Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 19:12   #1

Installing major components after market on used cat?

I'll be in the market for a 421 in about 2 years, maybe less. To find an exact cat will be rough. What can be reasonably installed aftermarket or best to be on the must have at purchase list?

- Generator? I know you can simply buy a Honda or other 3000kw generator, but being plumed in and diesel would be nice. Especially of a capacity to run multiple AC, charge, water-maker, etc. Can you easily fit a 7k or whatever or should it be a must have at purchase? I don't need gen, but guest will want AC.

- AC units. I know they can be installed aftermarket,but can be very expensive, through holes, thermostat in each room, etc. I believe it would be best to have them factory.

- Washing machine. I also know there are aftermarket ones that are installed next to a sink and use the faucet for water and drain. This option would be taking a bathroom or shower space full time. Can a standard one be installed as in are they pre-plumbed in and I can connect drains and water or do all the lines have to be installed? In an Recreational Vehicle, may are ready for a washer with electric and plumbing, but just simply missing a washer. Are lagoons like that?

Everything else can be installed later if missing upon purchase:
Watermakers, Solar, wind generator, cockpit enclosures, etc.
serpa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 21:55   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Installing major components after market on used cat?

Anything can be added. Adding something that’s commonly used on your boat (such as you mention) won’t be that hard.

If you’re looking at second hand then remember that the generator/washing machine/ac will be 5 or 8 or whatever years old, with unspecified maintenance. The kit you add after you buy will be brand new to precisely your spec, so likely much more valuable to you.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote