access panel as seen in the pics.

I think the F may even have an AC unit in the same place. It’s also very close to the batteries so a short run for the cables too.
One comment on that Install. What size wire did they use between the Quattro and the Batteries ?

From the photo, it only looks like there is only ONE each of Positive and Negative wires on the DC side and looks to be 90mm2 wire.

However the Installation manual for the 5KW Quattro specifies TWO x 90mm2 cables for each side. (2x Positive, and 2x Negative) for runs 0-5m.
(And it must be <5m from the Battery, as it dosn't specify size for 5-10m)

Its not obvious in the manual, as its a sub-note under the table in section 4 "Installation' . that "2x means two positive and two negative cables".

Might be worth having that checked. This is not the place to be undersized...

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:14   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
One comment on that Install. What size wire did they use between the Quattro and the Batteries ?

From the photo, it only looks like there is only ONE each of Positive and Negative wires on the DC side and looks to be 90mm2 wire.

However the Installation manual for the 5KW Quattro specifies TWO x 90mm2 cables for each side. (2x Positive, and 2x Negative) for runs 0-5m.
(And it must be <5m from the Battery, as it dosn't specify size for 5-10m)

Its not obvious in the manual, as its a sub-note under the table in section 4 "Installation' . that "2x means two positive and two negative cables".

Might be worth having that checked. This is not the place to be undersized...

Regards

Mark.
yes, thats true, I use 2x 90mm^2 for positive and same for negative.
Old 21-06-2018, 11:16   #660

... otherwise cable gets warm on high load and too much voltage drop.