Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 19:57   #151
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Does that mean your not into Comic Sans..??
No can't do that on an ipad , which is my favourite Cf interface ( no ads either )

I like yours though , very unique. I mean of we all did it, we couldn't tell Boaties posts. !!!

Happy new year Phil

Dave
Old 31-12-2013, 20:10   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No can't do that on an ipad , which is my favourite Cf interface ( no ads either )

I like yours though , very unique. I mean of we all did it, we couldn't tell Boaties posts. !!!

Happy new year Phil

Dave
Back Atchya mate...
And anyone else who's into New Years..
Looking forward to the Chinese New Year.. break out the rice wine. Hic...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 20:14   #153
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Back Atchya mate...
And anyone else who's into New Years..
Looking forward to the Chinese New Year.. break out the rice wine. Hic...
I won't ask why youre on the keyboard at 5 pm !!

Dave
Old 31-12-2013, 20:21   #154
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I won't ask why youre on the keyboard at 5 pm !!

Dave
Because its only 0420am here..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-12-2013, 20:48   #155

Re: I'm in the ARC+ for November!

Quote:
I debated whether to respond to this, but hey , I'm human. This is an Internet forum , topics are debated , teased out etc , little is accepted at face value. Some threads bear down hard on issues

I put forward my critique simply as my opinion , it has no value , just like anyone's , in itself. It is merely my view.

All posts are unsolicited on a forum , even where an OP. starts a particular thread , there nothing to say it should not deviate to what and where the contributors want. The OP. starts a thread , not owns the debate.

I seek no intrinsic value in my contribution , it's worth what other people make of it. They can ignore it , or debate it. You however merely criticise my making it.

What you have done or I have done is irrelevant on this forum , all we have are our posts.

I hope you see the point, which is entirely different then the one you are making

Dave
Sounds like you have evolved a bit.

Well done.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:00   #156

Boat: Orca 38

Good thread....
Great blog Wendi.......

Happy New Year CF
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43   #157
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Wendi,

First of all thx and congrats for the great blog. Yr case can be a very good case study in Business Schools and I believe you found the best solution, very good analytical and judgemental skills..
I've had somewhat similar issues in my Atlantic passage two years ago with a first mate and a youngster that I took as a cook. The only difference that I was the owner and the captain and I was able to take the boat anywhere on my own. Nevertheless, the first mate who had some offshore experience and a very kind person turned out to protest every decision that I was taking after 10 days on the sea. I found out that the youngster cook was carrying and smoking some drugs.. I know how difficult to handle this conflicts in the middle of the Ocean on board a small sailing boat. Thx God, althought I am short tempered person, I managed the situation quitely and nicely. I tend to belive that this kind of long passages has some impact on the personality/psychology of every one, in a good or bad way..
Getting people that you don't know on board and for a long passage is risky. On the way back to Europe, I had another dutch guy with me and we had great time and sailing with him.
Interviewing or whatever might help but it's always risky. The best is to get as much as possible people that you know and sure about.
I strongly suggest that you learn quickly to manage yr boat yrself so that you don't depend on anybody, at least to skipper yr boat.
All the best

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:20   #158

Boat: ?

gosh, i just read the whole blog.

interesting to say the least..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42   #159

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
I'm in the ARC+ for November!

After reading her entire Blog and this CF thread surrounding that, I find unique value and great insights. Especially from critical observations by professional captains and those with firsthand ARC and open ocean experience. Wendi's provided a condition where all of us can benefit from not only her challenges and accomplishments but also a thorough analysis by experts.

Simply awesome. Thanks to all.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49   #160

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Hi Wendi,

First of all thx and congrats for the great blog. Yr case can be a very good case study in Business Schools and I believe you found the best solution, very good analytical and judgemental skills..
I've had somewhat similar issues in my Atlantic passage two years ago with a first mate and a youngster that I took as a cook. The only difference that I was the owner and the captain and I was able to take the boat anywhere on my own. Nevertheless, the first mate who had some offshore experience and a very kind person turned out to protest every decision that I was taking after 10 days on the sea. I found out that the youngster cook was carrying and smoking some drugs.. I know how difficult to handle this conflicts in the middle of the Ocean on board a small sailing boat. Thx God, althought I am short tempered person, I managed the situation quitely and nicely. I tend to belive that this kind of long passages has some impact on the personality/psychology of every one, in a good or bad way..
Getting people that you don't know on board and for a long passage is risky. On the way back to Europe, I had another dutch guy with me and we had great time and sailing with him.
Interviewing or whatever might help but it's always risky. The best is to get as much as possible people that you know and sure about.
I strongly suggest that you learn quickly to manage yr boat yrself so that you don't depend on anybody, at least to skipper yr boat.
All the best

Yeloya
Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. It is risky, and it brings out some new thoughts for how to sail long distances. I will be able to handle my boat myself, and I am heading back to the Caribbean next week to sail for several weeks. I have my trusty brother on board this time and we have sailed together with laughs and smiles. From here on, I will be the skipper of my boat, always. Before the ARC trip, I felt that I needed to hand it over to someone with ocean experience. I learned a lot! All set for some nice Caribbean cruising now. Phew!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. It is risky, and it brings out some new thoughts for how to sail long distances. I will be able to handle my boat myself, and I am heading back to the Caribbean next week to sail for several weeks. I have my trusty brother on board this time and we have sailed together with laughs and smiles. From here on, I will be the skipper of my boat, always. Before the ARC trip, I felt that I needed to hand it over to someone with ocean experience. I learned a lot! All set for some nice Caribbean cruising now. Phew!
"Trusty Brother"????

Hmmm.... The sea changes people or so I've heard...

Here's what I think you need to do to cover yourself.... the night prior to departure....Wake your brother up at 3AM, and get him up in the dead of night... Make him sign a letter for finalizing the terms of your captaincy.... List all the crap jobs under "brothers duties" and under yours have "dance party organizer, Sommelier , DJ, and overall fun officer"

PS: Don't tell your brother I was the one who suggested this...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40   #162

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
"Trusty Brother"????

Hmmm.... The sea changes people or so I've heard...

Here's what I think you need to do to cover yourself.... the night prior to departure....Wake your brother up at 3AM, and get him up in the dead of night... Make him sign a letter for finalizing the terms of your captaincy.... List all the crap jobs under "brothers duties" and under yours have "dance party organizer, Sommelier , DJ, and overall fun officer"

PS: Don't tell your brother I was the one who suggested this...
Hahaha. I like my job description!
Well, the good news is that my brother and I have sailed together, traveled to lots of countries, endured 3rd world challenges, and even had to endure 3 hours driving lost in Paris. AFter all our adventures, sailing will be the easy trip. But, great idea to get him up at 3 am, see what unfolds.

He's a hardy one... and there is always rum as a back up strategy.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:48   #163
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, the good news is that my brother and I have sailed together, traveled to lots of countries, endured 3rd world challenges, and even had to endure 3 hours driving lost in Paris. AFter all our adventures, sailing will be the easy trip. But, great idea to get him up at 3 am, see what unfolds.

I would not sweat it Wendi.. your in 'Day Sail Territory' now.. the only over nights are those you invent..
Enjoy the 'Hopping' and if you run into 'Levanter' (Lagoon 380) in St Martin say hello...
Rods a fair dinkum sport... as they allegedly say..

Old 11-01-2014, 09:49   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:

Sounds like you have all of your bases covered... !

RUM????? Hmmmm.... You don't say...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ai-118676.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc