Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 21:04   #676

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
That is the type of delivery skipper you want

You’re not wrong... he’s awesome!
Old 05-08-2018, 18:59   #677

SD 60 issues noted here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ue-186161.html
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 23:24   #678

Thanks BC. I wonder if this will be covered under warranty. It seems some are and some aren’t.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:44   #679
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. I am the delivery skipper for Dave's Lagoon 450S.. Florida to Portugal.
When we arrived here in Horta yesterday and I went to the fuel dock (came in on fumes).. when I put the starboard engine into reverse nothing happened.. most disconcerting as there were boats in front and one behind with its stern sticking out past the dock and it was tight.
Decided to anchor as the assigned berth was another tight spot.. thought it may be something binding the prop so dived on it and had a look.. no line snagged and it opens and folds no problem.
Next I opened the engine bay and got my crew to operate the fwd-reverse with engine off.. the lever moved as it should.. next I started the engine and she put it in reverse.. it tried but kept slipping in and out.. you could hear it.
Now it operated fine in Florida leaving the marina and we've put 140+hrs on each engine during the crossing.. its works fine in forwards just will not lock into reverse.. oil levels good.. no strange noises from the transmission except when one tries reverse..
Any ideas you Lagoon/saildrive boat owners.. both Dave and myself would appreciate a diagnosis..

PS: Asked the marina engineer to take a look but he'll not go onto the water.. boats must be alongside..
before suspecting the clutch cones.

check the adjustment of the morse control cable to the gear lever arm on the gearbox,it may be that the terminal at the gear box end of the cable was never properly adjusted for it to fully engage reverse.

it might need the split pin removing and locknut loosening then a few turns of the terminal end at the end of the morse cable where it attaches to the gear leaver on the gearbox .

you can also check function by hand of fwd and rev with the cable terminal end disconnected and engine running in idle,if it still slips then it is the cones.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:30   #680

Boat: 450S

Yanmar service bulletin gives some advise on adjusting the shift cable which might help.

YATB2015-010-M SD60
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:58   #681
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
Yanmar service bulletin gives some advise on adjusting the shift cable which might help.

YATB2015-010-M SD60
nice photos for the less mechanical!
this shows exactly what i was referring to in my previous post
thanks for posting the link

http://dealer.yanmar.com.au/bulletin...hift_delay.pdf
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 03:20   #682

Hi all,

So Boatman61 has arrived safely in Gibraltar. An epic job done by Phil and his wife, THANK YOU guys.

The Yanmar dealer in Gib has been onboard and done a temporary fix to get the stbd sail drive to stay in gear, I’m not there but I think the issue is indeed cables and not gear box which is a major result. He’s going to fix it properly next week so I will update when I have full details.

Also while the boat is in Gib our electricians are going to add the 2nd cable to the inverter as per earlier posts. Maybe we will even get the bane of my life, the Victron battery monitor working!
Old 28-08-2018, 04:12   #683

Dave, I noticed on a Daley Adventure YouTube video you had a great graphic applied at the helm which showed the various sail reefing configurations for increasing wind speeds. Started to make something myself but then got lazy and thought I would ask if you would post the version you used.
SANSTLMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 13:39   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSTLMCO View Post
Dave, I noticed on a Daley Adventure YouTube video you had a great graphic applied at the helm which showed the various sail reefing configurations for increasing wind speeds. Started to make something myself but then got lazy and thought I would ask if you would post the version you used.

I’ll see what I can do. I’m just offshore with very slow internet but I’ll try
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15   #685

Boat: Lagoon 450

Does anybody know what colour Sunbrella Lagoon in using on the newer boats in regards the Black/Charchoal colour?. Im redoing all our canvas on our 450F and want to keep it current.
PhilipSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33   #686

Boat: L 450

Sunbrella Plus graphite
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55   #687

Hi All,

for some strange reason this thread became locked and I couldn't post but the mods have kindly fixed the issue.

Some of you have asked about our reefing chart so I've attached it for anyone who wants it. We made an A3 size sticker out of ours and it's very handy to be able to reference by whomever is at the helm.

The wind speeds are all from the Lagoon manual but I made a few of them more conservative to aid simplicity.

Hope it helps,

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HAYLEY DAVES SAIL CHART.PDF (358.2 KB, 186 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:57   #688

UPDATE on our sail drive issue.

On the crossing from Miami to Gibraltar our stbd gear cable failed meaning the stbd sail drive wouldn't stay in reverse, luckily it would stay in fwd.

The Yanmar mechanic in Gibraltar has replaced it with a much better cable (he says Lagoon use very poor cables which is not a surprise to me to be fair).

The length of the starbaord cable is 32' 00". Note: we have the Spor Top which may be different to the Fly Bridge length.

I'm trying to find out the length of the port side cable so I can source a replacement and then replace at my leisure over the winter.

Anyone know this?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
One comment on that Install. What size wire did they use between the Quattro and the Batteries ?

From the photo, it only looks like there is only ONE each of Positive and Negative wires on the DC side and looks to be 90mm2 wire.

However the Installation manual for the 5KW Quattro specifies TWO x 90mm2 cables for each side. (2x Positive, and 2x Negative) for runs 0-5m.
(And it must be <5m from the Battery, as it dosn't specify size for 5-10m)

Its not obvious in the manual, as its a sub-note under the table in section 4 "Installation' . that "2x means two positive and two negative cables".

Might be worth having that checked. This is not the place to be undersized...

Regards

Mark.
Yesterday our amazing electricians in Gibraltar completed the alterations with no quibles. I can't recommend Dave and Dylan from Electrical Marine Services enough. Since our full victron and solar install back in July last year they've been fantastic. If you're passing thru Gib, give them a shout or better yet, don't give your money to Robin Marine who are only interested in commissioning as many boats as possible, get Dave and Dylan to do your install.

Dylan: dbalfour.ems@gmail.com
Old 19-09-2018, 11:58   #690

Hi Dave.

I have put in a deposit on a 450s

I opted for the 4 cabin version (I have 3 kids and expect family to visit, hence the 4 cabins). I wanted your opinion on a couple of things. Your thread is super educational...really fantastic info. Like you, I have no clue about electricity and I was concerned with some of the choices I am making.

1- My broker sourcing an 8KVA Paguro generator instead of the 11KVA Lagoon one for 22000 euros... your opinion?
2- The Inverter Lagoon is providing is a 12/220v 2000VA. 2388Euros... should I ask my broker to get me a better one?
3- Did you install a water maker? Lagoon have the 100L/Hr water maker... is that any good?
4- Why did you choose the comfort package? I didnt.. is it worth it?
5- I see that you were adding and removing options even after you paid your deposit... I am assuming I can do that until a certain point ... hows your experience there.
6- My delivery is June 20 2019 in Sables D'Ologne... I will take it down to the Med from there... My broker is sourcing a person who knows how to sail for a period of 1 month... did you do that? did you have any sailing experience before buying the boat?
7- What would you have added in terms of options or removed now that you have had the boat for a while?

I have a million other questions ... so glad I found you!
aelyafi is offline   Reply With Quote