Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 18-12-2017, 07:21   #466

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Dave,
Great vids! what model drone, and do you use autoreturn or fly it back yourself, just to go a bit off topic for a minute..

Anyway, regarding leisurefurl, does it have an option that you can disengage the gear drive and let the sail rotate on it's own in the case you lose power or have a mechanical failure. I am assuming it has its own gears, but maybe I am wrong on this.

I am a big proponent of furling mains, been sailing 50 years and as soon as boats got inmast furling, i had that on my last several boats before getting my 380. I know it doesn't make sense for a cat rigged like ours, but not having to deal with the stack pack, playing the silly game of raising the sail to past the lines by being dead into the wind, getting it snagged, dropping it 3 inches, falling off/heading up , raising it, and silently cheering when you finally clear the lines because that is the most stressful part of the sail would be great.

Boom furling sounds like it should be a great option. Any downsides?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 08:09   #467

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Congrats!

My only advice is don't over spend on options w/ factory/dealer markup unless it's really hard to add later. Sail for a while and see what you really will need. Maybe have them run wires or plumbing during the build, but reality is nothing like you imagine so save your $ for all the stuff you'll want after the first season. This is the beginning of writing checks, not the end
REALLY sage advice.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 08:26   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
I made my broker get me the 2x short legs for the saloon table. That’s it. A 800 euro option for a cushion and 2 short legs. What a joke! I wouldn’t settle for a different color. The strange color stools are bad enough.

Agree about the 2nd plotter. It gets very expensive buying 2 cards for each region. Backup nav should be charts plus an iPad.

Code 0 is a great option. It’s a much better sail than my now destroyed gennaker which blew in 12 knots apparent.

Rib is also going to serve you well. I wish I had a 20hp. With 4 pax plus luggage we can’t plane with our 15. [emoji26].

Thanks for the good wishes. For those interested, the boat did really well. We threw some nasty weather her way and she never skipped a beat. She makes a lot of noise, there’s creaks and cracks as she flexes but we felt safe and secure the whole crossing. No diving into waves and sitting in the cockpit for dinner of an evening with 5m waves catching and passing you without a spilt drink or a runaway pea is incredible.
Hi Dave

The option we selected is listed at €253. I assume the price difference is because we already selected the full size table in the salon.

Either way we are making a stance on this one.

Eight weeks to go.

Regards
George
sidetracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 10:38   #469

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi jbinbi,

Drone is DJI Phantom 4. I set it to return if it loses signal, otherwise fly back.

My Leisure Furl is furled by a reefing line hidden in a drum in the end of the boom so looks tidy. Can also be furled using winch handle with slot in front of mast.

Downsides would be boom in a bit heavier so I use a preventer if rolling in swells with little wind to stop boom slamming. Care with setting up height on mast attachment to give bimini clearance. And of course cost which would have only been about 5,000 euro more if had not needed to buy Lagoon sail and boom at original purchase. Otherwise all upside [emoji1].

Cheers Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 13:35   #470
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Great vids Dave thanks for sharing !

I do not understand you talking about reefing 45° to the waves.. can you talk AWA ? You do not say much about drawbacks of leisure furl, are there any in terms of performance maybe ? Shape of the sail ?

When in 32 knots I noticed your wheel turns a lot ! it looks like you have raymarine AP but not sure ... Could you be in a "high response" setup ? Wind mode ?

thanks !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 14:41   #471

Good observations ROM,

Yep I meant up to 45 deg to the wind as the boom can be quite a way out as you raise or reef.

No change to my L450 performance, the sail has same power. In the other Leisure Furl thread I mention that the standard L450F mainsail is 82 sq m, square top 85 sq m and Leisure Furl (by Doyles) 80 sq m. I think my sail shape is superior when reefed as it stays the same.

Yep, Raymarine. I had it set to the mid response setting of 5, but yes does turn a lot but had to work hard in the conditions. We were in track mode.

Cheers, dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:05   #472

Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

Hi all,

Please can I ask the Lagoon 450 owners for some advice?

We are replacing the main halyard which is secured to the top of the mast, runs through a pulley on the head of the mainsail and then back up to the top of the mast and down.

The manual says the Uphaul needs to be 46m, but my rigger says it needs to be 68m long (12mm dyneema).

Which is correct?

Cheers,
Jason
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:36   #473

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

In the manual of my L450 (2015) the topping lift is 46, the main halyard is 67m. No wonder, 3 x hight of the mast + .
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 08:55   #474

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

I’ve got a spare main halyard and it’s 68m long 12mm dyneema. I got the length from our manual.
Old 21-12-2017, 09:42   #475

Quote:
I’ve got a spare main halyard and it’s 68m long 12mm dyneema. I got the length from our manual.
Another small piece of spare part equipment going to 650euros ... ?
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 13:43   #476

Well it’s not so bad really. I took out reef 3 which is 14mm so that gives me spare 14mm for sheets so I thought it wise to get some 12mm and I’m pretty much covered for anything.

Regarding our crappy sail bag. I’m going to remove the weak webbing at the aft end of the bag (this is where they all tear) with some re-inforced eyes at the bottom / end corners of the bag that I can secure with rope thru the topping lift attachment eye bolt. I think this will be much stronger. I’ll do the same for the fwd end of the bag too.
Old 21-12-2017, 14:02   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Hi all,

Please can I ask the Lagoon 450 owners for some advice?

We are replacing the main halyard which is secured to the top of the mast, runs through a pulley on the head of the mainsail and then back up to the top of the mast and down.

The manual says the Uphaul needs to be 46m, but my rigger says it needs to be 68m long (12mm dyneema).

Which is correct?

Cheers,
Jason
Your rigger is correct.

Air draft ie: distance to top of mast from keel is 23.5 meters.
Mast base from bottom of keel is aprox 3.5 meters.
IE: Mast is aprox 20 meters tall.

Halyard is attached at top of mast, comes down to block attached to sail, goes back up to top of mast, into the mast then back to deck level. So up and down 3 times equals 60 meters plus 8 meters back to the cockpit and around the winch equals 68 meters or there about.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:08   #478

Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

Guys,

Thank you so much - that's just what I needed to know!

More questions to follow in due course.

Have a wonderful festive season,

Jason
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:26   #479

Quote:
Regarding our crappy sail bag. I’m going to remove the weak webbing at the aft end of the bag (this is where they all tear) with some re-inforced eyes at the bottom / end corners of the bag that I can secure with rope thru the topping lift attachment eye bolt. I think this will be much stronger. I’ll do the same for the fwd end of the bag too.
Dave,
this is quite interesting. If i recall SA II picture, you seem to have chosen the (~1700$) option for a "nice" "Lazy Bag with Cover - Graphite" ?
Instead of the stock white which i tried and found really bad.
Is this correct ? And based on comment above, may not be something you'd recommend? So better go with the standard crappy white one and change it entirely with something better... assuming there is a good way to do this.

The one thing i like with teh park avenue boom (not its price for sure) is the possibility to attach the lazy jack directly to the boom, and have the main bag cover completely separated.
But really a perception of things, hard to figure out what is best here.
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 15:41   #480

It’s a tough one as I can’t compare but yes we have the graphite lazy bag.
My issue with it is, that once the sail is up and the bag neatly rolled away (it took me a while to even realize I could do this) then as it’s now rolled up, the lazy lines are rolled into the bag as they attach at the top of the bag.

Is this making sense?

Then when you want to reef, you either have to unroll the bag both sides first or deal with the excess sail spilling out.

I’d love someone to teach me the short handed solution which doesn’t cost me €40,000 (but I would love a boom furling system)