Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2019, 11:13   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Help/Warning Eno oven is worst

I am fed up with the cheap and dangerous evo Eno oven in my galley. What have other owners replaced their oven with or researched replacing it with? My captain is extremely handy, so modifications are not an issue. I need to replace it and would like to stick with gas, as that’s my preferred method of cooking. Warning lagoon owners, after using the broiler several times without issue, the flame suddenly went off, and the kitchen filled with gas!!! This has been an issue I’ve heard about from others too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D06EB5A7-F2EA-4264-94F0-A01532DFDEA3.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	183932  
mary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 12:02   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
re: Help/Warning Eno oven is worst

Hello, mary9,

Sounds like a thermocouple failure. Buy a new one and put it in.

If you really are keen to have a whole new stove/oven combination, there are some very nice ones available out of Europe. Try Googling on marine stoves. Our own decision was a new Force 10 3 burner. It is hard to keep clean (lots of sharp, square corners), but it cooks okay. We've only had it a few months, and so far, it has done everything asked of it. However, we would like it better if at least one of its two small burners were a bit larger.

Ann
Old 16-01-2019, 12:22   #3

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

I guess you're referring to ENO, a French Brand for gas stoves? Or is this a Knockoff like Adisas shoes?
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 13:41   #4

Yes, I meant Eno but this is my first post and having issues with figuring out the editing.
Old 16-01-2019, 13:43   #5

The Force 10 is the same company as Eno so we are trying to stay away.
Old 16-01-2019, 15:22   #6

Boat: Voyage 430
Re: Help/Warning Eno oven is worst

I put a Dickenson in my last boat and it worked great, though the burner ignitors had crappy wiring. Mechanically it was great and never gave issues though. I would buy another.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 15:48   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve had my 2 burner Force-10 stove/oven now for over five years. Zero problems so far. We are full-timers for about 1/2 of each year. When on board we use the stove constantly, including a fair bit of baking.

I understand Eno took over Force-10, or vice versa. Seems like they’re maintaining the different lines though. Maybe the different lines are built to different quality standards/price points?

As Ann said, if your issue is only the one you mention, then it sounds like a simple swap of the thermocouple would solve the problem.
Old 16-01-2019, 15:57   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Looking at the picture posted, the stove isn't a typical gimballed marine stove. I wonder if it is one that is intended for RV use or such and does not have thermocouple safety devices on all the burners?

Jim
Old 16-01-2019, 16:07   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, again, mary9,

Here is a link to a manufacturer who might have something you'd like: https://www.gn-espace.com/yacht-gall...e-gas-cookers/

Ann
Old 16-01-2019, 16:17   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

The stove is simply an appliance, as with any appliance it should be regularly monitored when in use and requires maintenance when something fails. If the overall performance is not to your liking then source a new one from a different manufacturer, but really, is it correct to make the claim that you have without at least an attempt at repairing the apparent failure?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 17:50   #11

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Been using our TAYLORS 030 KERO since 2005. Simply love OLD SCHOOL items. Safety is paramount with us, the rest is icing.
Old 16-01-2019, 18:03   #12

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

This is interesting, I've got an old Luke Heritage, a hand built stove/oven made around 1980 by Paul Luke & Co, boatbuilders in Maine. The original propane burners don't have thermocouples. On my to do list this year is to replace the burners with modern Force 10's with thermocouples. I'm rethinking this now if ENO makes burners for Force 10. I would think if the thermocouple goes out the burner wouldn't work, otherwise what is the point? This isn't something I would put on my maintenance checklist.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 20:56   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
This is interesting, I've got an old Luke Heritage, a hand built stove/oven made around 1980 by Paul Luke & Co, boatbuilders in Maine. The original propane burners don't have thermocouples. On my to do list this year is to replace the burners with modern Force 10's with thermocouples. I'm rethinking this now if ENO makes burners for Force 10. I would think if the thermocouple goes out the burner wouldn't work, otherwise what is the point? This isn't something I would put on my maintenance checklist.
Force ten burners have conventional thermocouple driven safety valves. These things, when heated by the flame, generate a small electrical current. That current in turn opens the gas valve, enabling the burner. If the flame goes out, the electric current goes away and the valve reverts to its normal closed position, cutting off the gas flow. I don't believe that ANY current propane marine stoves lack this feature.

So, your understanding of the system is correct, and I surely applaud the plan to install the new burners. I'd be scared to death of your current set up.

Jim
Old 16-01-2019, 23:38   #14

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Looking at the picture posted, the stove isn't a typical gimballed marine stove. I wonder if it is one that is intended for RV use or such and does not have thermocouple safety devices on all the burners?

Jim
According to the manual, it meets Euro/German Certifications, so that's very unlikely.

I guess the thing is either broken or working perfectly fine. Some gas smell is to be expected if the flame goes out. Also, it is possible to extinguish only part of the flame. Can't tell from afar. Get it tested by somebody qualified.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 11:52   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Unlikely, Jim - the pic looks a typical catamaran installation. All recent boats I've delivered from France (Lagoons, Catana Balis etc) have Eno stoves/top burners and all are fitted with thermocouples.

I must admit that my heart sinks a bit when I see them: I have found that the ovens never get as hot as they should and the placing of the top burners can be awkward unless you've been careful with buying pots and pans to fit!

All rather surprising as the French are supposed to pride themselves on their culinary abilities...

Didn't know they had been taken over (or have themselves taken over) Force 10. They must be keeping the brands separate - I've always been happy with Force 10s!

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven