Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 23:38   #1

Engine Control and Engine Locker Locks

Hi,
We have made a first longer visit to (we hope) our new 2008 Lagoon 380 S2 and found some details that need attendance. Most problems are easily solved. Two however are still remaining.

1. Broken enginee room locker lock
The lock to the starboard engine locker is broken and missing (just the lock cylinder). I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the manufacturer or even better – where you could order a new set of cylinders here in Europe?

2. The starboard side engine control (the lever itself) is not stuck but much much harder than the port engine control lever. I also talked to another Lagoon owner here in Sweden who has the same problem. Do any of you recognize the problem? Has anybody a suggested solution?

BR,
SY-Barit
sy-barit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Re: Engine Control and Engine Locker Locks

This is often caused by the control cable starting to seize up, or the control lever assembly needing a friction adjustment.

If you have Volvo Penta controls as on my Lagoon 410 with Yanmars, the friction adjustment is easy. My memory is a bit hazy but you prise the cover off and a small adjuster screw is clearly visible and obvious - one for each control (allen key type I think). You may need to remove the handles.

There has to be enough friction to stop it slipping back to idle.

If that does not resolve it, then the cable is the most likely culprit. Remove from each end and see if it slides easily. If not, they ae normally just replaced rather than trying to free them up. They are a common item and readily available in the length you need. I paid about $50 2 years ago.

If replacing the cable, it's a good idea to pull a line through with the end, so you can pull the new cable back the same way.
Old 13-10-2014, 04:26   #3

Boat: Leopard 50

Our 440 had a cable connection arm / morse cable rubbing on the timber mount ..... until it fell off and left us stuck in forward in a marina ! Might be worth tracing the cable run to find the point of friction.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boardshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 01:38   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy-barit View Post

2. The starboard side engine control (the lever itself) is not stuck but much much harder than the port engine control lever. I also talked to another Lagoon owner here in Sweden who has the same problem. Do any of you recognize the problem? Has anybody a suggested solution?

BR,
SY-Barit

The starboard control cables are longer and "bent" more times than the port. Change them to Extreeme cables - the ones with teflon inside.
Lars
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:39   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420

On my 420 I discovered the starboard throttle cable had worked its way between the steering sheaves L bracket and the fiberglass it was bolted to. It looked fine but when I tried to move it, it was wedged very tight. I finally worked it out and delightfully my very stiff starboard control was light and friendly again. I now have a stop so it won't work it's way back in again.

- Paul
Seaqul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:37   #6

Boat: Lagoon 38

Replaced the starboard cable on my 380. Not a big deal with a friend to help. Its a long run but not that hard to run the cable. I started by taping the new cable to the old one from the helm and pulling it into the engine compartment. Make sure all the zip ties and connectors are removed prior to pulling the old cable out and the new one in.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine