Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 20:58   #31

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Thanks for sharing. Great photos! I bet Asia is amazing to explore and we can't wait.
Old 10-12-2016, 21:06   #32

Yes it is a great place for me to learn! I have made my share of mistakes! Thailand and Malaysian charts are very good and the weather is mild! Although we are happy to see the rainy season somewhat behind us. We are considering Maldives end of January. Depending on our warranty issues. We have had issues with our sliding window and the Helm top. Along with a few others. That is a positive with the 450L it is proven. But we love our Helm and the S style.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 22:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Yes it is a great place for me to learn! I have made my share of mistakes! Thailand and Malaysian charts are very good and the weather is mild! Although we are happy to see the rainy season somewhat behind us. We are considering Maldives end of January. Depending on our warranty issues. We have had issues with our sliding window and the Helm top. Along with a few others. That is a positive with the 450L it is proven. But we love our Helm and the S style.

Would you mind posting some details on the warranty issues so us newbies can be better prepared?

How long would you say it has taken to iron out any of your snags? I'm hoping we can spend about 5 months living aboard in the Med next year where there's good Lagoon support to get our 'inevitable' issues sorted. We will also be learning and we are both expecting a steep learning curve. [emoji51]
Old 11-12-2016, 04:55   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sbonder.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:15   #35

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
That's the SS cockpit drawer fridge at 1550euro and why I posted that pic. Yes, they drop a 'S' mould on top of the 'F'. I thought it's good to make the best possible use of that void and if the cockpit fridge occupies the whole space then it's worth it.

I agree, I want the cockpit cupboard to store cleaning stuff.

Could you post a link to the fb page. All I find are the furry type of cat if I look for Proud Cat.
Hi Dave , why not ask if some access hatches can be put in the old walkway it would make a bit of useable storage space for cleaning gear Its a fairly large area all up probably around 1 m3 and it is fairly easily accessible and should be dry
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:31   #36

Boat: Hanse 348

Having just put on solar myself on a new boat, I would say that you should chose to have the factory install it. I am pretty good on electrical , but I had to find someone who could make the frame out of aluminum for me. And I mostly had to design it, I based it on someone at the marina who had the Lagoon factory option (actually on a 450).

The only good thing I got out of it was that I put on 580 watts in the same space lagoon offers 360. Though that might have changed in the 18 months since I got my boat.

I didn't have the option to get solar, I purchased a 'show boat', it came the way it came. But if you are having it built, I would think getting the generator and solar installed from Lagoon will save you a big hassle. You will want charging options immediately.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 19:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Dave , why not ask if some access hatches can be put in the old walkway it would make a bit of useable storage space for cleaning gear Its a fairly large area all up probably around 1 m3 and it is fairly easily accessible and should be dry

That's a good idea, I'll look into making that space storage and then see if I can fit a larger fridge where the cabinet to the left of the steps is.
Old 12-12-2016, 20:00   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Having just put on solar myself on a new boat, I would say that you should chose to have the factory install it. I am pretty good on electrical , but I had to find someone who could make the frame out of aluminum for me. And I mostly had to design it, I based it on someone at the marina who had the Lagoon factory option (actually on a 450).

The only good thing I got out of it was that I put on 580 watts in the same space lagoon offers 360. Though that might have changed in the 18 months since I got my boat.

I didn't have the option to get solar, I purchased a 'show boat', it came the way it came. But if you are having it built, I would think getting the generator and solar installed from Lagoon will save you a big hassle. You will want charging options immediately.

As standard, Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's. All flexible and all on the roof without the frame.
Old 14-12-2016, 09:53   #39

Can I ask peoples opinions on a couple of topics:

1. choice of downwind sails (spinnaker gear or code 0 rig) (gennaker or wingaker)
What do I need to get factory installed, if anything?

2. Cockpit canvas (do we need any?)
We've got the fixed Bimini with protection but do we need more?
Old 14-12-2016, 11:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
As standard, Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's. All flexible and all on the roof without the frame.
You might want to do some more homework on using flexible solar panels mounted directly to a gel coat surface. These panels might be ok in northern latitudes but we have had bad experiences with them in the tropics. If they are mounted in such a way that air can flow between the panel and the fiberglass surface you may be fine but I would avoid mounting them directly. I do see it done but wait until those panels have been on the boat a few years and the look underneath them and you'll see the gel coat has been cooked. On our boat the previous owner installed them and I removed them and found I could use my finger nail and flick off the nonskid finish which had turned brown from being cooked. It cost me a lot of money to have the decks refinished so really check into this before you go ahead. We have a cat beside us that actually burned a hole into the solid Bimini and he got rid of the flexible panels and installed glass panels raised a few inches above to allow air to flow, excess heat also reduces the power you get from the panels.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 11:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You might want to do some more homework on using flexible solar panels mounted directly to a gel coat surface. These panels might be ok in northern latitudes but we have had bad experiences with them in the tropics. If they are mounted in such a way that air can flow between the panel and the fiberglass surface you may be fine but I would avoid mounting them directly. I do see it done but wait until those panels have been on the boat a few years and the look underneath them and you'll see the gel coat has been cooked. On our boat the previous owner installed them and I removed them and found I could use my finger nail and flick off the nonskid finish which had turned brown from being cooked. It cost me a lot of money to have the decks refinished so really check into this before you go ahead. We have a cat beside us that actually burned a hole into the solid Bimini and he got rid of the flexible panels and installed glass panels raised a few inches above to allow air to flow, excess heat also reduces the power you get from the panels.

Wow. Very interesting and the first time I've heard about this so thank you so much. More research needed indeed!
Old 14-12-2016, 11:59   #42

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran

Hi Daveindubai. Check out the thread in Lagoon forum a bit further down the page on Code 0 and in particular how you can skip the spinnaker, genaker and code 0 and get a Wingaker. Buy from them directly and get training and a fantastic sail at a fraction of the cost of a factory bought sail. We haven't bought ours yet but will be in the new year after the European winter. We've tested the Wingaker and are convinced it's the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post

2) Disconnect the Lagoon installed bilge alarm and install a high water alarm and connect the bilge alarm to it. Otherwise when you run you A/C the discharged water will set off the installed alarm every 20 minutes and it will drive you crazy. The A/C water drains into the bilge.
Installing a shower sump might be easier and cleaner. If there is a shower sump for any of the showers, there should be additional inlets for an A/C condensation drain hose.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Installing a shower sump might be easier and cleaner. If there is a shower sump for any of the showers, there should be additional inlets for an A/C condensation drain hose.
Lagoons use a switch operated timed relay to drain shower, so not an option for A/C condensate.

Quote: "Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's."

I would strongly suggest you look at more watts. Unless you are connected to shore power most of the time. Power is like good wine and money there is no so such thing as to much.

I have never met anybody complaining that there batteries recharge to quickly after a heavy nights usage. The opposite you here all the time. I find 2 kW is good but 3kW would be better. The ideal situation is when you do not have to think about battery usage, you just use it to do what needs to be done and enjoy living.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 16:26   #45

Boat: Lagoon 450

We opted for the Code 0. It's not meant to be a downwind sail although it will work as one. In hindsight, I would have purchased a parasailor for downwind cat sailing.

Depends where you are sailing. We took delivery in Les Sables d'Olonne in October '15 and we were glad to have enclosures around the aft salon. We have been in the tropics for the last year now and they haven't seen daylight since storing them away.

We have A/C and the admiral uses it more than I would prefer, but hey, it keeps her happy. We went with the 13.5kw genset. You don't want to be caught short or have to worry about it.

We have underwater lights. Nice novelty that attracts fish and keeps the admiral entertained.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote