Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2012, 03:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Fuel Problem/Starvation D2-55 Engine

I recently had a problem with (Port side only) Running along nicely on one engine (Port)... Zero wind. Cruising at about 2000 RPM, the revs start to go up and down between 2000 and about 1200. Take her out of gear, rev the engine no issues, back in gear same problem. Shut the engine down, drain the course filter water trap, tried again same problem. I then changed the fuel filter bled the system and tried again.. Bingo problem solved. The problem is the fuel and filter looked very clean??. We were moving from Ibiza to Gibraltar so the following day still on engines. 30 hours after changing the filter same problem. I am in 60+ miles offshore so just change the filter, hey presto problem solved. I can hear you all saying dirty fuel, yet it and the filter look spotless, this is 2 filters in 60 hours.

My plan is to remove the fuel, clean it, inspect the tank and see where I go from there.

On my previous boat I sometimes had minor problems over the 10 years I had her, but the at least the filter and water trap showed something you could see had caused the problem.

Are the D2-55s very sensitive to fuel cleanliness, and one had a similar experience.

I have only had the boat for 5 months and apart from that & I have put 150 hours on the engines (due to many occasions of the classic little wind in the Med) and they appear to be good engines, my first experience with Volvo & sail drives with folding props, which are good.

Angels of Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 06:16   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Fuel Problem/Starvation D2-55 Engine

Is the tank venting ok? Had similar problem years ago and it was the breather blocked and the tank was going into vacuum.

Had another similar issue and it was the return line valve (a simple ball bearing on a seat) in a CAV type filter, it had a spring loading pressure on it moulded into the top of the Filter, this seat got a little bit of crap/rust on it and effectively stopped the release valve from operating this caused the engine to stall out as it flooded.... Check return line from the end of the 'injectors excess fuel line' to the pump IF your engine has similar system...
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote

engine, fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: