Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 22:25   #61

Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
we assumed most experienced sailors generally don't seek further training. Jeesh, this is like talking to children.
Don't agree with that either.

I know plenty of experienced, commercial mariners that MUST HAVE regular further training. I think it's called "professional development". Other occupations have it too.

Then there's the "experienced sailors" who don't need it because they know it all. They're the ones to be careful of!

Great thread, Wendi. Good luck with the planning and preparations.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27   #62

Boat: Lagoon 450
Wendi,

FWIW, we did pretty much what you are planning a couple of years ago. We took delivery of our new boat in Oct 2011 and had a delivery captain sail her from France to the Canaries. My wife and I, and 3 friends flew to the Canaries in Nov 2011 and after provisioning and a few repairs we sailed to the BVI. My friends were not experienced sailors and neither was my wife. It was not all smooth sailing but we had a unforgettable experience and we are all thrilled to have been able to do it. Having an experienced Captain on board was obviously crucial.

My 2 cents: Don't put it off as YOLO and life is short.

Dean
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 19:01   #63

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catopia View Post
Wendi,

FWIW, we did pretty much what you are planning a couple of years ago. We took delivery of our new boat in Oct 2011 and had a delivery captain sail her from France to the Canaries. My wife and I, and 3 friends flew to the Canaries in Nov 2011 and after provisioning and a few repairs we sailed to the BVI. My friends were not experienced sailors and neither was my wife. It was not all smooth sailing but we had a unforgettable experience and we are all thrilled to have been able to do it. Having an experienced Captain on board was obviously crucial.

My 2 cents: Don't put it off as YOLO and life is short.

Dean
YOLO indeed! I am flying to Spain to see the boat in a few days. I am going for it. I had many encouraging and experienced people tell me that I should just stick to my plan. And I will! Since none of you were experienced sailors, how did you feel about the trip? How much experience did you have before the trip?
Old 14-09-2013, 19:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Don't agree with that either.

I know plenty of experienced, commercial mariners that MUST HAVE regular further training. I think it's called "professional development". Other occupations have it too.

Then there's the "experienced sailors" who don't need it because they know it all. They're the ones to be careful of!

Great thread, Wendi. Good luck with the planning and preparations.
Level of experience is something that can always be improved on. I raced hobies in the bay in SF with wild conditions and intense winds for a few seasons. I sailed a variety of boats on lakes. When I lived in Newport beach, Ca I sailed the ocean in a variety of boats for 3 years. But I still feel I can always be a better sailor and learn more. I want to get my captain's license and I want to be confident about my skills. When I was on a boat off the coast of Newport bch, we hit a squall, or should i say a Squall hit us. The guys onboard knew immediately what to do. I watched and realized I need to learn more. So, my thought was that this was a great opportunity to have some ocean training and hone my skills!
I am stoked.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:07   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how a video of me in 'Budgie Smugglers' playing with my balls can change an image so fast...

I used to be a 'nice guy..'
Well, I guess that meansz you passed the first test.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:09   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Wendi, sorry if anything I said was discouraging. I certainly dont want to discourage you from your dream. It's hard on this forum to know what each poster's particular knowledge and situation is for sure. Heck, We get posts like " buying a boat in july, want to sail off in the fall... never sailed but...saw this 45 footer for $10000...."
Most here want to help, but often you will get pretty straightforward, non softened statements. These are just tools to put in your toolbox to decide what and how to do it.
As mentioned before, anytime you put yourself on a "must do" schedule, it often ends with trouble, even in a boat you've had for years...
Did I read this wrong in your origianl post? "... I really need to secure ONE or more good crew who will get us across alive and smiling.
And if there is a Captain...."
That sounds like 2 or 3 unknown people to me....
One. If that one is a captain that would be cool. One or more, we if I have one of my sailing friends back out, I need the or more. Hope that clears it up.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:11   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I'm with Vasco, as wendi puts it - "she is buying a boat, and has sailed, and has much sailing experience, and is employing a skipper to deliver the boat, and will join the delivery trip, can't see to much wrong with that.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. That is how I saw it.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:14   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
ASSUME = Making an ass out of U & ME ....

Good luck Wendi.
Thanks, things are progressing. I think I am on track to do this.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:16   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

I thought her request was for 'someone to join them' preferably a skipper that could give some accredition on the way, was quite surprised she never got advice on 'brass valves'!!!! LMAO!!!

What? I need brass valves? Where am I gonna get those on such short notice? What was I thinking....
Old 14-09-2013, 19:19   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip. I hope you don't back out.
I am going for it. I have been looking at the ARC for years, and I also hope to join their world cruiser trip soon. So close to having a boat to do that in Thanks... I am not backing out. I am all in.
Old 14-09-2013, 23:16   #71

Boat: Lagoon 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post

YOLO indeed! I am flying to Spain to see the boat in a few days. I am going for it. I had many encouraging and experienced people tell me that I should just stick to my plan. And I will! Since none of you were experienced sailors, how did you feel about the trip? How much experience did you have before the trip?
I have been sailing for a long time including many charters in the Caribbean, Bahamas and PNW. However, other than a voyage from SF to LA, I hadn't done anything long. Obviously we were all very excited about the trip. We put a lot of faith in our delivery captain and he turned out to be excellent. My wife for one was very nervous as well but didn't want to pass on such a great opportunity. She did brilliantly and prepared us gourmet meals all the way across. Only one of us really did not fair well at sea and was very happy to see land after 21 days. We got to experience everything from dead calm to sustained 40+ knot winds and big seas. It was a tremendous experience and I hope to be able to do more.
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 04:28   #72

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Have a nice trip Wendi, just sail safe .
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:03   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

hi Wendi.. hows things progressing, have you definitely knocked the 400 on the head and are now chasing the 380... may know of another in Corfu if your interested..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 06:01   #74
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

lots of

so i will say, go do it.
the Atlantic is super easy, and can sailed in a bathtub!
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:02   #75

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
lots of

so i will say, go do it.
the Atlantic is super easy, and can sailed in a bathtub!
You should at least try it before you spout off about it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc