Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 05:53   #16

Boat: Allures 45
Re: How to keep dinghy from swinging/chafing?

Fenders - We do the same. Two fenders hung off the transom, and then hold the dingy against those. Seems to work fine.
Chicago, IL
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 15:32   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

We just did 390 nm up the east coast of Australia. Our dinghy was swinging a bit when we left Pittwater so rigged spring lines and a bow and stern line from the dinghy to aft cleats. Never squeeked or moved on the trip, despite being tagged hard on a few occasions by waves deflected from the transoms or hitting the dinghy hull directly. The only water that went into the dinghy was a few drops at a time.
I will be using some ratchet straps as a secondary support for offshore trips in the future as per Tuskie's post above.
Cheers,
Matt
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 11:46   #18

I very much appreciate the replies, and it's clear there are a number of different solutions.

So I showed up at the boat with two furniture ratchet straps, the two davit extension arms that came with the boat, and a renewed resolve.

And i don't feel like i really figured it out. i think perhaps I should give up sailing. or at least dinghying.

Do you think, if you don't mind taking the time, post a picture or two showing how you solved your issue? @enjaku, @Greene, how you mount those fenders? @timbenner, @faa50, your cool-sounding but complicated rigging scheme?

And thank you to @Scottster and @DavefromNZ for the pics (and so many other advicey things)
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:11   #19

The dinghy is supported by the normal lifting lines, the 25 mm S/S straps fore and aft hold the dinghy down and into the two permanently mounted rectangular pad fenders on the davits. Totally stopping any movement.

The 50 mm straps are only there when off shore in case the lifting lines chaff through and let the dinghy drop. They will hold it in place.

Nobody ever lost a dinghy off the back because they had to many lines attaching it.

The most important thing is stop it moving and rubbing this will prematurely wear the dinghy out.

I always raise it at night and just attach the 25mm straps this stops it swinging back and forth. (nothing more annoying than the gentle squeak of a dinghy in a quiet anchorage)

If you need to leave in a hurry at night at least it is secure to move and one less thing to worry about. Nothing worse than running over your own dinghy in the dark.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:10   #20

FYI While searching for fenders, I found these that fit really well, and are mighty affordable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XDB7O/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160807_120454.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	129160  
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:21   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
FYI While searching for fenders, I found these that fit really well, and are mighty affordable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XDB7O/

great thanks. copied your idea and works like charm. No movement at all even in rough seas.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy