Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 06:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Extra water tank vs watermaker

Just committed to purchase Hull 460 at the boat show">Miami Boat Show. One option I'm a little hung up on is having Lagoon install the factory water maker and lose the extra port water tank (46 gal) or have the water maker installed after market by a supplier near the factory who can keep the xtra water tank by installing it elsewhere. I'm not sure, but I think they told me in one of the engine compartments. Lagoon tells me they will cut the through-hulls in the production process and allow the supplier to install before putting in the water. How important is the extra water tank and is installing the water maker in the engine compartment a good place/idea?
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:20   #2

Re: Extra water tank vs watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
Just committed to purchase Hull 460 at the Miami Boat Show. One option I'm a little hung up on is having Lagoon install the factory water maker and lose the extra port water tank (46 gal) or have the water maker installed after market by a supplier near the factory who can keep the xtra water tank by installing it elsewhere. I'm not sure, but I think they told me in one of the engine compartments. Lagoon tells me they will cut the through-hulls in the production process and allow the supplier to install before putting in the water. How important is the extra water tank and is installing the water maker in the engine compartment a good place/idea?
I would much rather have the water than the water maker. I have two tanks on my cat and either one can supply the boat and they haven't broken down in 32 years with this boat. Please consider the failure modes and the planned boat usage in your decision.
eric42p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:28   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

personally I would go for the aftermarket install, and avoid the heat of the engine compartment at all costs.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:29   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

congratulations on the boat.Id skip the factory installed and fit one aftermarket. Some Lagoon options are priced decently and some are over the top. I think the factory fitted would likely be a Desolator D60 or D100 for around EU12000. A better more efficient unit could be fitted for under EU9000 and fitted out of the way, under the floors or in a locker, or under a berth. IF you are picking it up from the factory Uchimata in La rochelle is a good option for having it installed. If its being delivered to the USA wait and have a spectra fitted after it arrives.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:11   #5
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
Just committed to purchase Hull 460 at the Miami Boat Show. One option I'm a little hung up on is having Lagoon install the factory water maker and lose the extra port water tank (46 gal) or have the water maker installed after market by a supplier near the factory who can keep the xtra water tank by installing it elsewhere. I'm not sure, but I think they told me in one of the engine compartments. Lagoon tells me they will cut the through-hulls in the production process and allow the supplier to install before putting in the water. How important is the extra water tank and is installing the water maker in the engine compartment a good place/idea?
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PURCHASE!!! I have the same model with watermaker installed in the stbd forward sleeping compartment that will never be used except for storage.. I am not sure why you would need to give up one water tank and recommend you keep it. Unless you plan on keeping the boat at marinas most of the time max water storage "and" watermaker are essential for comfortable cruising.
My boat has two water tanks of 46 gallons each port and stbd which Ithink is the max you can have. Our watermaker is rated for 20 gallons/hr and makes quick work of re filling the tanks. This gives you a lot of independence especially if you have a few guests on board not familiar with cruising and use water as they would at home.
enjoy!!!
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:27   #6

I see no problem with the water maker in the engine compartment. Mine was, but it was engine driven.. Unless they are saving you some money I would keep the extra tank... even though you may not want to use it unless going on a long ocean crossing.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 12:50   #7

First Up congratulations on the purchase.
Go after Market. I had a 45 gal per Hour unit installed with the original 4 x 46 Gal tanks still in place.
In Australia all up including slipping boat, supply and Installation $15.5K A.U.D.
Pumps and raw water filters installed Starboard side in Bilge area, Membrane filters under floor aft of pumps. Control unit under Owners Bathroom cupboard with test point plumbed to sink. Instead of Plumbing Water maker to both Port and Starboard tanks with change over valve. I have a simple valve from fresh water line to Port tank so when it is empty can transfer from Starboard to port via fresh water pressure pump.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 18:16   #8

Congratulations on your purchase!
You will get a lot of opinions and I will just offer the reasons why I went for the factory installed option.

I have hull nr 304 with the Dessalator DUO100 installed which is installed in the fwd port hull where the FW tank would have been placed. The Dessalator has worked great for the last year without any issues and is easy to maintain and operate and filters are cheap and readily available. We are cruising liveaboards (3 persons) so use it constantly. We also passage and are presently in the Maldives.

These are my reasons for taking the factory option:

- having 175L, or 1.7Te, of water out of the port hull assists in keeping my bows sinking further into the waves during passage. I keep my bow storage light!
- the factory option comes under the overall warranty. If i have an issue within 2 yrs I can call one person who will support.
- I don't have to take the boat out of the water to install a thru-hull as it was done in the factory. Good news if lagoon is offering to drill your thruhull.
- For the 3 of us, the 525L we have (3 x 175L tanks) is quite sufficient and I run the WM on average every 2nd day for approx 3hrs. I always maintain one tank in full condition for safety and alternate this out every 2nd or 3rd week. We are conscious of our water use but don't skimp and could be more efficient with water use if needed.
- We use the storage compartment behind the engines for a dive compressor, spares storage (I carry a lot of spares) and spare oil drums. Again keeping the weight to the stern.

Good luck with your choice. You'll love your 450!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:46   #9

Opps....175L is 175kg, not 1.75Te. duh!

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Old 17-02-2015, 07:05   #10

Thanks everyone. Other than Emerald, everyone was in favor of keeping the water tank, although Emerald raises some good points on warranty issues.

We will be taking delivery in La Rochelle. We are visiting the factory in April to finalize this WM issue. We want the WM installed before we leave La Rochelle. Monte, thanks for the Uchimata recommendation. Lagoon informed me they work with a local supplier to install an after market WM. They will cut the though-hulls and let the supplier complete the installation before she goes in the water.

I'll know more after the factory visit and report back to CF.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 11:44   #11

"Opps....175L is 175kg, not 1.75Te."

Steve I assumed you had opted for the Heavy Water Desalanator version.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:08   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

its just as easy to drive up on the ramp in La Rochelle at mid tide and have Pierre at Uchmata fit the throughull between tides, unless Lagoon will fit it for free..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:04   #13

I have the standard Lagoon Dessalator with one water tank missing so 525lts. My opinion would be to keep the water tank and fit a modular Spectra water maker. However my set up is 100% fine as is. The reality is after about 2-3 days you are going to start to need to make water. The crew and I go through it fast with 4 showers and a flow rate of 9ltrs/min. So It does not matter if you have 375ltrs or 1000ltrs that only delays the inevitable water making.

The advantages of the Dessalator Duo100 are it works of 240V (gen) or 12V (eng). It uses about 50A so could be run of an inverter but with a big draw. It seems reliable but a little fiddly in the first 10 minutes as the pressure builds up and it cuts out if not tweaked back. I find it noisy.

I think that the L450 is just a fantastic yacht that ticks all the boxes, I love the boat. It is generally well built and set up. Having said that I, like Rolf, have done over 200 improvements, repairs and maintenance fixes. The one I believe the best I have done is the Leisure Furl. I believe it is crazy to put up with the stupid mess of the stack pack and lazy jacks on a very high boom when the Leisure Furl and main would cost little more on a new Lagoon. Some though on my thread;

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-132743.html

Enjoy the L450, we all do! Dave
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 13:27   #14

Dave,
Id be most interested to hear of your "200 improvements, repairs and maintenance fixes". As an obsessive-compulsive, I too continue to improve my 450 so any tips to ward of the inevitable hiccups would be most welcome.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Old 10-03-2015, 13:45   #15

Hands down. Aftermarket or factory installed go with the extra tank!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker