Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 06:05   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
How to remove lines attaching mainsheet blocks to boom

(Repost from Yahoo groups, not sure how much cross pollination there is between each forum)

The mainsheet blocks are attached to my boom via straps of line that pass through an eyelet on the top of the boom. I need to remove this line without cutting it to use it again. (long story). I took the block off, then tried to pull the line out. I am not sure if it just swollen and inflexible from a long winter, or it actually a bit too large to pass thru, but when you pull on it and it gets to the end, when the 2 lines pinch together, they are really wedged in there.

I pulled with a lot of force, though was in an awkward position on the bimini. Tried wetting it. I am now thinking should have tried soap, but not sure I had some anyway.

But would like to know if you can pull it through, and if there is a trick, or if I would have to take the eyelet out. If so, I would think they put this screw in with locktite, probably need heat?

As to the long story, my mainsheet rubs against the bimini. I can move both of the straps back, there is another eyelet at the very aft of the boom that is not used. So I need to take both of these straps out and move them back another eyelet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topofboom.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	122847  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote