Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 11:22   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Fun Qs for 400 S2 Owners

So we recently took delivery of a Lagoon 400 S2, Hull #453.

Yes, thanks, we are having a great time learning the boat. Options included: Square-top main, all electronics, port forward berth, comfort package, full helm bimini.

And i have a number of offbeat questions for fellow 400 owners:

1. Where does your salon layout look like? For example, where do your store your food? I am surprised by the lack of a pantry (we have both fridge and freezer). Could you even perhaps post a picture of your salon?

2. Where did you put your microwave, if you even have one? Do you put it in the microwave cabinet (which seems much more useful for storage than hiding the appliance)? Did you put it on top of the cabinet?

3. If you installed a TV, where did you put it? Seems like an obvious place is next to the oven. I'm thinking it could slide behind the oven when not in use to hide it out of the way.

4. Has anyone installed a washing machine in the boat? Did you put it in the starboard hull upper cabinet, where I think it is designed to go? What type did you install?

5. Did you fiddle with the lighting or install new lights? I find the salon lights way too bright for the evening, I'm playing with a dimmer for the rope lights. I'd also like to find a way to do some color. And I'd like to consider some outside mood lights for the steps.

That's all for now. happy to answer questions about our experiences so far as well.

Richard
Aria's Song 400 S2 #453
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 13:06   #2

Re: Fun Qs for 400 S2 Owners

Richard,

Welcome to the club! We have L400S2 #320.

For your galley questions…

We really enjoy cooking on our boat. With a little time and effort we are able to create and serve literally anything we want. We store food in all the normal places—under the settees, in baskets above the oven, under the washing machine (we have the owner’s version, so it’s starboard side, just in front of the head), and under the bench seat on the owner’s side. All the wine goes under the floorboards (along with emergency 5 liter bottles of water), and we stack cases of beer in the owner’s stateroom—that way I can keep my eye on it!!

Our microwave is on the port side, above the freezer. We rarely use it. We have some square baskets for storage on top of the microwave and oven.

Our TV is on a hinged mount on the side of the oven.

I think I'm going to swap square plates for my round ones. I don't really like square plates, but if I do it right they'll stow better, and maybe compliment the style of the interior.

We have only used our washing machine once. The on/off button keeps coming dislodged, we’ve fixed it twice. My brother has a cute little plastic hand washing machine thing that looks more efficient. I’d love to have that space for storage…

I have not played with the lighting in the salon, but a dimmer is a good idea. I put a cheap (but not too obnoxious) battery powered LED on the bottom of the cabinet over the stove which works well at saving our night vision. Its white, but a red one would probably be better

Mood lighting for the steps sounds good, but I’m saving my money for other boat jewelry. We did install underwater lights on the transoms, pretty cool in clear shallow water.

Cheers,

Bill
Beach View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:53   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Can't help much but congrats on the new boat ...enjoy! We have no washing machine, no tv, no microwave, no freezer (so 2 slide out pantries for food). Lighting is ok, sometimes we fire up the battery candles for mood lighting. A bit of back up food goes under the salon seats (extra pasta, rice, tinned stuff) also no genset so under that seat has a lot of space for food in tubs and usually holds a few dozen cans of Coke and alcohol etc.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 22:55   #4

For saloon lighting, my 400 (hull #90) has been retro fitted with LED lights and a Hella Marine dimmer. One group for saloon lights, the other for cockpit lights.

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/produc...ht-dimmer.html

Ideally it should have momentary action switches, but the stock standard Lagoon switches work ok.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 18:09   #5

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Welcome Richard

I have hull # 315 and she is in the Pacific Northwest.
My plans are to drop the lines next year and head off for a long time.
Having that in mind I have tried to make my L400 more of a liveaboard boat.
Yes I have a washing machine coming, I have taken the microwave box out and a Bosch washing machine will take its place, it's ordered and the work has begun.
Now that the micro wave is not in the cupboard I relocated it in my new workshop.
I have sacrificed the forward Port stateroom and converted it into a workshop.
The work shop has all the tools, spares, ice maker, freezer, nut and bolts, fishing gear, vacuum, a charging station, vice. I will send photos later.
I also coated all the bilges with bilge coat and installed a sub floor so I can store stuff under the floor and still have a bilge under that, photos to come.
I do not have a TV, we have a big Apple computer and stream stuff.
I am away from my boat for the day so pictures to follow.
Again welcome aboard and feel the love
Scott

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 18:11   #6

Here is the under floor storageClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1447294304.099142.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	112816

Old 11-11-2015, 18:13   #7

This is the start of the shop, by no way is she done.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1447294408.571904.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	112817

Old 11-11-2015, 18:32   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 18:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

This is a funny thread for those of us sailors that own multihulls. Your questions would more easily applied to a condo/homebuilder than a boatbuilder.

Where do I put the microwave? In your flat at the old folks home next to the walker!
Old 11-11-2015, 19:25   #10
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

It's a man cave 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 12-11-2015, 03:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
This is a funny thread for those of us sailors that own multihulls. Your questions would more easily applied to a condo/homebuilder than a boatbuilder.

Where do I put the microwave? In your flat at the old folks home next to the walker!
Here we go again! "Real Sailors" don't have microwaves.

They live on deck, wash in sea spray and eat raw flying fish! Of course all done while sailing at 20 knots, hard on the wind.

Get used to it Whomda, us Lagoon owners aren't real sailors.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 10:24   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another fun question...has anyone weighed their L400?
We relaunched the other day and the travel lift operator told us we were 3200lb (1450kg) 14.5 tonne (16 ton)
Surprisingly heavy and hoping the travel lift scale is out of whack considering we don't have much personal weight on board, maybe a couple of tonne...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Another fun question...has anyone weighed their L400?
We relaunched the other day and the travel lift operator told us we were 3200lb (1450kg) 14.5 tonne (16 ton)
Surprisingly heavy and hoping the travel lift scale is out of whack considering we don't have much personal weight on board, maybe a couple of tonne...
I did this summer. Got very similar result.
There were almost full water tank and half full fuel tank, plus a dinghy, plus the usual junk (extra sails, extra lines, second anchor, etc., etc...)
Then, we have a generator that adds some weight.
I am not sure what is included in ship's weight that is specified by Lagoon (and called 'light ship weight').
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun