Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 21:58   #31
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Thanks for sharing. Great photos! I bet Asia is amazing to explore and we can't wait.
__________________

__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 22:06   #32
Registered User
 
Krabimike's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: on the move
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 141
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Yes it is a great place for me to learn! I have made my share of mistakes! Thailand and Malaysian charts are very good and the weather is mild! Although we are happy to see the rainy season somewhat behind us. We are considering Maldives end of January. Depending on our warranty issues. We have had issues with our sliding window and the Helm top. Along with a few others. That is a positive with the 450L it is proven. But we love our Helm and the S style.
__________________

__________________
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 23:56   #33
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Yes it is a great place for me to learn! I have made my share of mistakes! Thailand and Malaysian charts are very good and the weather is mild! Although we are happy to see the rainy season somewhat behind us. We are considering Maldives end of January. Depending on our warranty issues. We have had issues with our sliding window and the Helm top. Along with a few others. That is a positive with the 450L it is proven. But we love our Helm and the S style.


Would you mind posting some details on the warranty issues so us newbies can be better prepared?

How long would you say it has taken to iron out any of your snags? I'm hoping we can spend about 5 months living aboard in the Med next year where there's good Lagoon support to get our 'inevitable' issues sorted. We will also be learning and we are both expecting a steep learning curve.
__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:55   #34
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,580
Images: 240
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sbonder.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:15   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Boat: TBA
Posts: 295
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
That's the SS cockpit drawer fridge at 1550euro and why I posted that pic. Yes, they drop a 'S' mould on top of the 'F'. I thought it's good to make the best possible use of that void and if the cockpit fridge occupies the whole space then it's worth it.

I agree, I want the cockpit cupboard to store cleaning stuff.

Could you post a link to the fb page. All I find are the furry type of cat if I look for Proud Cat.
Hi Dave , why not ask if some access hatches can be put in the old walkway it would make a bit of useable storage space for cleaning gear Its a fairly large area all up probably around 1 m3 and it is fairly easily accessible and should be dry
__________________
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:31   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New England
Boat: lagoon 380 s2
Posts: 493
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Having just put on solar myself on a new boat, I would say that you should chose to have the factory install it. I am pretty good on electrical , but I had to find someone who could make the frame out of aluminum for me. And I mostly had to design it, I based it on someone at the marina who had the Lagoon factory option (actually on a 450).

The only good thing I got out of it was that I put on 580 watts in the same space lagoon offers 360. Though that might have changed in the 18 months since I got my boat.

I didn't have the option to get solar, I purchased a 'show boat', it came the way it came. But if you are having it built, I would think getting the generator and solar installed from Lagoon will save you a big hassle. You will want charging options immediately.
__________________
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 20:57   #37
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Dave , why not ask if some access hatches can be put in the old walkway it would make a bit of useable storage space for cleaning gear Its a fairly large area all up probably around 1 m3 and it is fairly easily accessible and should be dry


That's a good idea, I'll look into making that space storage and then see if I can fit a larger fridge where the cabinet to the left of the steps is.
__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 21:00   #38
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Having just put on solar myself on a new boat, I would say that you should chose to have the factory install it. I am pretty good on electrical , but I had to find someone who could make the frame out of aluminum for me. And I mostly had to design it, I based it on someone at the marina who had the Lagoon factory option (actually on a 450).

The only good thing I got out of it was that I put on 580 watts in the same space lagoon offers 360. Though that might have changed in the 18 months since I got my boat.

I didn't have the option to get solar, I purchased a 'show boat', it came the way it came. But if you are having it built, I would think getting the generator and solar installed from Lagoon will save you a big hassle. You will want charging options immediately.


As standard, Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's. All flexible and all on the roof without the frame.
__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 10:53   #39
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Can I ask peoples opinions on a couple of topics:

1. choice of downwind sails (spinnaker gear or code 0 rig) (gennaker or wingaker)
What do I need to get factory installed, if anything?

2. Cockpit canvas (do we need any?)
We've got the fixed Bimini with protection but do we need more?
__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:03   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,948
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
As standard, Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's. All flexible and all on the roof without the frame.
You might want to do some more homework on using flexible solar panels mounted directly to a gel coat surface. These panels might be ok in northern latitudes but we have had bad experiences with them in the tropics. If they are mounted in such a way that air can flow between the panel and the fiberglass surface you may be fine but I would avoid mounting them directly. I do see it done but wait until those panels have been on the boat a few years and the look underneath them and you'll see the gel coat has been cooked. On our boat the previous owner installed them and I removed them and found I could use my finger nail and flick off the nonskid finish which had turned brown from being cooked. It cost me a lot of money to have the decks refinished so really check into this before you go ahead. We have a cat beside us that actually burned a hole into the solid Bimini and he got rid of the flexible panels and installed glass panels raised a few inches above to allow air to flow, excess heat also reduces the power you get from the panels.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:07   #41
Registered User
 
davedindubai's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: To be decided...
Boat: Lagoon 450S
Posts: 212
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You might want to do some more homework on using flexible solar panels mounted directly to a gel coat surface. These panels might be ok in northern latitudes but we have had bad experiences with them in the tropics. If they are mounted in such a way that air can flow between the panel and the fiberglass surface you may be fine but I would avoid mounting them directly. I do see it done but wait until those panels have been on the boat a few years and the look underneath them and you'll see the gel coat has been cooked. On our boat the previous owner installed them and I removed them and found I could use my finger nail and flick off the nonskid finish which had turned brown from being cooked. It cost me a lot of money to have the decks refinished so really check into this before you go ahead. We have a cat beside us that actually burned a hole into the solid Bimini and he got rid of the flexible panels and installed glass panels raised a few inches above to allow air to flow, excess heat also reduces the power you get from the panels.


Wow. Very interesting and the first time I've heard about this so thank you so much. More research needed indeed!
__________________
davedindubai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 12:59   #42
Registered User
 
Lady Roslyn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran
Posts: 37
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Hi Daveindubai. Check out the thread in Lagoon forum a bit further down the page on Code 0 and in particular how you can skip the spinnaker, genaker and code 0 and get a Wingaker. Buy from them directly and get training and a fantastic sail at a fraction of the cost of a factory bought sail. We haven't bought ours yet but will be in the new year after the European winter. We've tested the Wingaker and are convinced it's the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 13:00   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 613
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post

2) Disconnect the Lagoon installed bilge alarm and install a high water alarm and connect the bilge alarm to it. Otherwise when you run you A/C the discharged water will set off the installed alarm every 20 minutes and it will drive you crazy. The A/C water drains into the bilge.
Installing a shower sump might be easier and cleaner. If there is a shower sump for any of the showers, there should be additional inlets for an A/C condensation drain hose.
__________________
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 13:21   #44
Registered User
 
PaulinOz's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast Australia on board L450
Boat: Lagoon 421(2010) & L450(2013)
Posts: 720
Images: 17
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Installing a shower sump might be easier and cleaner. If there is a shower sump for any of the showers, there should be additional inlets for an A/C condensation drain hose.
Lagoons use a switch operated timed relay to drain shower, so not an option for A/C condensate.

Quote: "Lagoon offer 4x 120w panels but I've opted for 6x 120's."

I would strongly suggest you look at more watts. Unless you are connected to shore power most of the time. Power is like good wine and money there is no so such thing as to much.

I have never met anybody complaining that there batteries recharge to quickly after a heavy nights usage. The opposite you here all the time. I find 2 kW is good but 3kW would be better. The ideal situation is when you do not have to think about battery usage, you just use it to do what needs to be done and enjoy living.
__________________
Condomaran owning, Lagoon fan boy who was once called Petal
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:26   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston
Boat: Boatless - sold Lagoon 450
Posts: 106
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

We opted for the Code 0. It's not meant to be a downwind sail although it will work as one. In hindsight, I would have purchased a parasailor for downwind cat sailing.

Depends where you are sailing. We took delivery in Les Sables d'Olonne in October '15 and we were glad to have enclosures around the aft salon. We have been in the tropics for the last year now and they haven't seen daylight since storing them away.

We have A/C and the admiral uses it more than I would prefer, but hey, it keeps her happy. We went with the 13.5kw genset. You don't want to be caught short or have to worry about it.

We have underwater lights. Nice novelty that attracts fish and keeps the admiral entertained.
__________________

__________________
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Big decision time | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Info: Am I being unreasonable concerning handover of new 450S Krabimike Lagoon Catamarans 56 16-07-2016 03:29
Just signed Paperwork for Boat! We're Officially Sailboat Owners! natraps116 Liveaboard's Forum 45 16-07-2014 23:37
Just signed up! onebikeoneworld Meets & Greets 5 15-06-2013 12:54
Just Signed Up laflood@attbi.com Meets & Greets 4 16-03-2006 13:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:35.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.