Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2013, 15:10   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
99.9% , just need to hope to be in that 99.9 part. Are those the real odds?
I remember a year when there were at least two abandons (boats abandoned, crews picked up), then again I did not hear any horror stories in other years (e.g. last year). There may be some 250 boats each year. Thus the real odds may be something like +99.0% or thereabout.

I can remember some rigging failures, also some rudder failures - things that should be 100% reliable in any boat but luck will have it and at times also a brand new, high quality component fails. Rest assured not all boats have new and high quality components. Possibly bad news ooops.

It is important to see that technical matters count but ability to cope with minor and major disasters is all on the side of the crew and the responsibility is on the skipper. There is no way one can avoid trouble but there are huge differences in how we manage things, both pre-sail and during the passage.

Sound boat, skills, experience, luck (only if you believe in luck).

b.

Old 17-09-2013, 15:13   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Every year there are yachts that return to the Canaries or divert to the Cape Verde Islands with problems. I don't know of any that went missing in the ARC.
I cannot remember any boat sunk either. There was one casualty some time ago, I think.

b.

Old 17-09-2013, 15:54   #93

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Amazing thread you've started here Wendi!

One thing that's missing so far ( unless I missed it ) is any comment from anyone who has actually done the ARC. Well I'll put that right as I did the ARC back in 2002 in my then brand new catamaran that was launched on the 15th October 2002. So I left Las Palmas on a boat less than 6 weeks old and surprise, surprise, I live to tell the tale.

The ARC is a great, fun, event. Yes once you are 24 hours out you'll probably not see another boat for days on end but, if you do have a problem, other boats will come to provide assistance if needed. In the entire history of the ARC only a few boats have been abandoned and to date, I think, there have only been two fatalities. The first ever was the year that I did it when the skipper of a large monohull went over the side and his sole crew member couldn't get him back aboard. The other more recent was someone hit on the head by the boom.

The ARC really is great fun. I enjoyed it so much I eventually did the World ARC circumnavigation aboard the same boat and with just my wife as crew. ARC+ is new this year so there is no available knowledge base but I'm sure it will be run just as professionally.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and arrive safely.

P.S. I wouldn't bother about getting an ASA qualification unless you want to run your boat as a commercial operation. You'll learn more by sailing with a variety of people than you will on any organised course.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 16:16   #94
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Not sure if MarkJ did the ARC... or just set off around the same time but his moment of excitement was when his forestay went... did not lose his mast and managed to finish the crossing un-assisted.. and he was solo... not bad for a guy who was stressed about getting from Italy to Gibraltar.. soloing for the 1st time ever in a 47ftr...
Many overstress and imagine to much... mainly coastal cruisers... **** happens for sure but most problems can be resolved and you can carry on... in 95% of cases the weak link is the crew.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Here's an update!

There is a sad part and a happy part.
I flew to Spain from the USA just 2 weeks ago to buy a Lagoon 400 from Pedro, and since he did not want to have me wire the money into an escrow account (seemed strange) and I was not going to just send him the money to buy the boat, I had to go there to finalize the transaction. He and I had talked for over a month and he knew my purpose of the trip was to purchase the boat. On friday morning I took a cab to the dock, and when I sat down on his boat he told me that he decided to sell it to his friend! I was crushed, angry and stunned. I just took four flights to get there, taxis, hotel, etc. And he could not have told me this ONE day before? Or even that morning so I did not have to go to the dock to see my dream boat, thinking I was buying it?

Ugh.

So I came back to Colorado, and resumed the negotiation for a 2012 Lagoon 380 that is in Croatia, now in Italy. The owners are wonderful people, helpful and totally doing things the right way to create the sale. The sale will be done in about a week. I am hiring a delivery captain to bring it to the Canaries, then I will sail in the ARC+ with my crew.

For those naysayers in this conversation, well, everyone does things differently. For me, my life has always been about making things happen in my timeframe (fast, I get really really focused on making something happen) and in this case it was pushed to a deadline because I was accepted in the ARC+ for Nov 10.

If the delivery does not make it in time, or anything else delays it I can get in the next ARC and sail with the bigger group. That was good news!

When the 420 electric came out I went to France to see the prototype and signed a contract and was ready to make my dream come true. But the failings of the electric boat allowed me to cancel the contract. So now, with my years of preparation, wishing, dreaming and waiting I finally went the last step which is buying a boat. Yea!

Walking onto that dock to see what was to be my new boat in Spain with Pedro was exhilarating. Having him pull the rug out from under me, and apparently use me to secure his other buyer, was devastating. He is a dick. I spent so much time and money to come there, how could he not tell me that he was yanking me and some other buyer around?

But now the happy ending, and happy beginning is here. Sephina is only 1 year old, sailed from France to Croatia, is equipped with everything you can stuff onto a Lagoon 380.
Thank you to those who encouraged me to go for it. I really appreciate your perspective.

I am very excited about the ARC, this has been high on my list of life's adventures since I was buying that electric Lagoon years ago. And now, here it is!

Wendi

A mile high these days. Need to get back to sea level soon.
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Great news. Good luck and have a safe trip.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, I think I will make it a great trip. Lots to do, but it is finally ON!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:17   #98

Wendi. Who was the broker in Spain?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Path- There was no broker, it was direct from the seller, Pedro. He is on this forum and he approached me about his boat for sale. I think he should reimburse me for my trip, but like I said, he's a dick.

Old 04-10-2013, 13:17   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

He is a dick.
Most likely not.

You must understand different cultures act in different ways. Pedro is most likely like any other Spanish: not really concerned with what some neurotic Nordic individuals perceive as 'time'.

;-)))

Take it slow, enjoy the ride, Las Palmas will be full of dicks of all sorts when you arrive.

BTW I think 380 is much prettier than 400. You might be after all getting the finer boat THANKS TO PEDRO ...

;-)))

All the best,
b.
Las Palmas
Old 04-10-2013, 13:54   #101

Boat: Lagoon 440

Well done Wendi, we went on a similar journey to get our boat, travelled to the states etc then bought in Croatia.... Happy sailing :-)
Old 04-10-2013, 14:03   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup, Barnakiel. I got a much better boat. Newer, better equipped, good energy, prettier. It all worked out. One of the hard things is doing this all on my own, no shoulder to lean on. I got over it the next day. I still think he needs to reimburse me.
Funny, you say there are lots of dicks in Las Palmas... and it turns out they are everywhere. But I will ignore those and find the ocean loving sailors instead!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yup, Barnakiel. I got a much better boat. Newer, better equipped, good energy, prettier. It all worked out. One of the hard things is doing this all on my own, no shoulder to lean on. I got over it the next day. I still think he needs to reimburse me.
Funny, you say there are lots of dicks in Las Palmas... and it turns out they are everywhere. But I will ignore those and find the ocean loving sailors instead!
Yep.

If the boat still in CRO or ITA then have a good long look at the chart - you are way off from the start line. If you sail her fast, you may be on time (more likely for the second start late Nov).

Get a captain and delivery crew that will be able to work on / improve / pinpoint and correct things as they go. You want the boat to arrive as much ready for the crossing as possible.

Sure thing, if there is a delay in your delivery (which may be, given autumn conditions in the Med) you can cross at any time after the ARC. It is more important to go when ready rather than go when ARC. I think.

Ocean loving sailors too. It takes all kinds. ;-)

Very sunny here, meanwhile.

b.
Old 27-10-2013, 13:14   #104

Good on yer!
All the best and many happy miles on your boat.
Looking fwd to following your updates.

Quote:
Here's an update!

There is a sad part and a happy part.
I flew to Spain from the USA just 2 weeks ago to buy a Lagoon 400 from Pedro, and since he did not want to have me wire the money into an escrow account (seemed strange) and I was not going to just send him the money to buy the boat, I had to go there to finalize the transaction. He and I had talked for over a month and he knew my purpose of the trip was to purchase the boat. On friday morning I took a cab to the dock, and when I sat down on his boat he told me that he decided to sell it to his friend! I was crushed, angry and stunned. I just took four flights to get there, taxis, hotel, etc. And he could not have told me this ONE day before? Or even that morning so I did not have to go to the dock to see my dream boat, thinking I was buying it?

Ugh.

So I came back to Colorado, and resumed the negotiation for a 2012 Lagoon 380 that is in Croatia, now in Italy. The owners are wonderful people, helpful and totally doing things the right way to create the sale. The sale will be done in about a week. I am hiring a delivery captain to bring it to the Canaries, then I will sail in the ARC+ with my crew.

For those naysayers in this conversation, well, everyone does things differently. For me, my life has always been about making things happen in my timeframe (fast, I get really really focused on making something happen) and in this case it was pushed to a deadline because I was accepted in the ARC+ for Nov 10.

If the delivery does not make it in time, or anything else delays it I can get in the next ARC and sail with the bigger group. That was good news!

When the 420 electric came out I went to France to see the prototype and signed a contract and was ready to make my dream come true. But the failings of the electric boat allowed me to cancel the contract. So now, with my years of preparation, wishing, dreaming and waiting I finally went the last step which is buying a boat. Yea!

Walking onto that dock to see what was to be my new boat in Spain with Pedro was exhilarating. Having him pull the rug out from under me, and apparently use me to secure his other buyer, was devastating. He is a dick. I spent so much time and money to come there, how could he not tell me that he was yanking me and some other buyer around?

But now the happy ending, and happy beginning is here. Sephina is only 1 year old, sailed from France to Croatia, is equipped with everything you can stuff onto a Lagoon 380.
Thank you to those who encouraged me to go for it. I really appreciate your perspective.

I am very excited about the ARC, this has been high on my list of life's adventures since I was buying that electric Lagoon years ago. And now, here it is!

Wendi
Old 27-10-2013, 14:15   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
Good on yer!
All the best and many happy miles on your boat.
Looking fwd to following your updates.
Hi Brogan,
Thanks! I am getting all set, looks like we will be going with the ARC for Nov 24th, not the ARC+.
I am getting really excited, have some crew ready and I am reading the very big binder that ARC sent to me. There is so much to learn, I just keep reminding myself it is one bite at a time!

Tags
arc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: