Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 14:05   #1

Boat: Soon to be Lagoon 400S2
Just bought our retirement home!

HI, my wife and are just finishing up purchasing a 2013 Lagoon 400S2 Owner Version, located in the Mediterranean. We currently live in Southern California and will be retired soon. Will be starting our retirement days cruising the Med. Exciting times ahead!
69Datsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:02   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Just bought our retirement home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Datsun510 View Post
HI, my wife and are just finishing up purchasing a 2013 Lagoon 400S2 Owner Version, located in the Mediterranean. We currently live in Southern California and will be retired soon. Will be starting our retirement days cruising the Med. Exciting times ahead!
Congratulations and welcome. Let the good times begin.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 00:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Congrats and welcome from a fellow Lagoon 400S2 owner in the Med!! Great adventures are in store for the both of you.
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 00:53   #4

Excellent. Can't think of a better way to retire! Lot's of adventures ahead for you both.

Quote:
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Excellent. Can't think of a better way to retire! Lot's of adventures ahead for you both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtm67 View Post
Congrats and welcome from a fellow Lagoon 400S2 owner in the Med!! Great adventures are in store for the both of you.
We have been lucky enough to have a younger married couple, friends of ours, that wants to come along and have saved up funds to cruise with us. We are hoping they can make the journey for at least 3 years. We did an 8 day bareboat charter in the BVI with them, and we all had a great time. We viewed it as a test run of sorts. There is no real way to gauge the conditions of living with each other for months or years, without just trying. That's the beauty of having a Catamaran, we each get a hull as sanctuary. We have an Owner Version, even better for us. We are all excited to start the adventure!
Old 17-10-2019, 06:13   #6

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

You know what they say guests and fish start to smell after 3 days
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 08:25   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Hopefully not the beginning of the end of the relationship..
Old 17-10-2019, 09:31   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Congratulations
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:38   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

Congrats 69Datsun510.

I am interested in learning from your purchasing experience and tips. I plan to upgrade my Oceanis 250 to a cat in the Med. There are a couple of good leads in Spain and Croatia. But I have not figured out what will involve beside my bring my checkbook.

Ciao.

J.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 21:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuneau View Post
You know what they say guests and fish start to smell after 3 days
Old 17-10-2019, 21:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Hopefully not the beginning of the end of the relationship..
So do we, have to give it a go!
Old 17-10-2019, 21:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPNW View Post
Congrats 69Datsun510.

I am interested in learning from your purchasing experience and tips. I plan to upgrade my Oceanis 250 to a cat in the Med. There are a couple of good leads in Spain and Croatia. But I have not figured out what will involve beside my bring my checkbook.

Ciao.

J.
Best I can tell you, I'm no expert, is from my experience so far. I'm still going through it now.

Make sure you have a buying agent from the US to deal with your offer, setup a stateside escrow account, and procedures for the purchase. They can help with locating a boat for you, too. Make a first offer, once a price is agreed, go see the boat. Your agent will be able to guide you through the process. Just make sure you get one that has experience in international transactions. I did a LLC for the boat documents and USCG documented vessel.

I went over to Croatia to do the survey and sea trial. I don't recommend buying sight unseen. The airfare and stay can be done for under $2000. Shop the airfare and do an Airbnb. The Airbnb I stayed at, I could walk to the Marina, overlooked the harbor, was private, clean, and awesome people. I can't wait to go back!

I think the biggest wrench in the whole process so far for me, has been the insurance. You'll need ASA sailing classes 101,103,106, and 114 if you buy a catamaran, logged hours on a similar vessel. If you don't have the ASA but years of experience, checkout NauticEd website. You can create a logbook, do certifications, etc. Will also need to get a ICC license to operate in the Mediterranean, there are threads on the forum on this subject and NauticaEd covers how to get one. Insurance may still want a licensed Captain to check you off for operating the vessel you buy, If you don't have documented certifications, especially if the vessel is considerably larger then you have experience on. I'm still going through the insurance process. I'm hoping my friend who is going with us, he has a USCG Master 50-ton license and sailing endorsement, can get approved by the insurance to sign me off for competency of operating my new boat.

Hope that helps you get a better picture of the process and good luck
Old 17-10-2019, 22:12   #13

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Looks like an amazing boat, I watched a youtube promo vid about it. I hope it comes with washer/dryer.

Enjoy.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 10:54   #14

Quote:
Best I can tell you, I'm no expert, is from my experience so far. I'm still going through it now.

Make sure you have a buying agent from the US to deal with your offer, setup a stateside escrow account, and procedures for the purchase. They can help with locating a boat for you, too. Make a first offer, once a price is agreed, go see the boat. Your agent will be able to guide you through the process. Just make sure you get one that has experience in international transactions. I did a LLC for the boat documents and USCG documented vessel.

I went over to Croatia to do the survey and sea trial. I don't recommend buying sight unseen. The airfare and stay can be done for under $2000. Shop the airfare and do an Airbnb. The Airbnb I stayed at, I could walk to the Marina, overlooked the harbor, was private, clean, and awesome people. I can't wait to go back!

I think the biggest wrench in the whole process so far for me, has been the insurance. You'll need ASA sailing classes 101,103,106, and 114 if you buy a catamaran, logged hours on a similar vessel. If you don't have the ASA but years of experience, checkout NauticEd website. You can create a logbook, do certifications, etc. Will also need to get a ICC license to operate in the Mediterranean, there are threads on the forum on this subject and NauticaEd covers how to get one. Insurance may still want a licensed Captain to check you off for operating the vessel you buy, If you don't have documented certifications, especially if the vessel is considerably larger then you have experience on. I'm still going through the insurance process. I'm hoping my friend who is going with us, he has a USCG Master 50-ton license and sailing endorsement, can get approved by the insurance to sign me off for competency of operating my new boat.

Hope that helps you get a better picture of the process and good luck
NOOB question here - Are ASA (and/or other) certifications required for insuring via US insurance companies, or insurance from any company in the world ?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 15:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Looks like an amazing boat, I watched a youtube promo vid about it. I hope it comes with washer/dryer.

Enjoy.
Thank You! Doesn't currently have a washer/dryer, but who knows in the future its a possibility

Tags
men, retirement