Congratulations on your purchase!
You will get a lot of opinions and I will just offer the reasons why I went for the factory installed option.
I have hull nr 304 with the Dessalator DUO100 installed which is installed in the fwd port hull where the FW tank would have been placed. The Dessalator has worked great for the last year without any issues and is easy to maintain and operate and filters are cheap
and readily available. We are cruising liveaboards (3 persons) so use it constantly. We also passage
and are presently in the Maldives
These are my reasons for taking the factory option:
- having 175L, or 1.7Te, of water out of the port hull assists in keeping my bows sinking further into the waves during passage
. I keep my bow storage light!
- the factory option comes under the overall warranty. If i have an issue within 2 yrs I can call one person who will support.
- I don't have to take the boat out of the water to install a thru-hull as it was done in the factory. Good news if lagoon is offering to drill your thruhull.
- For the 3 of us, the 525L we have (3 x 175L tanks) is quite sufficient and I run the WM on average every 2nd day for approx 3hrs. I always maintain one tank in full condition for safety
and alternate this out every 2nd or 3rd week. We are conscious of our water use but don't skimp and could be more efficient with water use if needed.
- We use the storage compartment behind the engines for a dive compressor
, spares storage (I carry a lot of spares) and spare oil
drums. Again keeping the weight to the stern.
Good luck with your choice. You'll love your 450!