Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 13:57   #16

Re: Down wind sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Furled sails are easy - see NEX: the new generation of flying sail furlers by Profurl - YouTube
and
http://youtu.be/mo5l4r2N14g
The furler can be left attached to the sail if you want - furl it, drop it, roll it up into the bag. No harder than a sock, and more compact.
Wowww....
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:16   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
worry is warranted.

Worst case scenario should be worked out, say wind increase to 50 kn in < 30 secs.

Just have to release the whole thing and let go.
Yes, well in that case the sock won't help me either I suppose. Actually, some kind of quick release on the foot might be a good idea for the current setup...

Matt
Old 23-01-2015, 14:37   #18

Boat: Dragon

Down wind sails on a furler are great just for the simple fact that you get it out more often due to the ease of use. How many times have conditions been perfect to bust the bag out but you just couldn't be bothered?
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 20:26   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yes, well in that case the sock won't help me either I suppose. Actually, some kind of quick release on the foot might be a good idea for the current setup...

Matt
i have experienced this type of changes (motoring). 1 is enough to ruin the party or more with large sail on.

i dont think one can rely on sharp senses to detect it every time in time. Maybe on 2 hours sail... but then, fun is fun

I am guessing most reliable would be cut spinnaker halyard rope in front of winch/clutch so have suitable knife/axe close by to handle rope. Letting rope go by releasing winch in a hurry may cause all sorts of issues if one is not disciplined.

Getting large sail under boat is not good but i guess smaller evil than mast breakage or boat flip where people can die.

any hints on ultimate spinnaker release ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 00:10   #20

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A Rocket Flare through the middle of the sail...

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-01-2015, 00:24   #21

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

More seriously we used to trail the halyard tail in the water behind us before we released the halyad on one boat. Stopped tangles and slowed its speed of release to enable us to gather it in before it hit the water if we where real quick.

Pineapple sails has a great link hear showing a neat cockpit tripping system for a kite. http://www.pineapplesails.com/articl...k/downwind.htm

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-01-2015, 05:00   #22

would you let whole halyard go ? or have stopper knot at the end ? Maybe worth having exact rope length & stopper so sail full released and also winch can be used for retrieval. IF shorthanded or couple, no way to retrieve sail before falls in water.

release from article, not a bad idea.

if having real bad day, both can be deployed.

i'll be testing both a bit. thanks.
Old 24-01-2015, 07:25   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
would you let whole halyard go ? or have stopper knot at the end ? Maybe worth having exact rope length & stopper so sail full released and also winch can be used for retrieval. IF shorthanded or couple, no way to retrieve sail before falls in water.

release from article, not a bad idea.

if having real bad day, both can be deployed.

i'll be testing both a bit. thanks.
If you do not have a stopper wouldn't you have to go up-mast to rethread the halyard?
Old 24-01-2015, 08:47   #24

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

something to consider is dead-down-wind isnt usually the fastest and is rarely a comfortable point of sail. apparent drops which can make for a hot and muggy day. the boat rolls decreasing comfort and increasing chafe/wear, accidental jibes are always a threat without additional rigging. your vane wont like it much...
all good arguments for a genneker on a top-down furler. sail a bit hotter angles, steady the motion on long tacks, keep more breeze over the deck etc. just an all-round more utilitarian sail, unless full-crewed and racing.
my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 12:12   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
something to consider is dead-down-wind isnt usually the fastest and is rarely a comfortable point of sail. apparent drops which can make for a hot and muggy day. the boat rolls decreasing comfort and increasing chafe/wear, accidental jibes are always a threat without additional rigging. your vane wont like it much...
all good arguments for a genneker on a top-down furler. sail a bit hotter angles, steady the motion on long tacks, keep more breeze over the deck etc. just an all-round more utilitarian sail, unless full-crewed and racing.
my .02
You are correct if you are talking about a mono, or cat in light winds. Passagmaking in a catamaran on autopilot in the trades with the wind blowing 25kt all day long, preventers in place (that is if the main is even hoisted), ddw is just fine with a sym spin.

No need to reach up for a hotter angle when you are doing close to hull speed and apparent wind is a comfy 10 - 15 kts.

Damn, wish I was out there instead of sitting at this desk thinking about being out there...
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 15:02   #26

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

oops, my bad. just pole-vaulted to the conclusion the OP was mono.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 04:22   #27

i will be ordering state of the art furling gennaker shortly. Hope expense will prove warranted.

Parasailor is not for real sailors.
Old 21-02-2015, 00:21   #28

Quote:
i will be ordering state of the art furling gennaker shortly. Hope expense will prove warranted.

Parasailor is not for real sailors.
You won't be disappointed with a gennaker on a L400. in addition,I'm thinking about a symmetric spinnaker for the DDW days when our genny should be furled.

Would love to try a Parasailor but the price is prohibitive.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 01:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
You won't be disappointed with a gennaker on a L400. in addition,I'm thinking about a symmetric spinnaker for the DDW days when our genny should be furled.

I am keenly waiting to get it.

Parasailor has this association with somewhat handicapped sailors, like families with kids as they have to learn, and similar. If you one of these, fair enough, if not, it unnecessarily takes part of fun from sailing (for extra money).
Old 21-02-2015, 07:25   #30

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Then try a conventional sym spi, especially if you have a cat. I see no benefit of a gimmick "parasailor" over a much cheaper conventional symmetrical spinnaker. Indeed, I see disadvantages. Those parasailor guys have done a terrific job at marketing, IMHO.

For light to moderate winds at very deep angles, sailing a sym spi alone (no main) is like being on a magic carpet ride. The Admiral and I double hand ours very frequently and I have raised and trimmed it single handed while she was busy on something else. We like it so much we bought a spare. The only hard part is socking it if you get caught with it up in increasing winds.

I am waiting to hear an objective assessment from somebody who has sailed both a parasailor and conventional sym spi on a cat. If I'm wrong and there are advantages to the parasailor, it would be hard to imagine they would be worth the extra cost. JMHO

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, wind