Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 14:07   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Forward Locker drain?

Just came back to the boat and the forward locker - where we typically store the storm anchor, fenders and dock lines - is flooded (I know why). I am referring to the locker under the seat in the forward cockpit aft of the anchor locker (which is well drained). There does not seem to be a drain hole(s) for this locker or for the locker on the port side - and not sure about under the generator locker to starboard. Drilled a couple of weep holes expecting it to drain out - but no sign of the water level dropping. So i am loath to drill anymore holes. Are these lockers drained on your 450? What do you suggest - as it seems reasonable that these lockers should be well drained.
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 03:49   #2

Boat: Lagoon 50
Re: Forward Locker drain?

Our 450 does not have a drain. I wonder where the water from your weeping hole will drain to?
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:25   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
Our 450 does not have a drain. I wonder where the water from your weeping hole will drain to?
That’s a good question! I was going to ask the source of the water but your question has far more entertainment value!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:36   #4

Boat: Lagoon 50

The source of the water maybe wind driven rain as that locker has no positive sealing gasket.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 09:33   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

you didn't want to try a mop and bucket before you drilled a hole in your boat?
Old 24-11-2018, 09:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstent View Post
Just came back to the boat and the forward locker - where we typically store the storm anchor, fenders and dock lines - is flooded (I know why). Drilled a couple of weep holes expecting it to drain out - but no sign of the water level dropping. So i am loath to drill anymore holes. Are these lockers drained on your 450? What do you suggest - as it seems reasonable that these lockers should be well drained.
If you know where the water is coming from why not just fix that? Drilling random holes (and they must have been random since they did not work!) seems like a really bad idea on a boat.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 17:09   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you know where the water is coming from why not just fix that? Drilling random holes (and they must have been random since they did not work!) seems like a really bad idea on a boat.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I just figure these lockers should drain. The source of (fresh) water I believe was the locker being left open while some work was being done while the boat was on the hard here for the last five months in Grenada. Yep - moped it all dry went around the bottom of the island in some pretty choppy conditions and it had filled up again with about 20 litres of manky fresh water. Removed the wooden baffle at the front of the locker to reveal the compartment under the fwd cockpit floor where the twin floor drains exit and found this was also full with 15-20 litres - again this does not self drain. Currently pumping out area under floor of that front locker through one of the weep holes (which did not drain when originally drilled) so far have evacuated about 25 litres and believe much more down there - will keep you posted. This water is not coming from poor seals around the hatch gaskets - I know that problem and have addressed it previously. Hope this is useful info for those owners who may experience accidental flooding of these compartments and interested in where the water goes even if you mop up the obvious evidence.
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 22:16   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

try putting some water with food colouring down the stainless drain of the fwd seating area. See if that's your leak.