Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2019, 12:13   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help/Warning Eno oven is worst

We had an old Eno two burner with oven. It must have been based on something for a camping trailer or similar, because it had "feet" on it's four corners, to set on a bench top, although it was installed gimballed. It (from the 1970's) was an excellent stove, worked well, would accept a 6 k. turkey in the oven. Never had a problem with it, replaced the burners once. It could have been better insulated, but it was easy to clean, and easy to operate.

Our new Force 10 is a real challenge to keep looking clean, although the grille on which you set the pans comes out if you want it to, which helps sometimes, mostly, it swings up enough that I can get all around the burners. However, it is really fiddly to clean the stovetop, with a number of pesky phillips head screws to trap grease, and tight corners, just fiddly bits. It is polished stainless, and already scratched, and I've not used more than sponges and paper towels on it. Brushed stainless would be a better deal. Or, the old baked on enamel like the old Eno.

Apologies to mary_9 for the digression. Those Espace stoves look really nice. It seems CF member "Seaworthy Lass" has one installed in her new boat. She could tell you how it is working out.

Ann
Old 17-01-2019, 12:42   #17

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Force ten burners have conventional thermocouple driven safety valves. These things, when heated by the flame, generate a small electrical current. That current in turn opens the gas valve, enabling the burner. If the flame goes out, the electric current goes away and the valve reverts to its normal closed position, cutting off the gas flow. I don't believe that ANY current propane marine stoves lack this feature.

So, your understanding of the system is correct, and I surely applaud the plan to install the new burners. I'd be scared to death of your current si
Jim
The thermocouple on these stoves/ovens doesn't actually open the gas valve. The user has to push either the control knob for the stove top burner or a separate push button for the oven/broiler, against spring pressure, to allow gas to flow to the burner. Once the burner is lit and the thermocouple heats up, the very low voltage generated by opens a tiny actuator inside the gas valve, allowing gas to pressurize a diaphragm, and this is what keeps the gas flowing when the manual pressure is removed.

In the instance mentioned by the OP, if the gas was indeed still flowing, it would be the fault of the gas valve, not the thermocouple. But as somebody pointed out, it's quite possible that the valve and thermocouple did indeed work properly, and the OP smelled the minimal gas that would have escaped before the valve closed. The chemical oderant added to LPG is VERY strong, for the obvious purpose.
PS, it is worth mentioning that keeping the thermocouple clean crucial for proper operation. Any cooked-on crud will delay the heating process, making the user hold the knob in longer to light, and also delay cooling, possibly keeping the gas valve open a few seconds longer in the case of a flame out.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 13:13   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The thermocouple on these stoves/ovens doesn't actually open the gas valve. The user has to push either the control knob for the stove top burner or a separate push button for the oven/broiler, against spring pressure, to allow gas to flow to the burner. Once the burner is lit and the thermocouple heats up, the very low voltage generated by opens a tiny actuator inside the gas valve, allowing gas to pressurize a diaphragm, and this is what keeps the gas flowing when the manual pressure is removed.

In the instance mentioned by the OP, if the gas was indeed still flowing, it would be the fault of the gas valve, not the thermocouple. But as somebody pointed out, it's quite possible that the valve and thermocouple did indeed work properly, and the OP smelled the minimal gas that would have escaped before the valve closed. The chemical oderant added to LPG is VERY strong, for the obvious purpose.
PS, it is worth mentioning that keeping the thermocouple clean crucial for proper operation. Any cooked-on crud will delay the heating process, making the user hold the knob in longer to light, and also delay cooling, possibly keeping the gas valve open a few seconds longer in the case of a flame out.
Sorry, I wrote that poorly! Left out the initial manual stage of lighting the burner. Your description is much better.

Jim
Old 17-01-2019, 14:52   #19

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

Force 10 is owned by Eno but is still being built in BC, Canada. We have owned both and much prefer our Force 10.
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 15:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We have a GN Espace and it has been great, but it is expensive.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 17:23   #21

I have had several stoves on my boats from Kero, electric and gas. Although not the greatest quality my Eno has been very reliable and performs very well. I would buy another. Sounds like it just needs some attention to the safety cutoff thermo couple. Maybe a new one. Parts aren't that expensive either.

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 17:28   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I was wondering why you seem to be committed to gas.

Our old boat came with an old pressurized alcohol stove. I have a history with that type of stove and flare-ups, so replacement was the first item on our refit agenda.

We thought about gas, but met a couple who had an Origo 2000 (no oven) non-pressurized alcohol. Sure, it heats a quart of water maybe a minute longer than gas, but it is simple, rugged and no flares or risk of explosion. Very safe and the fuel is easy to find.

We ended up getting the Origo 6000 with oven. The oven works great and the top burners are simple, easy to keep clean and very safe. Stove costs about $1600 in 2013.

Just another idea.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 22:37   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library70 View Post
Force 10 is owned by Eno but is still being built in BC, Canada. We have owned both and much prefer our Force 10.
Eno purchased Force 10 about 10 or 12 years ago. All products are produced in France. All they have in North America is an office in BC and a warehouse in Carolina.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 12:04   #24

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

I hope you all don't mind me adding another ENO question but since you all know so much, I could use some sage advice.

I'm refitting an old Hess Cutter, with a lot of history. The galley has an old Luke Heritage stove that as I said before has old outdated burners. My thought is to take the old stove apart and replace all the gas burners with new ones. The old burners are very well crafted but don't have thermocouples or any safety devices.

I found replacement Force 10 burners here but the question is whether to rebuild the venerable old Heritage or just buy a new stove. The cost appears to be about the same. Is this something a skilled DIY person can take on or should I leave it to the professionals if I have it rebuilt?
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 15:24   #25
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Force ten burners have conventional thermocouple driven safety valves. These things, when heated by the flame, generate a small electrical current. That current in turn opens the gas valve, enabling the burner. If the flame goes out, the electric current goes away and the valve reverts to its normal closed position, cutting off the gas flow. I don't believe that ANY current propane marine stoves lack this feature.

So, your understanding of the system is correct, and I surely applaud the plan to install the new burners. I'd be scared to death of your current set up.

Jim
One little difference on a thermocouple. The current doesn't open the valve, it keeps it open. If it generates enough current to open a valve it's called a powerpile. Generally, if there is no flame on the thermocouple and the gas valve still allows gas to flow, the gas valve is bad.
Old 22-01-2019, 17:06   #26

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary9 View Post
I am fed up with the cheap and dangerous evo Eno oven in my galley. What have other owners replaced their oven with or researched replacing it with? My captain is extremely handy, so modifications are not an issue. I need to replace it and would like to stick with gas, as that’s my preferred method of cooking. Warning lagoon owners, after using the broiler several times without issue, the flame suddenly went off, and the kitchen filled with gas!!! This has been an issue I’ve heard about from others too
Ours has been working fine for 7 years. Sounds like your needs a service.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 08:44   #27

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

Have had two-burner Eno for two years. Only problem: push-button spark lighter failed (tried replacing battery). I can live with that.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 21:48   #28

Boat: 450S

A look over the L46 recently indicates Lagoon now installing Force 10 ovens...still ENO stove top however.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 21:59   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
A look over the L46 recently indicates Lagoon now installing Force 10 ovens...still ENO stove top however.
Same company but different name. Eno bought Force 10 over a decade ago. Stoves are all manufactured in France.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 23:12   #30

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I removed all propane on board except a deck bottle for the BBQ with regular kittchen appliances - induction cooktop and convection oven. See link below.

Tags
oven