Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 10:36   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: External antenna installation tips

L450, however good location as clear of all ropes. The aerial is essential and my iridium went from about 3 bar strength randomly to solid 5 about 95% of the time with the aerial.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3903.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	164292
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:59   #17

Boat: lagoon 400s2

Thanks for the photos arsenelupiga, interesting to see how you did the installation ! I will follow this thread for your report on performance of the antenna ...
Happy sailing !
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:26   #18

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
Thanks for the photos arsenelupiga, interesting to see how you did the installation ! I will follow this thread for your report on performance of the antenna ...
Happy sailing !
As promised, finally completed setup and here are test results !!

Compare reception using antenna on the roof as per pic I sent (see couple posts earlier), vs having antenna behind nav desk on window shelf like Tuskie.

If anything, performance without antenna was better

This are my results and only couple of attempts. It is possible L 400 has friendly spot so no antenna needed.

Will continue comparing and if no advantage noticed over longer period, will throw antenna away as it interferes with reefing when one takes 2 reefs in one go.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
As promised, finally completed setup and here are test results !!

Compare reception using antenna on the roof as per pic I sent (see couple posts earlier), vs having antenna behind nav desk on window shelf like Tuskie.

If anything, performance without antenna was better

This are my results and only couple of attempts. It is possible L 400 has friendly spot so no antenna needed.

Will continue comparing and if no advantage noticed over longer period, will throw antenna away as it interferes with reefing when one takes 2 reefs in one go.
Hi there, just curious if you had any update on the performance? Did you ultimately throw the internal away? Or did you notice a strong performance gain.
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 22:51   #20

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinfla2 View Post
Hi there, just curious if you had any update on the performance? Did you ultimately throw the internal away? Or did you notice a strong performance gain.
i kept it. Currently sailing south pacific and satellites are scarce. Downloading 150kb worth of weather forecast takes already 15 minutes. Add some bad weather, clouds and even small signal gain matters. I have added thin rope for reefing lines to stay away. Also holder made from soft plastic to give if by some magic reefing line catches it. Works without a problem. Never had a problem downloading weather.

Almost forgot: IT LOOKS COOL !
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:24   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

in case this interests anyone, we crossed the Atlantic with our iGo (forecasts every 6 hours plus emails, even sending photos to ARC race control for their blog plus phone calls from your iPhone of course!) and sailed the whole of the Caribbean up to Miami using for weather and email every day.

We have no antenna and no probs. Sometimes i move the Go from it's cradle at the nav desk and sit it on the window seal but as it's battery operated, this is no prob.

It's a great bit of kit and essential for any crossing IMO.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:29   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

in case this interests anyone, we crossed the Atlantic with our iGo (forecasts every 6 hours plus emails, even sending photos to ARC race control for their blog plus phone calls from your iPhone of course!) and sailed the whole of the Caribbean up to Miami using for weather and email every day.

We have no antenna and no probs. Sometimes i move the Go from it's cradle at the nav desk and sit it on the window seal but as it's battery operated, this is no prob.

It's a great bit of kit and essential for any crossing IMO.
Old 25-06-2022, 07:15   #23

Hi everyone... circling back on this old thread, I'm curious if there are any updated remarks as to whether or not the antenna is beneficial or not. My research is showing almost 50/50... so I'm hesitant to purchase at this point.

Thanks!

Chris.
TopherTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, installation