Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 18:38   #1

Do you like the fly bridge on the Lagoon 440?

I like everything about the Lagoon 440, but am not sure about the fly bridge. In good weather the visibility seems great, but in rough weather it would seem to be better to have a more protected helm and you would probably interact more with other people on board if the wheel was closer to the cockpit. Also wondering if you have significant extra windage and instability with a higher center of gravity then other configurations.
RiskyScheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 18:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Do you like the fly bridge on the Lagoon 440?

fly bridge works well,you will find people tend to congregate there when sailing.
dodger will stop the worst of the spray if it is rough.
big beamy boat so no issues with stability apart from being over canvassed.
good visibility when manoevering,apart from the last few feet when reversing onto a stern too dock
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 19:46   #3

There is lots on this in the archives - see "search".

You won't find an owner of a 440 that doesn't like the flybridge.

You will find lots of non owners who have strong opinions about how bad they are, or how bad they must be.

There are a few, like Atoll, who sail on lots of boats and who have a balanced view, being able to see positives an a few negatives, not only in regard to the 440, but no doubt with other designs.

It is rare to get spray up there even sailing to windward in 30kts.
I agree with Atoll's comments that you cannot see the sugar scoop when reversing into a dock. You need to rely on you deckhand who will take the lines to give you some guidance. Vision elsewhere is superior to that you will get with most other boats.
There are few other negatives in my "biased" view.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 23:17   #4

atoll, 2 wind

Thanks for the information. I had read at least one previous CF thread and all the views seemed to come from people who had not owned or sailed the 440.
Old 08-07-2015, 00:47   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
You will find lots of non owners who have strong opinions about how bad they are, or how bad they must be.
I have never been on one, so partly fall into that category, but don't have strong opinions on it. I accept that owners like them, and it would be surprising for Lagoon to introduce such a design without doing considerable research.

Maybe it's like the monohull owner who would never want a catamaran, but once having one would never want to go back.

So, a question .....

I like to be able to manage the boat solo, because sometimes I have to. When coming into dock, or to pick up a mooring it's easy with little wind or current. How do you manage in 20 knots when the helm is so far from where you need to be and you don't have that deckhand?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:21   #6
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Whilst l own a Lagoon 450 the format is similar and it's actually the best place to be as the Bimini and covers keep you well out of the wind and weather 👌

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I have never been on one, so partly fall into that category, but don't have strong opinions on it. I accept that owners like them, and it would be surprising for Lagoon to introduce such a design without doing considerable research.

Maybe it's like the monohull owner who would never want a catamaran, but once having one would never want to go back.

So, a question .....

I like to be able to manage the boat solo, because sometimes I have to. When coming into dock, or to pick up a mooring it's easy with little wind or current. How do you manage in 20 knots when the helm is so far from where you need to be and you don't have that deckhand?

More than 50% of my sailing is solo. Having a "blow on" marina berth is a great help, I'll admit. So the only problem is when the wind is (in my case from the west) not in the prevailing direction. I have a dockside sprung pole positioned about 2/3 of the way out on the marina "finger" on which I have a prefitted mooring line (spring). I do have to quickly move from the flybridge so as to the secure it with the boat hook and place it on the midships cleat. Then its easy. I confess, that if the wind is strong I will look for help on the dock (invariably there is someone about), especially if another vessel is in the berth next to me with limited space. Plenty of fenders of course is a safety. The problem of windage is an issue for the big Catana, the FP Oriana and a big Schonning nearbye as well. It would be easier granted, if the helm was closer, (it adds 4-5 second). Overall, it is rarely a major problem that is not manageable. I do understand the issue, nevertheless.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:48   #8
TOT

Have a look at one of my videos

http://youtu.be/FmXdndsCbJs

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 08-07-2015, 03:53   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
...I do have to quickly move from the flybridge so as to the secure it with the boat hook and place it on the midships cleat. ...
If single handed, certainly an issue to deal with. I've run a number of 44's and 50's with flybridges, typically with charter crew so working the docklines is not an issue in that case.

Also boom hight and access to the main (way up there!) is less than convenient.

Good arrangement for charter use or with a lot of guests aboard because it separates working cockpit from guest cockpit.

Otherwise, I agree with Atolls summary and like the flybridge configuration.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:33   #10

I always want to be able to get in and out of my berth in my L450, solo, when the wind is off the finger pier, so here is my patented method;

I have a 4,000kg dynena cord that I run from the aft to forward mooring cleats when needed and up to a flybridge winch so I can slacken or tension the line. The outer bollard on the finger pier has a line with a clip. The clip attaches to the line on the yacht.

As any cat driver knows once you have one point attached you can rotate around that. Going out I attach the clip at the bow and use the engines to rotate the stern in. I can then take all the dock lines off and use the engines to move out with the clip sliding along the line. When nearly out I can slacken the line and take the clip off or let the line run through the the clip but get it in quick so not to tangle the prop.

Coming in I rest the L450 on the well fendered outer downwind pole and easy the port stern back towards the clip (can see the stern on the L450 through the flybridge hatch). Have the line with a lot of slack. When in position grab the clip and attach to line and tighten. You now have full control using engines to slide back in.

Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1436355097.565177.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	104893

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:44   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I don't own a 440 and I don't think I'd like the flybridge. The 450 now comes in a non flybridge version for customers like myself. I've met a lot of 440 and 450 owners and 90% of them love the flybridge. Some of their reasons include
Charter skipper and hostesses : a great place to get away from the guests
A great view for sundowners
A nice place to congregate while sailing

Mine, and some owners reasons for not wanting a flybridge include

Separation from 1st mate while sailing and watch keeping for a couple
A few more steps between the helm and nav desk/galley/ head.
More exposed to the elements unless a full Bimini and enclosure installed which would effect performance and watch keeping.

So on statistics you are more likely to appreciate the flybridge than not, but there is a chance you won't so the safe bet is get on board one for a while before you make the decision to commit to buying.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:51   #12

We are liveaboards and cruise the oceans. Even in sustained 50kts winds the helm is safe; as Atol has quite rightly pointed out, due to the boats wide beam/stability. We put the covers down when there is rain or spray. Atol has nailed it for me too.

Regarding safe watch keeping, we operate 2-way FM radios that clip into our life vests.

We are very content with the flybridge.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 22:32   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Some thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Mine, and some owners reasons for not wanting a flybridge include

Separation from 1st mate while sailing and watch keeping for a couple A few more steps between the helm and nav desk/galley/ head.
We see the flybridge as a whole, separate living area. 7 people can sit there comfortably and we are often both up there or, when we have guests on board, that area becomes a go-to spot of its own; the latter 'feature' is especially handy when the whole family (kids+grandkids) are on board. The flybridge is one of 4 living areas (foredeck incl forward cockpit + aft cockpit + saloon + flybridge) on the L440.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
More exposed to the elements unless a full Bimini and enclosure installed which would effect performance and watch keeping.
There are several bimini options. We prefer the factory standard simply because we rarely use the bimini. If the weather's foul, we'll stay inside until it's necessary to be up there...and then on goes the wet weather gear, no problem and it's certainly no more exposed than any other lower helm position. Whenever we need to be up there, we love the unfettered view and easy access to all the lines. So our bimini only goes up when we're likely to be constantly steering, e.g. rivers or inside passages, and we want the shade. Other L440's, however, have full hard biminis with full covers...and love them too!

Other pluses include...

• great aspect for spotting wildlife and other vessels...a vastly better perspective than deck level
  • a magic spot for lying and watching the stars during night passages in fine weather
  • keeps the aft cockpit completely free of lines
The bottom line for us is that we love the flybridge.

That said, we fully respect Monte's (always well considered and expressed!) views. Each to their own!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 23:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
We are liveaboards and cruise the oceans. Even in sustained 50kts winds the helm is safe; as Atol has quite rightly pointed out, due to the boats wide beam/stability. We put the covers down when there is rain or spray. Atol has nailed it for me too.

Regarding safe watch keeping, we operate 2-way FM radios that clip into our life vests.

We are very content with the flybridge.
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2015, 00:03   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

It's the best having a flybridge.
Those who dont miss out, too bad so sad.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440