Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 23:12   #1

Extra/Crew Cabins on a L380 S2

Hello,

After sailing over the Atlantic with friends on a (rusty) steel monohull the family has decided that we are going to upgrade our 30" monohull to a Lagoon 380 and we have found two possible boats at (almost) resonable prices. The difference is that the owners-version is much more well equipped with extra aft. anchor, super-heater-systems (but lack a bimini) while the charter-version has the extra cabin and a very good bimini.

Our question now is if any of you have any experience or/and photos of creating extra cabins of the front lockers? Ive seen som sketches of these 10-person lagoon 380's like the one attached but are wondering if they are actually usable.

The reason for the question is that we will mostly (80%) sail with our 2 adult/2 kid-family but want to have the possiblity to invite another 2+2 family during maybe 2 week sailing adventures over the north sea and the baltic sea.

Any feedback or photos you might have are welcome!

BR,
The S/Y-BARIT-PROJECT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon_380_crew_cabins.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	88736  
sy-barit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 23:33   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Re: Extra/Crew Cabins on a L380 S2

It depends. How so you feel about sleeping in a coffin? How do you feel about your guests sleeping in a coffin.

Those forward cabins are for charter crew who put in a hard days work. And then crash when it's time to sleep. So don't particularly care about accommodations.

Our OV lagoon 380 has them and I use it as storage only. It's not very well ventilated so unless you are willing to install additional portholes it would be in humane for anyone to sleep up there.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 23:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy-barit View Post
Hello,

After sailing over the Atlantic with friends on a (rusty) steel monohull the family has decided that we are going to upgrade our 30" monohull to a Lagoon 380 and we have found two possible boats at (almost) resonable prices. The difference is that the owners-version is much more well equipped with extra aft. anchor, super-heater-systems (but lack a bimini) while the charter-version has the extra cabin and a very good bimini.

Our question now is if any of you have any experience or/and photos of creating extra cabins of the front lockers? Ive seen som sketches of these 10-person lagoon 380's like the one attached but are wondering if they are actually usable.

The reason for the question is that we will mostly (80%) sail with our 2 adult/2 kid-family but want to have the possiblity to invite another 2+2 family during maybe 2 week sailing adventures over the north sea and the baltic sea.

Any feedback or photos you might have are welcome!

BR,
The S/Y-BARIT-PROJECT
Put the kids in the forward lockers and give their room to the guests.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 00:48   #4

Thanks for both of your inputs.

We will most probably lock our own or our guest-kids in there and add a hatch/opening to the shower or forward cabin if we go down this route.

Additional imput is very welcome. Especially if somebody care to comment on the construction of this emergency cabin.

//SY-BARIT
Old 25-09-2014, 00:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy-barit View Post
Thanks for both of your inputs.

We will most probably lock our own or our guest-kids in there and add a hatch/opening to the shower or forward cabin if we go down this route.

Additional imput is very welcome. Especially if somebody care to comment on the construction of this emergency cabin.

//SY-BARIT
For me, boating is about the fun of being on a boat. Its not just about good accommodation and showers and A/C. You can make a nice sleeping area, with ventilation and believe me, everyone will love it.

As a 20 something, 7 of us piled into a 30 footer with seaberths and slept all over the place....... one toilet and an outside (cold shower)....... not suggesting you go this far, we loved it.

Make the vessel with a nice sleeping area, small though it may be and that will be fine. Its your home and made for you and yours. If people come and stay with me at my house, I have pull out beds and blow up beds..... the company is what its about.

Just my observations on hospitality.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 02:36   #6

Remove the table in the saloon and chuck it in the forward locker. Kids can sleep there. 2 weeks is a long time to keep kids in the most uncomfortable cabin in the boat. It's guaranteed to make them never wanting to go sailing with you again.

My mom thought it would be great for us to visit some of the family in the blue mountains of Jamaica. For 2 weeks. Shitting in an outhouse and bathing in the creek got old very fast.

I've spent a few hours cleaning and organizing that cabin. Sleeping up there for 2 weeks is no bueno. They are kids, they don't have a choice and they can't get drunk to pass the time either.

Leave it for the crew and young adults. Use it for storage or the kids sleep in your cabin and you can "camp" up there.

Old 25-09-2014, 22:42   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think that the two front lockers are constructed to serve as crush compartments and as such are separated from the rest of the boat with watertight bulkheads.
Probably there are hoses installed under the floors, connecting these areas to the hulls bilges, hoses with option to close and open, as required if there is a water ingress into these lockers.

If you open doors between the front cabins and the bow lockers, these doors should be of watertight hatch type, to keep the function of the bow lockers as a crush area and avoid the danger of flooding the boat through these doors.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The construction is easy. There are longitudinal ribs either side of the bow
Locker. You just need a sheet of 16mm ply, cut to shape and sit on the ribs. Make an access section in that about 600x600mm to access the lower section right below the hatch. It's a 1/2 day job. No real need for a hatch through to the cabins. I wouldn't want to sleep there underway but kids would be fine at anchor or in a marina.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 22:58   #9

Thanks for all your feedback.

As this is supposed to primarily be an extra bed when at anchor we will take our chance with constructing a extra bed at the largest front compartment (which is quite large comming from a 30" monohull with 2 kids). I will try to document the construction and might later post a "how-I-did-it" here later.

With this in mind we have just placed an offer on athree-cabin-L380 (Hull #509) here in Sweden. We are now just waiting for the surveyor to do his work.

BR,
Jan@ S/Y-Barit
Old 10-10-2014, 05:44   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good luck. One other thing, the inside is bare glass which may smell a bit so probably best to apply some flow coat over it beforehand as well. Some throw over fly screens should work for ventilation. You would definitely need to leave the hatch open as it's airtight. There's a 12v connection in there somewhere for a light as well.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06   #11

Ahh! that explains the "boat" smell up there. I took everything out our forward locker to let them air out and to get rid of that odor. Emptied all the way to the bilge, which was dry, and still the smell persisted. A few hours of cleaning in mild temperatures and I came to the conclusion that it would suck to spend any extended amount of time there. It got hot and was smelly and stuffy.

If I was crew and getting paid to sleep up there I'd probably find every reason to minimize bunk time. At least you go home with cash.

Those crew beds came in handy as sunbeds on the canopy. I wish the hatch was a little wider.

Tags
cabin, crew