Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 07:35   #661

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Cheers Mark and CNB,

I’d say you’re right and I’ve passed this onto the electrician. I’ll update once it’s sorted.
Old 23-06-2018, 18:48   #662

I think you can run a 220v 60hz on 220v 50hz but not vice versa. If you want to try the battery inverter route my plan was one unit in the master under the bed with a heavy curtain separating the bed from the rest of the cabin to reduce the load on the aircon unit. It won’t run continuously especially at night. On start up it will run and quickly cool the air but cooling the furniture etc aka heat sink takes longer. On my old boat in Singapore air temp was down to 20c in 20 minutes but the furniture etc took about 90 minutes. I don’t know if a smaller btu unit will save Amps because they cycle on and off as needed but you may risk not having enough capacity in the tropics.

A big unit in the saloon should flow cold air down to the other two cabins as the warm air in those cabins rises into the saloon. Fans would help.

Congrats on the baby. I’m out of Venezuela and in Houston with a 7 month pregnant wife and didn’t buy the planned 450S because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Nope, I’m keeping everything 220v/50hz so it will run off my inverter
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 02:52   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
One comment on that Install. What size wire did they use between the Quattro and the Batteries ?

From the photo, it only looks like there is only ONE each of Positive and Negative wires on the DC side and looks to be 90mm2 wire.

However the Installation manual for the 5KW Quattro specifies TWO x 90mm2 cables for each side. (2x Positive, and 2x Negative) for runs 0-5m.
(And it must be <5m from the Battery, as it dosn't specify size for 5-10m)

Its not obvious in the manual, as its a sub-note under the table in section 4 "Installation' . that "2x means two positive and two negative cables".

Might be worth having that checked. This is not the place to be undersized...

Regards

Mark.

UPDATE:
I forwarded this to my electricians and they agree. They’ve no quibbles and are going to put it right when I pass Gibraltar.
Old 28-06-2018, 02:58   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
I think you can run a 220v 60hz on 220v 50hz but not vice versa. If you want to try the battery inverter route my plan was one unit in the master under the bed with a heavy curtain separating the bed from the rest of the cabin to reduce the load on the aircon unit. It won’t run continuously especially at night. On start up it will run and quickly cool the air but cooling the furniture etc aka heat sink takes longer. On my old boat in Singapore air temp was down to 20c in 20 minutes but the furniture etc took about 90 minutes. I don’t know if a smaller btu unit will save Amps because they cycle on and off as needed but you may risk not having enough capacity in the tropics.

A big unit in the saloon should flow cold air down to the other two cabins as the warm air in those cabins rises into the saloon. Fans would help.

Congrats on the baby. I’m out of Venezuela and in Houston with a 7 month pregnant wife and didn’t buy the planned 450S because of this.

Congrats yourself John, it seems we are about the same stage. You cancelled the 450.... Noooo! That’s a shame but I do understand, life has been very hectic lately, juggling a pregnancy, living in a foreign country, maintaining the boat, planning an ocean crossing, AC install, travel, work, YouTube, my job and on top of everything else, Hayley is starting a new business. So life has been even crazier for us than it usually is but we love it.
Old 28-06-2018, 03:14   #665

AC update:
Despite my best intentions to do the AC install myself I had a reality check and it’s just not feasible with the amount of spare time i get.

I took loads of advice from professionals in Fort Lauderdale regarding the size units, placement of units, running off batteries etc and I’ve settled on this system:

Saloon. 17k btu unit under the corner part of the sofa with 2 outlets, 1 either side of the mast.
Master cabin. 7,200btu under the bed, aft of the batteries with 1 outlet on the port side of the bed.
Port aft cabin. 4,200btu under the bed, aft of the batteries with 1 outlet on the stbd side of the bed.
Port fwd cabin. 4,200btu under the bed, there’s an ideal box, port side for the unit to fit in.

All the units run off both 50hz and 60hz and draw low enough amps for me to run our 7,200btu unit off the Quattro for a good few hours.
So the electrician is going to wire the master cabin unit off the output 1 on the Quattro with the rest of our loads and the other 3 units will be on output 2 and require mains voltage in.

Unfortunately I’m not even going to be there to supervise the install which I hope won’t bite me in the arse but that’s life and sometimes you just have to trust in who you’ve chosen to do the job...

Pics to follow.
Old 28-06-2018, 03:27   #666
bez

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Sorry to get off the thread a bit here. We're now only a few weeks away from picking our 450F up. Thinking about folding e-bikes now. Does anybody have experience or insight on where to stow them and what maximum sizes? We got the dimensions of the forward deck hatches, but they seem too small to get the things through.
Any advice would be appreciated.
bez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 04:40   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by bez View Post
Sorry to get off the thread a bit here. We're now only a few weeks away from picking our 450F up. Thinking about folding e-bikes now. Does anybody have experience or insight on where to stow them and what maximum sizes? We got the dimensions of the forward deck hatches, but they seem too small to get the things through.
Any advice would be appreciated.

We’ve got 2 of the Decathlon folding bikes with 5 gears. 1 in each engine bay. They won’t fit anywhere else. Great little bikes, we often take them ashore in the dinghy too, I’m not sure how easy that would be with the heavier e bikes
Old 28-06-2018, 15:20   #668

We have 8 gear folding bikes with 20" wheels (Dahon) they just fit in the forward hatches with a bit of jiggling, but we now keep them in the engine rooms behind the sail drives. We enclose them in garbage bags and tie them down to stop them knocking against the engine controls.

I was thinking of converting them to E bikes, but maybe next year.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:47   #669
bez

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
We have 8 gear folding bikes with 20" wheels (Dahon) they just fit in the forward hatches with a bit of jiggling, but we now keep them in the engine rooms behind the sail drives. We enclose them in garbage bags and tie them down to stop them knocking against the engine controls.

I was thinking of converting them to E bikes, but maybe next year.
Thanks guys,
Would anyone dare to venture a guess about the dimensions of the space available in the engine bays? The bikes we are looking at fold into packets of 920x400x800 mm.
Thanks.
bez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 18:35   #670

next AC update:

AC install complete and I must say, this has been my easiest boat project yet... I wasn't even there! I do feel bad but at the mo it's all about allocating my time the best I can and what can I say but the seabed pays better than working for myself fitting air con.

The system is as stated above but I have some specs that may be of interest:
Amp draw per unit:
Salon: 5.2a
Owners cabin: 3.3a
Port aft: 2.2a
Port fwd: 2.2a

With all the units running and both pumps (there's one in each hull) the system draws 12.9a which is a success I think. The owners cabin can run on inverter and the other 3 units all require a 220v source. This way, a quest that may not be 'battery conscious' can't run the batteries flat by leaving the AC on all day.

I've not seen the install myself yet but what I have seen in pics looks good. I'll fully update once I'm back on the boat.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:52   #671
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

So.. I am the delivery skipper for Dave's Lagoon 450S.. Florida to Portugal.
When we arrived here in Horta yesterday and I went to the fuel dock (came in on fumes).. when I put the starboard engine into reverse nothing happened.. most disconcerting as there were boats in front and one behind with its stern sticking out past the dock and it was tight.
Decided to anchor as the assigned berth was another tight spot.. thought it may be something binding the prop so dived on it and had a look.. no line snagged and it opens and folds no problem.
Next I opened the engine bay and got my crew to operate the fwd-reverse with engine off.. the lever moved as it should.. next I started the engine and she put it in reverse.. it tried but kept slipping in and out.. you could hear it.
Now it operated fine in Florida leaving the marina and we've put 140+hrs on each engine during the crossing.. its works fine in forwards just will not lock into reverse.. oil levels good.. no strange noises from the transmission except when one tries reverse..
Any ideas you Lagoon/saildrive boat owners.. both Dave and myself would appreciate a diagnosis..

PS: Asked the marina engineer to take a look but he'll not go onto the water.. boats must be alongside..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:27   #672

Boat: Lagoon 450

What sail-drives are on this boat? If they are SD50's then more than likely you are experiencing clutch cone slippage. This is a maint item and there is a short term and a long term solution to this problem. See attached video for short term solution.
skrtnbrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 13:32   #673

Thanks for the reply but I can’t get the video to play?

They’re SD60’s
Old 04-08-2018, 13:47   #674

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Decided to anchor as the assigned berth was another tight spot.. thought it may be something binding the prop so dived on it and had a look.. no line snagged and it opens and folds no problem.
That is the type of delivery skipper you want
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 20:55   #675

Boat: Lagoon 450

Dave,
Just google Yanmar SD 50 cone clutch maintenance. It will pop up in the first two or three. It’s a very informative how to this problem. Keep n mind this is for SD 50’s. Not sure what the differences are, if any, for the 60’s. I will also try to pm the link to you.

Steve
skrtnbrnk is offline   Reply With Quote